NAD! Vox AD50VT - Anyone still using theirs?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by dreamingtele, Jan 30, 2018.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

So, I just got this amp for 130usd. Anyone has this as their bedroom/gigging amp? Any changes you did on it?

I was looking for a cheap amp that I can take to gigs without having to worry about banging it up or something.

I've always wanted a Vox, but I cant ignore a nice Fender Tweed/Blackface or a Marshall tone. I think this one does a few of those amps pretty well.

First impressions, it's loud. And I cannot get past volume 3 in the bedroom, otherwise, my neighbors will knock on my door with the police behind them.

The reverb effect is just right for my taste. I cannot comment on how close the reverb is to a real tank reverb, I never had a really decent tube amp with a real spring reverb tank, but I like it.

I really dont care on the effects on this, other than the reverb, still sounded good, but very boss-like, digital.

all the clean amp models in this amp are really good as what the reviews say. the gain amp models, I dont really care as well, but I tried the Boutique OD, which they say is a Dumble OD Special cranked, sounds really nice!

Cleans are surprisingly good. Better than the previous amps I had before. (Fender Frontman 65R, Roland Cube 80x, Peavey Bandit)

The tone is really warm. I feel like it's the rosewood neck's tonal characteristics that makes it a bit warmer than I remember when the tele had the maple neck on. The amp can be suited to my taste, but now I dont know which to tweak first, the guitar's pickup heights or the amp's knobs.

But yeah, I just hope this one lasts until I find an amp that I can really invest on.

Jim Dep and Fatstring like this.
  2. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

I have the 30 watt version, yes, they are louder than one would think. when i flip guitars and folks come to test them i use the clean set up and always get a comment that the amp sounds great..

not sure if you checked out the Vox preset forum share site, but a lot of settings to go thru here ....

http://www.valvetronix.net/valvetronix/ad15,30,50,100-vt-vth/model_1_date_1.html

enjoy the new amp, I'm sure you'll find some useful settings the more you use it

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Awesome amp, this one and the 30. I still have both, and rea
    lly
    had no reason to look further

4. dreamingtele

Im so glad to see that there are a few still using these amps. I thought Im the last person on earth to acquire one and I still have to discover it's potential. I feel like an archaeologist unearthing a dinosaur or something. LOL

I like it so far. The power attenuator at the back kind of squeals when I move to lower power, so I'll just stay at full 50 watts. Pretty silent, no hum, no buzz, no scratchy knobs or anything even when master volume was full on cranked.

5. Fatstring

Fatstring TDPRI Member

Yes I have the 30VT, bought about 2006 or so. I always liked boutique clean or boutique OD settings best. It’s a nice little amp, the 50 must pack a punch, enjoy!

6. tomtama

tomtama TDPRI Member

I had an AD30VT. I liked it, but I gave it to my son when he started to get serious about playing guitar. He's had it for over 2 years now and he's enjoying it.

7. dreamingtele

Hoping this one will last just as long, or until I get to decide which sonic territory Id want to invest in, a Vox, a Fender, or etc,.

8. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

I had one and really liked it. I bought an AD50VT, with the traditional Vox grill cloth. I really liked the Boutique settings, that were dropped in the new models. Sadly, mine didn't last. Even though it was bench tested for 12 hours, by the company that modified the grill cloth. I went through two of them, in a year and a half. But, I am hard on equipment. I was a full time musician, and this was the amp that I used for band practice. It didn't hold up to all the miles that I had to travel.

dreamingtele likes this.
  9. derskine

derskine TDPRI Member

I have a 30VT, it's really decent. Has been my only amp for a while. Just bought a jazz chorus but the Vox will definitely still get used a lot.

10. dreamingtele

Oh man, so sorry to hear that. I'm just discovering what cool tones I can get from this. I bought it used, but it seem it held out pretty well before I got it. No hiss or buzz or anything even every knob turned to max. Hoping it stays that way.

11. dreamingtele

Thats another amp in my list! I just love the cleans on a jazz chorus!

12. dreamingtele

Amp dialed in and finally got a little bit of rest time to adjust the pickups and begin that never ending chase for the tone in my head. The Rosewood neck really gives off that warm woody tone so pickup heights needed to compensate a bit. Still a long way from getting it right, this will probably take a while but I’m a happy camper. Pretty good tones coming out of the Vox. I got more than I bargained for.

Please forgive the sloppy playing, still practicing my blues and my technique, everything needs improvement. I keep hitting other strings, it's frustrating.

Chicago Slim likes this.
  13. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I have the 15 watt option. Actually went to buy a guitar for 100 bucks. Guy has this little amp which he let me try out the guitar with. Played a couple of chords and told him I would take it (Ibanez strat) and he starts unplugging everything. I put the guitar in the gig bag (yeah, $100 and it had a gig bag) and start to the door. The seller follows me to the door with the amp hanging from his hand. I get to the door and turn and tell him thanks and he says no problems and then follows me to the car. At this point I am getting a little weirded out. So I open the back door and put the guitar on the backseat and the seller steps around the door and puts the amp in the floorboard. Turns and shakes my hand tells me to enjoy and heads back in.
    My wife was in the car. She says, “you bought that amp too?” And she did not believe till I mentioned I only walked in with a C note. She then says, “well that was a good deal” which I agreed with.
    Took the back off of mine and it really sounds much better. Really nails the AC tones. And the fender blackface is not bad either.

davidchagrin and dreamingtele like this.
  14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I have the 30 and the 100 watt versions, with footswitch. I like both but I could also sell them on tomorrow without blinking. Each was bought because they fell under my nose cheap and I genetically struggle to resist a bargain

The music I really like is old blues music and neither quite capture the sounds from that era, so as good as they are they just don't hit the spot for me

People who run down modelling amps just don't seem to understand a little fun. I also have a Roland micro cube that fell into my hands that is a laugh. All good stuff and cheaper than I could replace valves in my big Fender

davidchagrin likes this.
  15. LarryInTexas

LarryInTexas Tele-Meister

I also have the 30w version, and I love it. Not just the great tones, but it's so light and easily carried (I'm 63 and appreciate not lifting a backbreaking amp.)

16. dreamingtele

The 50w version is quite a weight to carry. It's not as heavy as tube amps, but still substantial weight. Its a good wattage for me as I need that clean headroom anyway, and would love to have the option to have more volume when needed.

This sounds better than the other amps I've owned, Fender Frontman 65R, Peavey Bandit, but ever so slightly better than the Roland cube 80x.

17. blowtorch

Removing the back results in a noticeable weight change.

18. dreamingtele

I will try this tonight! Thanks for the tip!

19. blowtorch

You bet! I was very happy with the results when I did this. It also reduces the low-end boominess of it, and "opens up" the sound of it. To me, it was a win-win.

20. dreamingtele

I seem to get that low end boom. I thought it was just my rosewood neck giving that low end warm tone.

Have you tried changing the speakers?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.