NAD! Vox AD50VT - Anyone still using theirs?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by dreamingtele, Jan 30, 2018.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I wouldn't do that. Think about it, the speaker was made specifically to have a very flat response, and react well to the modeling software to bring forth a wide range of tones, from "country deluxe" to "stoner halfstack". I mean, it's your amp, go for it. But it seems to me that the corporation (hopefully) did your homework on this for you, you know?

Wait now though just a second, I just noticed you said speakerS. Are we talking about the same amp, here? The AD50VT? There is a single 12" in that amp

Piggy Stu likes this.
  2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Sorry, yes Speaker. I just wanted to know if anyone did it and what's the effect on the tone, if it made it louder, cleaner, or something, be it a good change or not. Im not in a hurry to change anything. I need to build my gear up after moving countries and Im okay with this amp to set the platform of my tone. Obviously, the pedals will have to play nicely with the amp.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

dreamintele, try taking the back off that thing. It's free, quick, completely reversible, and makes a HUGE difference in both weight and sound

4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I think those have an external speaker jack? You might use that to eval different speakers. I think most came with a Celestion Seventy 80, with maybe a few having a Wharfedale similar to a GSH1230. The amp design relies on those speakers to cover an extreme range, from blackface to high gain sounds. You might favor the Fender cleans or the Marshall gain with a speaker change, but probably not both. Speaker swap might be in order If you are only interested in one end of that spectrum.

PS - the back stays off my Valvetronix.

Chicago Slim and blowtorch like this.
  5. dreamingtele

I took it off and quickly tested it. Does make a ton of difference. it got relatively lighter, and yes, it definitely sound nice. its hard to describe, but the Boutique OD seem to be more "open" as well. I couldnt really get the volume past 3, but I will record some samples on the same volume level as I did in the previous videos. I like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tube was a bit off, so I pushed it in and corrected it. It wasn't buzzing or anything before I took the back off, but it's now secured and all.

So far, Im on the Boutique Clean channel 100% of the time, but the Blackface and tweed tones are really nice as well, the same goes for the AC models. I bought this to decide once and for all which amp I will invest. Ive been amazed with a 59 Bassman tone and thats what I want from a fender, but the Vox chime is really something to listen to, especially live. now, I cannot decide which of these amps to go for. I guess thats the beauty of having an amp like this. No need to spend big bucks, just a turn of the knob and I'm there. almost. LOL

blowtorch likes this.
  6. guitarsgreat101

guitarsgreat101 TDPRI Member

Ive got the 100 watt version. I really love the sounds that I can get out of it.... extremely loud and powerful even at the lowest power rating... Really accurate sounds that I love. I spend most of my time on the AC30 model and am really impressed with the sound. Any tips on how to adjust all the presets, am struggling a bit to set them all to what I like.

7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

That's the lure. The next series had 22 amps. And I think there was another after that having 33 amps! Its kind of maddening, all those amps, plus decent effects [for onboard anyway], four different gain/volume/master/level knobs, and range-ful tone controls - it takes a while just to sweep thru the amps and presets. What a great trainer amp. A must-have for those wanting to survey the range of conventional amps, for a next-step purchase.

I've finally focused on the Fender Tweed, 70's Marshall and Vox AC30 as my favorites. I knew I liked a plexi sound, but these amps helped me select which Fender tone I like, and a surprise discovery was the Vox models - Vox was never on my radar.

8. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

The speaker is similar to the Celestion Seventy 80. It's a full range that is designed to work well, with all of the different models. After my amp blew, I used the speaker in 3 or 4 other, open backed combo's.

I loved the Boutique models on the AD50VT. The closest I've come to a Boutique amp, is my Tony Bruno designed Vox TB18C1. The Celestion G12-65, didn't work for me in this amp. I replaced it with an Eminence Lil' Texas.

[​IMG]

9. dreamingtele

Thats a pretty nice amp! I've been curious of those amps! but sadly I cannot find it here in Melbourne.

Anyway, There's another thing that I'm actually curious about. What pedals are you running through this amp? I'm building my gear from the ground up, so all I have now is my guitar and this amp..

I'm thinking about the Boss DD500 for delays, a klon type OD for stage 1 gain/eq, stage 2 OD/transparent/boost higher gain for solos. thats all. Im kind of a minimalist

10. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

When I played for a recording artist, I had to use supplied back-lines, like a Twin Reverb or JC 120. I started using a Zoom MFX pedal, in order to get my sound, out of most any amp. I liked the Tape Echo, Delay, and Tremolo. Overdrives are OK. Plus, it also does EQ and works as a Tuner. I still always carry it. I'm just starting to get away from an MFX pedal, if I use my Katana, as a Grab & Go amp.

Jim Dep likes this.
  11. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

You get my thumbs up for your signature !

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    gkterry and Chicago Slim like this.
  12. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

I had a ADVT15 a few years back. I liked it for what it did well, and for me it was that "old VOX" Beatles rhythm tone I could get. It could be loud for a little home practice amp, but I usually played it at low volume. The effects weren't that great and I don't think it took pedals that well, being it had an unpleasant distortion if whatever I plugged into it had too hot of a signal and I found that difficult to adjust, based on the pedal arrangements I had. For the 60's styles that I did use it for, I was happy with it.

I heard a lot of good things also about the ADVT30 for a home practice amp. I don't know anyone who gigged with one but I think it would sound just fine on a stage too which I'd think would be true for the bigger models in that series.

13. dreamingtele

I hope having the 50w version would give more headroom and be pedal friendly. I dont have any pedals for now, and I enjoy plugging it straight and use the clean tones. hopefully when I get to the pedal building, the pedals Im choosing will play well with the amp

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.