NAD: Vox AC15 (royal blue), Sweetwater Deal

WalATX

TDPRI Member
I know the Blue will be a much more authentic tone, but I always like ceramic speakers better than alnico for some reason. I know it is sacrilegious to say that…
I am the same way, although that’s like saying I like chocolate ice cream better than vanilla.

The real deal is a twin speaker setup with one of each!

MarkWW

Tele-Meister
I struggled to get comfortable with my AC15C1 - probably something I missed trying to dial it in. Plus it was quite heavy by comparison to my Fenders. Purchased the AC10 just out of curiosity and it turned out to be that 60's sound that was in my head. Sound appreciation is subjective but I am subjectively biased towards mine.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
If you are between 20 and 40 and gigging ...fit as gym instructor...and can bench press 48lbs regularly then go for it....if you're between 20 and 70...unfit and can barely lift 48lbs but the amp is going to stay in one place in your bedroom for 20 odd years...go for it...if you're unfit and gigging every week pass on it cos it weighs the same as a small car and you'll end up in hospital !!
Say wha-a-at? My friend has one and he's 81 and in OK shape for his age. He hauls it to gigs 3 times a week. I know they make lighter amps, but 48 lbs. is not that heavy, especially if you want the Vox sound. And Harbor Freight and other places have these little collapsing aluminum handcarts that are convenient for this.

20211219_201347.jpg
20211219_201412.jpg

Last edited:

zhyla

Tele-Meister
I struggled to get comfortable with my AC15C1 - probably something I missed trying to dial it in. Plus it was quite heavy by comparison to my Fenders. Purchased the AC10 just out of curiosity and it turned out to be that 60's sound that was in my head. Sound appreciation is subjective but I am subjectively biased towards mine.

Hmm, I’m struggling to get comfortable with mine as well. Really has to be dialed in just so.

I’ve concluded I don’t much care for the top boost channel. And the normal channel is too dark for my new Revstar. I may need to explore the AC-15 with pedals though. Because I’m theory it has everything I need (reverb, tremolo, dirt) I haven’t spent much time putting overdrives in front of it.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If you are between 20 and 40 and gigging ...fit as gym instructor...and can bench press 48lbs regularly then go for it....if you're between 20 and 70...unfit and can barely lift 48lbs but the amp is going to stay in one place in your bedroom for 20 odd years...go for it...if you're unfit and gigging every week pass on it cos it weighs the same as a small car and you'll end up in hospital !!

That's why I sold my Super Reverb, great sound, killer weight. I have been enjoying the little brother (or cousin) to the AC15 for years, Vox Pathfinder 15r. Truly grab and go and a great sound for my needs.

Congrats to the OP! Glad you found your sound. Sometimes you just have to go ahead and buy it to see if all that GAS was worth it! I agree that Vox sound is great with Telecasters.

tweeet

Tele-Afflicted
Say wha-a-at? My friend has one and he's 81 and in OK shape for his age. He hauls it to gigs 3 times a week. I know they make lighter amps, but 48 lbs. is not that heavy, especially if you want the Vox sound. And Harbor Freight and other places have these little collapsing aluminum handcarts that are convenient for this.

View attachment 1049586 View attachment 1049587
81 !!!!!!! I tip my hat to him....that's one dedicated bloke :)

bluescube

Friend of Leo's
Hmm, I’m struggling to get comfortable with mine as well. Really has to be dialed in just so.

I’ve concluded I don’t much care for the top boost channel. And the normal channel is too dark for my new Revstar. I may need to explore the AC-15 with pedals though. Because I’m theory it has everything I need (reverb, tremolo, dirt) I haven’t spent much time putting overdrives in front of it.
Try top boost with treble all way down and bass at 11 o’clock

bluescube

Friend of Leo's
I'm loving my AC15 on top boost channel with gain way up, bass turned down to 11:00 and treble off. Cut at about 1:0. Great crunch tones with my humbucker guitar

MarkWW

Tele-Meister

Hey I hope you can dial it in. It is so well loved but my preference is the AC10. Good Luck.

MissoulaGriz

TDPRI Member
Congrats on the new Vox. There’s something about Vox tones that are incredible with Telecasters.
I’ve got an older AC15C2 with an Avatar Alnico A25 and Greenback mix and it’s been a great amp for live use.
I recently added the AC15HW1 to my stable with the Greenback and it’s truly the best amp I’ve ever played.
Both Normal and Top Boost channels are great with the Tele but Top Boost takes some time to really dial in and can be subjective to how high you can get the master volume, which really opens the amp up and allows it to shine on Top Boost.

Here are my Top Boost settings for light to medium Tele crunch and then I use a Prince of Tone set to Boost mode for leads:
TB Channel volume - 1:00
Treble -11:00
Bass - 9:30 (gotta be careful with bass or it gets flubby quickly)
Tone Cut 10:00
Master - 12:00 or higher

These settings yield a very nice, tight Tele tone with my Tele volume rolled back 20% and Tele tone rolled back 10%. This gives me room to increase volume/gain and tone from there.

muscmp

Friend of Leo's

on mine, i use a morley aby pedal and dial in the two volumes to my liking. great sound. no need for any pedal.

play music!

papa32203

Tele-Afflicted
Tried…. no joy. It’s ok. The normal channel is fine. I think I just need to put an overdrive in front of this and keep the channel volume a little lower.
Google "AC15 Top Boost mod". Simple delete of one resistor, if I remember. Did it to the AC15 I had and liked it. Sold the amp just because I wanted a new flavor.

zhyla

Tele-Meister
Google "AC15 Top Boost mod". Simple delete of one resistor, if I remember. Did it to the AC15 I had and liked it. Sold the amp just because I wanted a new flavor.
Eh, I'm pretty sure I'm going to unload it first chance I get. I had been Vox-curious for a long time and figured buying a demo unit with the non-standard blue covering would be an easy out if it didn't pan out.

Because of this, despite my tendency to mod things that need modding, I'm not going to tamper with this one. It's already tucked out of the way where kids won't bump into it so it stays pristine.

Bought a lot of stuff this year, a 65PRRI, a 68CVR, this AC-15, a Sire L7, and a Revstar RS620. A lot more gear than I typically buy. The Sire ended up being a return (damaged), the AC-15 will get sold, and my goodness that Revstar is a keeper.

radiocaster

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm trying to find white or cream knobs for mine. Haven't been able to find push-on 6mm ones, only ones for solid shafts with a set screw.
I don't have that amp, but I've put knobs with set screws on those types of shafts, with teeth or whatever they're called, with no problems.