1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD. Vox AC 10 again!

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Dobronaut, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

Used to have one when they first came out. I was fond of it when it worked, but after it let me down 3 times (various problems) it went back to Vox under guarantee. I swore I would never have another. I now use a SS Peavey for live work. Well I did until March! Whatever, I fancied a valve amp again for home and studio use, and went to my local store to try the Blackstar 10's, which based on reviews and online vids looked like what I wanted. They were OK, but only OK. The 6l6 version was lifeless, the kt88 hard and harsh and the el34 just plain dull. I was disappointed. The sales guy suggested a vox ac10, so I thought I'd have a go just for old times sake. It was better than I remembered. Much, much better. Rich, expressive, I could get Frisell cleans, great Americana tones, and wonderful edge of breakup. In fact any tone I wanted. It was so much better than I remembered. The sales guy then explained that it was a special edition - the Vox AC10C1 VB. I hadn't noticed the Vintage Black finish, and the slightly different speaker cloth. More importantly it had a Celestion g10 creamback and JJ valves. I bought it on the spot.

I've played it every day for the last couple of weeks, and I'm still in love! The thing I notice most is that it emphasises the difference in each pickup position in my tele, and they are all lovely. It's quieter than my old one too. If I want a more fendery tone I just use my Joyo AS pedal. I'm a very happy Vox man. Just hope it lasts longer than my old one. Oh, and I'd forgotten just how cute they look. How can so much come out of such a small box? Makes me smile!

2. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

AC is king! The Creamback is a terrific speaker. Congrats!

3. havlma1

havlma1 Tele-Meister

Congrats! I've also tried Creamback in my AC10C1 and I felt it lacks bit of the chime the original VX speaker had. However I use VT Junior now, which has both the chime just like the VX speaker and in addition a firm bottom end and sounds great when overdriven. However I think I need to buy a G10 Greenback to give it a try as well :)

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Great sounding amps—congrats on your acquisition!

I would have one of those tomorrow if it just had a tremolo circuit...

5. MrMatt1972

MrMatt1972 TDPRI Member

I just got one yesterday. Yes, I wish it had tremolo, but I have a couple options for tremolo pedals. I had my Oceans 11 in the chain so I've used it so far. Not disappointed at all.

^^ a quick little demo I made

philbeck and Fiesta Red like this.
  6. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Sounds good!

7. philbeck

philbeck TDPRI Member

Good job nice demo. They really are great sounding amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.