NAD: Vox AC15 (royal blue), Sweetwater Deal

8bit

Tele-Meister
I'd been in the market for a new amp for months now. I love my Marshall and JC22 but just wanted something a little different to mix things up. I was actually looking at higher end stuff like Mesa and Friedman. But I was having trouble justifying the cost, considering I really love what I already have and was mainly just wanting something for a different flavor. Also, given my aforementioned amps, I knew you can sstill get really great tones without having to spend 2 grand.

Enter the AC15. While I obviously was plenty familiar with the AC series and a lot of my very favorite artists use them, I'd just never seriously considered them as an option for myself, for whatever reason. I saw the deal on Sweetwater and basically purchased it on a total whim. Really I was tired of hemming and hawing over my next amp purchase. I figured why not. It was a hell of a deal and in the event I hated it Sweetwater has a great return policy.

I've only spent a few days with it. But so far I'm absolutely loving everything about this thing (and damn just look at that color). The tone is just glorious and I haven't even got into the Top Boost yet as I wanted to really familiarize myself with the normal channel first.

I'm always wary of honeymoon periods but I honestly have a feeling this one is the real deal. It's exactly what I was looking for and didn't even realize. Funny how that works.

Cheers guys! Love this forum and looking forward to participating more.

Screenshot_20221006-124735_Gallery.jpg

G Stone496

Tele-Meister
I'd been in the market for a new amp for months now. I love my Marshall and JC22 but just wanted something a little different to mix things up. I was actually looking at higher end stuff like Mesa and Friedman. But I was having trouble justifying the cost, considering I really love what I already have and was mainly just wanting something for a different flavor. Also, given my aforementioned amps, I knew you can sstill get really great tones without having to spend 2 grand.

Enter the AC15. While I obviously was plenty familiar with the AC series and a lot of my very favorite artists use them, I'd just never seriously considered them as an option for myself, for whatever reason. I saw the deal on Sweetwater and basically purchased it on a total whim. Really I was tired of hemming and hawing over my next amp purchase. I figured why not. It was a hell of a deal and in the event I hated it Sweetwater has a great return policy.

I've only spent a few days with it. But so far I'm absolutely loving everything about this thing (and damn just look at that color). The tone is just glorious and I haven't even got into the Top Boost yet as I wanted to really familiarize myself with the normal channel first.

I'm always wary of honeymoon periods but I honestly have a feeling this one is the real deal. It's exactly what I was looking for and didn't even realize. Funny how that works.

View attachment 1037308
Way cool. I saw this same deal and ordered one a couple days ago. It’s supposed to arrive Monday. When you try the Top Boost, post about it and tell us what you think. About the “honeymoon period,” if you keep playing it long enough and put enough hours on it, the Greenback speaker will break in and give you a fuller richer sound. Kind of a reverse “honeymoon period.”
Cheers

KC

Poster Extraordinaire
I've had mine for 8 years now, original everything except reverb tank and tubes, and even there I just go with JJ el84s when it feels like it's time. Great sounding amp. No problems at all. I think the Greenback sounds good. Loud enough for most gigs. Hope you all enjoy yours as I have enjoyed mine.

The reverb tank swap is totally worth it, by the way.

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
Nice amp! Hang onto that sweet blue tolex. You’ll look good while you sound good and that is always a good deal.

BTW I’ve long thought a Vox and Tele is a winning combination. So much versatility in that setup between your amp’s clarity, the tele’s tone knob and the selector switch.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
I have had the AC15 C1 for a while now, but I had to change a few things to get it where I wanted it to be. First off, the Celestion Greenback is a great speaker for some amps, but not the AC 15 (in my opinion). I swapped that out immediately for a Weber Blue Dog 50watt to give it more headroom. I also swapped out the original tubes for JJ's and am much happier with the performance. I installed the Greenback in a different amp, and it works much better in that one.

I also purchased a VOX AC 10 in that Sweetwater sale. That amp I didn't have to do one thing to it. It sounds great right out of the box.

Stratoman85

TDPRI Member

View attachment 1037308
Great sounding amps. What speaker does that one have? Alnico Blues came in some of the optional ones, and they are a much different sounding speaker.

If you decide you are a Vox guy, get a Winfield Cyclone on your next amp purchase!

Stratoman85

TDPRI Member
I have had the AC15 C1 for a while now, but I had to change a few things to get it where I wanted it to be. First off, the Celestion Greenback is a great speaker for some amps, but not the AC 15 (in my opinion). I swapped that out immediately for a Weber Blue Dog 50watt to give it more headroom. I also swapped out the original tubes for JJ's and am much happier with the performance. I installed the Greenback in a different amp, and it works much better in that one.

I also purchased a VOX AC 10 in that Sweetwater sale. That amp I didn't have to do one thing to it. It sounds great right out of the box.
I know the Blue will be a much more authentic tone, but I always like ceramic speakers better than alnico for some reason. I know it is sacrilegious to say that--especially when a Vox is involved, but that's always been my opinion.

Either way, I still agree with you that the Blue sounds fantastic.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
I always like ceramic speakers better than alnico for some reason. I know it is sacrilegious to say that--especially when a Vox is involved, but that's always been my opinion.
If it sounds better to you, then that's all that counts. You have to sculpture your tone as you see fit and are comfortable with. Pretty much everyone on this forum has their own idea of what sounds good, but that is only a guideline. The final jury is up to you.

bluescube

Friend of Leo's
I bought the same amp from Sweetwater. I find that using the Top Boost channel, to turn the treble all the way down when cranking the gain. A great crunch tone.