NAD: Tonemaster Super Reverb - first impressions

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I always ge a laugh out of this weight thing. WTH?

I used to get a Twin Reverb with JBLs into the back seat of a VW Beetle and then carry it up the stairs of a club where the stage was over the bar. I think I weighed about 128 pounds then. A 30 pound Super Reverb? Geez...

Well, I mighta laughed at it too a few years ago. But, currently, I have a bunch of arthritis and deterioration in my lower back. These days I need lighter guitars and lighter amps as well. But, i still have a need to perform.

Sadly, I lift heavy stuff at work all day, every day. I've been icing my back a couple of times a day this week, and I had to do almost nothing yesterday, trying to give my back a rest. So, laugh all you want.

I did a lotta dumb stuff when i was younger... which is part of why my back is wrecked now.... As I get older, I do actually learn some things. One of those things is that I am not as young as I used to be.

I still huck around my tweed Twin, but I went with neo speakers and it weighs in at a cool 46 lbs. The idea of losing another 10 lbs and getting good tone? I'm okay with that.

Oh, and why is Fender making lighter amps? Because they know us old farts are the ones with the spare cash! LOL

Askwhy

Tele-Holic

I used to get a Twin Reverb with JBLs into the back seat of a VW Beetle and then carry it up the stairs of a club where the stage was over the bar. I think I weighed about 128 pounds then. A 30 pound Super Reverb? Geez...
So cool. Always using twice the weight of what it takes to get the job done is not only macho, it is a sign of great intelligence!

cbnutt

Tele-Afflicted
Well, I mighta laughed at it too a few years ago. But, currently, I have a bunch of arthritis and deterioration in my lower back. These days I need lighter guitars and lighter amps as well. But, i still have a need to perform.

Sadly, I lift heavy stuff at work all day, every day. I've been icing my back a couple of times a day this week, and I had to do almost nothing yesterday, trying to give my back a rest. So, laugh all you want.

I did a lotta dumb stuff when i was younger... which is part of why my back is wrecked now.... As I get older, I do actually learn some things. One of those things is that I am not as young as I used to be.

I still huck around my tweed Twin, but I went with neo speakers and it weighs in at a cool 46 lbs. The idea of losing another 10 lbs and getting good tone? I'm okay with that.

Oh, and why is Fender making lighter amps? Because they know us old farts are the ones with the spare cash! LOL
Yes ! A lot of these people will change there mind someday too on the weight , since getting the tonemaster deluxe , my old one hasnt left the house , it sounds a little better , but i have a broken color bone thats not healing , i can still lift that tonemaster easy .

eddiewagner

Poster Extraordinaire

What an arrogant statement. Enjoy your body while you still can. Time waits for no one…

teletail

Friend of Leo's

Yea, I used to bench press 300 lbs. But at 63, those days are over.

I'm not sure what's so funny about someone not being able to maneuver an 85 lb. amp like a cardboard box.

Someday you'll look back at this statement and think the same thing most of us are thinking right now. ;)

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire

Keep laughing as long as you can.

SoK66

Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure what's so funny about someone not being able to maneuver an 85 lb. amp like a cardboard box.

Someday you'll look back at this statement and think the same thing most of us are thinking right now. ;)

Doubtful. I've never read an article about Eric Johnson where he complained about the weight of his TWO Twin Reverbs.

AlbertoMilanese

Tele-Meister
I used to play a Twin with JBLs and can safely say that I can not and don't want to carry it around anymore. Still, I'm pondering whether to return it or not. I REALLY don't enjoy the long tail on the reverb, and while it's nice to have around, it does not really have anything more to offer sonically than more glassy cleans than my CVR, but less responsive overdrive - at pretty much the same volume. While it's 4 kilos lighter than the CVR, it's a lot more unwieldy as I tried dragging it around the stairs of the house just for fun - and the 19 kilos of the CVR are pretty manageable to begin with!

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

My gigging amps ( now, small, but frequent gigs) are now 18 and 25 lbs.
And still too heavy! ( because I'm too heavy!)
But, really, they are perfect for me.

I'd jump on a TM Super Reverb if I had bigger gigs, or toured. ( got a few buddies with vintage Supers and they are just fantastic)

AlbertoMilanese

Tele-Meister
Finally got around to recording with it - I'm pretty underwhelmed by the line out IRs. This sounds way worse than the TM Deluxe did - which sounded awesome. This Super is very scratchy, especially the SM57 IR. I'm very disappointed, as this was something they got COMPLETELY right in the TM Deluxe - its line out sounded glorious!

Last edited:

Askwhy

Tele-Holic
Finally got around to recording with it - I'm pretty underwhelmed by the line out IRs. This sounds way worse than the TM Deluxe did - which sounded awesome. This Super is very scratchy, especially the SM57 IR. I'm very disappointed, as this was something they got COMPLETELY right in the TM Deluxe - its line out sounded glorious!
Wow, yes the twin was great as well. This is not good, the IR outs are a huge part (for many) of why these are such great tools.

chris m.

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah, if the built in IR isn't good then that drops the value proposition by around $300. $269.99 plus tax to be more precise....

upload_2021-8-12_12-45-49.png