NAD! Vox AC4 TV 10”- my first tubes!

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
Follow up to my recent inquiry:
talk me into, or out of, a tube amp

Vox 4w 10” beauty! 😍
0D0F8CD5-62BA-4B9D-B608-B2D82A8C1301.jpeg

I tried this and a Vox MV50 w/ an 8” cabinet. Both sounded spectacular! At first I was leaning towards the separates, simply based on features (headphones out and cabinet possibilities.) but the true tube amp won out! Extension speaker out should give me some room to grow too.

Super simple controls:
187C6F27-BC6D-4BAD-AFB3-FF759B4676CB.jpeg

Got it from my local guitar store, always try to support them when I can.

The tone is glorious, I need nothing more. A real GAS buster- I’m one happy camper! 🤩

3F9156AC-03E0-4FE3-B0F0-2068B66DD26C.jpeg

Ok, back to the woodshed. Thanks for stopping by!

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
Those are really nice amps. I had the smaller version (the TV-Mini). I liked the Vox sound so much I ended up trading it in toward an AC4C1 which has the AC30 Top Boost circuit. I liked this one even more but ended up trading it toward an AC4HW1 which also has the AC30 Top Boost circuit (including HOT and COOL modes).

This Vox thing can be addictive. Be careful...😎

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
Anyone have recommended extension cabinets? It looks like the manual recommends only 16ohm cabinets?

I’m generally a “matching cabinet” guy (maybe it’s a bass player thing) but was thinking another 10” would be pretty righteous! 🤘

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
Anyone have recommended extension cabinets? It looks like the manual recommends only 16ohm cabinets?

I’m generally a “matching cabinet” guy (maybe it’s a bass player thing) but was thinking another 10” would be pretty righteous! 🤘

I bought a head cab for my Lil Dawg 5e3 and it was high quality. He has a lot of options for speaker cabs.

I've also used old solid wood end tables and installed a baffle. Here's one I made from a circa 1964 Thomasville solid oak end table. ($20).

Attachments

• IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 7

BradKM

Tele-Afflicted
I've got the same amp, and for a while had a matching Vox 2x12" that I could run it through. That really opens it up and lets it shine.

I eventually traded away the extension cabinet, but kept the little combo. It's a lot of fun, and a nice unique outlier in my stable of mainly Fender amps.

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
I've got the same amp, and for a while had a matching Vox 2x12" that I could run it through. That really opens it up and lets it shine.

I eventually traded away the extension cabinet, but kept the little combo. It's a lot of fun, and a nice unique outlier in my stable of mainly Fender amps.
Cool! I’m just playing at home now. Just kinda wanted to get my feet wet. Prepared to get a cabinet, or just plain get something bigger, I’ll cross that bridge later.

But for now, I’m rocking in style! 😎

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
Just a little update: had the house to myself today and got my first chance to really crank this baby!

First, it’s so loud! Surprisingly so. I could probably go into jams with a mild mannered drummer, but time will tell on that one… plenty of power for my needs ATM though! (That’s 4w mode).

I found the 1/4w mode sounds a bit choked compared to the 1w mode. I’ll have to play around with levels (getting good saturated tone VS appropriate “around the house” volume). even 1w mode gets loud very quickly.

Had more time to A/B with my Champion 20 a bit more too. I’ll say the Vox sounds better, more clear and “open”; but it’s close. I honestly could have kept on rolling with the C20. But, I’m still glad I have it, it’ll come in handy, and at the very least I can rest easy with satisfied curiosity!