NAD VHT Special 12/20h

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by doggy1972, Jul 4, 2012.

1. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

The title is probably deceptive as, Ive had this amp for 4 days but, work has been busy so Ive not had a chance to really try it out.£241 from Thomann shipped.
    Cranked it tonight with the stock tubes though an open backed 1x12 cab (Eminence legend 1216a) Oh my!!! Sounds great. Up loud smooth mids. Really nice bottom end. Sparkly treble. Not played many BF Fenders but, heard quite a few. I would say, its in that ball park. Now have a pair of TAD 6L6GC-STRs burning in. Cant wait!!!

2. fender62custom

fender62custom Tele-Holic

Congrats & enjoy!! no pics?

3. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

Thanks fender62custom. Only got a pic of the rear panel a shot earlier. Will post more when I get chance. 6l6s burning in

4. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

5. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

Gigging with it Sunday. With hopefully have more to report after that. Hoping 20w can hang with the drummer (very loud)

6. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

Gigging with it Sunday. With hopefully have more to report after that. Hoping 20w can hang with the drummer (very loud)

7. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

I like the DC out for pedals!

8. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

Yeah, me too.Works really well too.Not noisy at all. Played a jam with the amp yesterday. Really impressed. Clean all the way up the dial with an 12AT7 PI.Very nice for some tele twang . Bit of hum but, could have been the pub wiring. The boost switch works with a slight volume boost but, thats managable giving some really cool grind. Hung with a (loud) drummer in a 5 piece easily without being cranked (3 oclock) It also loved every pedal I threw at it (mainly OD) I would say that it would prob need miking in a very noisy venue but, plenty loud in smaller places. The head is also VERY compact and fits into a large holdall. Overall VERY good piece of kit :)

9. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

Interesting stuff, just snagged a special 6 on ebay so we'll see how they compare.

10. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

I might have to snag one of these someday.

11. filmix2

filmix2 Tele-Holic

So I am very intrigued by this model.

Have you experimented with the FX loop?

What would you say this amp sounds similar to? Blackface, mids-scooped?

Did you rely solely on pedals for breakup??

There is a relative abundance of info on the Special 6, but the rest of the field is virtually a secret.
    Glad to hear it is working out for you!

12. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

Thanks filmix2
    I found a bit of diligent preamp tube tweeking can go a long way. As I said.Cleans can be had very easily cranked (20w with 6l6) Dirt on tap with the footswitchable boost which bypasses the scooped tonestack.
    I really had to turn down the tone knob as this is a rather bright amp. Alternatively the 3 way texture switch takes off quite a lot of top end but, seems to increase mids a fair bit.The depth rotary is VERY effective and adds A LOT of bottom end.
    I used my dirt pedal to take it over the edge but, the boost adds some nice crunchy overdrive. The amp is def american voiced scooped mid

13. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

Re FX loop. Havnt really messed with it (to run FX through) but, what is quite interesting is using the controls in conjunction with the Watts control (power scaling) Lots of different drive settings to be had using send level, return level, volume and Watts setting. Crunch to bluesy cream at bedroom level. Very versatile

14. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

Steve G, Is that the special 6 or the special 6 ultra?

15. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

Just the normal special 6. Should be here in a day or two.

16. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

Good stuff my friend. The 6 looks like a great amp. The Ultra is nice but, Im pretty sure I wouldnt use the extra features myself (ymmv) Are you planning mods or just leaving it stock? The samples sound pretty good as is imo

17. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

As it is I think, Im not much of an amp modder.. basically dont have any use for extra features or sounds.. my tele has the sounds I need I just need a good amp sound.

18. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

In full agreement Steve. The 12/20 is very moddable but, personally I love the way it sounds anyway. Did you get the head or the combo? I really like the boost BTW. May knock a Tubescreamer or two off the board

19. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

Got the head. Arrived yesterday. Sounds great from a short front room test. The lower power mode isn't half as lively as the full 6 watts though, not as glassy-Fendery or responsive. Very impressed though.. do I still need my tweed pro junior now? mmm...

20. Rydell

Rydell Tele-Meister

Finally some guys tryin those Amps. Got my 12/20 head since March and am happy
    like a hog in the ditch. Hand wired, repeat it, at this price, I dont want to solder I want to play but if I have to.....! I switched to EL34s through a closed 1x12 eminence Lil
    Texas. Speaks loud and clear ROCKNROLL. Tele, Strat,Paul,335 all welcome.
    Honestly I had to have the 12/20 RT too,fantastic value too. I love all my tweeds, BF.
    SF, Marshall amps and them VHTs too. If on budget and want more try them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.