NAD Traynor YBA-1

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by KeepItSimpleTele, Jan 25, 2020.

1. KeepItSimpleTele

KeepItSimpleTele TDPRI Member

4CAB1024-ED37-4209-B78E-BF2AB0931F6A.jpeg F5D92484-3EEA-45A4-A9EB-52E9BC9E061B.jpeg Got a recently bought 1973 Traynor YBA-1 back from my tech. Sounds great! Super loud even on 2.....then starts to crunch up after that all the way to Marshall JTM45 land.

I also have a 1974 YRM-1 and surprised at how much dirtier the YBA-1 gets. People keep saying the YRM-1 is a guitar version of the YBA-1....but it’s clearly not. The YRM-1 is way more like a Super Reverb or something.

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  2. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Congrats. I have two of the YSR-1 amps along with a 68 YBA-1 & 69 YVM-1(PA amp that has been modded). I actually like the YSR-1 amps the best. Mine have slightly modded inputs with a master volume circuit. I like the tone stack of the YSR-1 amps better. than the YBA-1 They are more akin to a 6G early tolex Fender. I have never owned the YRM-1, but I would imagine Traynor toned down some of the mids down so when the reverb was engaged it wouldn't make the overall sound an amorphous reverb blob. That's kind of the compromise one has to make to have onboard reverb with a mid heavy circuit. It's why the Fender AB763 became so mid scooped-Leo & the engineers noticed the onboard became a wash of mids when the first Vibroverb 6G16 was issued. Marshall amps generally don't have onboard reverb with their amps because onboard reverb really doesn't work that well with the basic Marshall take on the 5F6A. They didn't put reverb in their amps until the dreadful Club & Country amps. of the mid 70's The reverb on the JCM-800 amps always sounded like crud to me. It got better with the JCM-900 amps, but then those amps start sounding a bit wimpier even though they have gain out the wazoo.

KeepItSimpleTele likes this.
  3. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Gigged with my YBA-1 for years -- built like a tank. I always thought the bright 'guitar' channel was too bright so I always used the bass channel with a patch lead to mix the two.

4. KeepItSimpleTele

KeepItSimpleTele TDPRI Member

Interesting you mentioned the AB763 Super circuit. I had another TDPRI member once tell me the Traynor YRM-1 more resembles that than the YBA-1. What you say about the reverb on mid heavy circuits makes sense.

5. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Had one for decades. These days it's more "Marshall" than Marshall.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.