1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD - Tone Master Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Fret Wilkes, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Top is the new Tone Master Twin Reverb that just arrived today. Bottom is my 1968 "Drip Edge" Twin Reverb with Emi Lil Texas speakers. Looking forward to a little "side by each" comparison.

upload_2021-4-20_17-45-48.png

2. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Congrats! BTW, that Dead tapestry rocks...

RoscoeElegante and Fret Wilkes like this.
  3. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Congrats! I really like the TMTR and look forward to the review.

4. Sparky472

Sparky472 Tele-Holic

Interested in your thoughts. Former vintage Twin Reverb owner. I’ve had my Tonemaster a few months and love it.

5. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Love to here your opinions, and an a/b comparison sometime..

Congrats!

Fret Wilkes and Dr Improbable like this.
  6. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Nice quiver you have there.
    I’d be keen to hear your thoughts on the TM vs the Quilter MII you have peeking into the pic.

guitrr, Fret Wilkes and Dr Improbable like this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!
    I'd like to hear your opinion of it versus your "real" Twin.
    I tried a Tone Master at GC recently, and I was impressed!
    It was also very quiet, noise/hum-wise.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  8. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Dude thats great... post your results about the comparison.

Fret Wilkes likes this.
  9. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Cant wait to hear about the similarities and differences. My back just can't move the big boys anymore and the twin is my favorite amp of all time.

VonBonfire and Fret Wilkes like this.
  10. Fret Wilkes

First impressions: WOW! You'd never know this amp wasn't running on tubes. It sounds very, VERY close to my 68 Drip Edge. Like, REALLY close!

The 68 is noticeably louder at the same "setting", but I've got Emi Lil Texas in the 68 which have a 101.2db sensitivity, vs 97db on the Celestions. I don't see the lower sensitivity as a detriment at all. The Celestions even sound a little more "even" across all notes on the guitar as opposed to the Emis that have have some peaks on the G string half way up the neck that are a tad obnoxious at times. I'm assuming that is the speakers as I never noticed those slight peaks when I had Webers in the 68.

The 68 is noticeably noisier. The TM is dead quiet. No noise whatsoever. NICE!

The TM Reverb has a longer tail than the 68, and it comes on further up the dial, at 5 vs 3 on the 68 to roughly the same depth. Again, not a bad thing.

I'm honestly amazed at the sound, and feel of the TM. It sounds, and feels, just like the 68. Reacts identically to my ears. Sounds like a Twin.

I was excited, but nervous to run them side by side figuring the 68 may reveal the TM to be a lesser amp and I might have to ship it back. I can honestly say it's just not the case, it sounds and feels great! Now, these are my impressions. YMMV of course, and playing through one would be best to make your decision, but I think you'd be very, very surprised, and happy.

I've got a Twin Reverb that sounds great, feels great, looks great, and weighs 33lbs. What's not to like? lol It also blows away my Quilter MicroPro Mach II head for "Twin Reverb" sound. The Q gets in the territory, but it doesn't have that 6L6 style "bang" on the low strings that I love and NEED.

I've gotta say I really think Fender knocked it out of the park on this!

11. Fret Wilkes

I got the Quilter Micro Pro Mach II as my first attempt at a "lightweight Twin Reverb". It took me a really long time to dial in the Q. It just wasn't real intuitive for me. I finally got there, and the Q sounds very good, but the TM sounds much more like a "real" Twin Reverb than the Q did, especially on the low strings. I could never really get what I wanted out of the low strings (Think Bill Kirchen) on the Q. The TM's got it in spades.

The Q is a fine amp, but for a simpleton like me, the TMTR looks like the answer to my prayers. I'll keep the Q as a backup I guess, or maybe downsize it to a Q TB202 as a backup. We shall see!

Jakedog likes this.
  12. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nice. Enjoy!

Fret Wilkes likes this.
  13. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I have and like a DRRI and I have a TMDR, too. There are noise differences. The day I bought the TMDR I was packing it up in the showroom to take to the counter and a kid was checking out a nearby, brand-new DRRI. He couldn't get rid of this hum and it was driving him nuts. The store employee said, "The reverb! The reverb!" When the kid turned the reverb to 0 the hum disappeared.

I believe there are some real intangibles with amps, but my TMDR is silent when it comes to internal noise. That experience put a smile on my face before I even left the store.

14. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

Congrats - such a fun amp. What guitar you've been playing through it?

15. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

My 67 pro reverb is in for repair and I'm without an amp. I've seriously considered the tonemaster twin in the past and now I'm considering it again.
    I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the tonal differences are between the black and blonde models?

16. Fret Wilkes

My "Alligator" Strat with 2 x Dimarzio FS-1 (N&M), and 1 Dimarzio SDS-1 (B) along with my stock 2000 Fender 52RI Tele.

pugnax likes this.
  17. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

From what I understand (I could have this wrong) the blonde models have the bright caps clipped, and the reverb is better. Now none of this is real, it’s all in the software, but those are the voicing changes that I’ve heard about.

unixfish and guitrr like this.
  18. Fret Wilkes

I think most of the differences are the speakers: Jensen Neos vs Celestion Neos in the Blonde. The DI's are voiced to those speakers in each amp as well. I don't "think" there are any "circuit" differences. I've only played out of the Blonde, but it sure sounds like my 68.

guitrr likes this.
  19. Fret Wilkes

Jakedog, you are correctomondo on the TMDR as far as the Bright Cap goes, but the Twin still has the Bright Switches.

Jakedog likes this.
  20. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

It's not only that they are great amps (I have the TMDR), but with the attenuator set at .2 or .5 on my Deluxe, I can get great overdriven tones at bedroom volume levels.

Also I recommend the Reverb firmware update (if yours wasn't shipped with it), it tames the Reverb and it makes it usable to the end of the dial.

Fret Wilkes and StevesBoogie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.