1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD: VHT Special 6 Combo....surprised how good it is...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bluesholyman, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congratulations.

2. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

I have one like it. It's a great little amp. I use it for practice and recording and setups. It's never been out of the house, and I still have stock tubes. It's a bargain.

bluesholyman likes this.
  3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Cool. Congrats.

4. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

The stock speaker in this amp is good....works well, but still felt like I wanted to replace it...

WGS Veteran 10" 16 Ohm incoming - at 20 watts, it seems the perfectly suited.

I listened to a youtube video of that speaker, but different amp, and it was such a great sound. I'm sure the amp has something to do with it, but the speakers sounded incredible - that sold me... here is the video for reference - headphones really make it shine. I think the guy is just using a condenser mic of some sort as you can hear the air in the room, but its a good recording of the amp/speakers...

5. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

9C8B158A-4C4A-4A0A-93AD-1D717B1CE8D8.jpeg My head came the other day and I’m really digging it. Is there a version with this grill cloth or has it been modded? I couldn’t find any pics like it online. It also came with Tung Sols so someone has been in there.

6. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Cool! EH 12ax7 have a high gain rating compared to JJ so that might help boost the gain.

7. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Y'all are killing me...I have both the Special and Ultra on my "6V6" short list vs Egnater Tweaker 15. I'm gonna have to decide soon so I can get on to other things.

Edit: 30 minutes later, there is an Ultra on Reverb for <$200. Done deal. A 6V6 for my arsenal. NAD coming.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    bluesholyman likes this.
  8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Not factory. You can even see the cloth is a bit wavey. I prefer the stock look to the custom Fenderization. Reminds me of a big reverb unit.
    Great amp and Tung Sol's are good. Congrats on the amp.

davenumber2 likes this.
  9. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Thanks. It makes me wonder if anything else inside has been modded.

10. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What took you so long? I have had a SP6 Ultra head for many years now. These amps are the best value out there IMO. Enjoy yours.

olefudd likes this.
  11. bluesholyman

So looking at it, feels like a step backwards - that stock magnet is impressive.

The WGS Veteran doesn't sound bad at all, sounds good actually. Not sure yet if it sounds better though. Need to play with it some more. Not much quieter than the original speaker that I can tell.

fullsizeoutput_3bb.jpeg

12. bluesholyman

I decided to go back to the VHT stock speaker for now. The black mesh protective screen had been cut out and I wanted to put something back there, just because, so I cut a piece of expanded metal to replace the screen with. I think the tubes and speaker are safe now...might paint it black if I'm feeling ambitious...

fullsizeoutput_3c6.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.