1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD: Tokai TA35

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by PGTips, Sep 17, 2015.

1. PGTips

PGTips Tele-Meister

Totally thrilled with this. Solid state, 30 watts, based on the Champ. I just happeded to do a quick search on Ebay yesterday afternoon for any amps in my area. Something small and simple. Low and behold! I popped in on my way home from work to try it out and went back later in the evening. £100 for a rare(ish) gem. It's early to mid 80's although it looks 20 years older than that. The tweed is a little grubby and the chrome has bubbled and rusted in places. It hasn't been particularly well looked after. It's lost 3 of its rubber feet so I've just picked up some replacements and a new plug. The one on it is a bit of a mess and it had a 13 amp fuse in it!
    It sounds great. The volume and tone knobs are a little noisy when dialing (tips for cleaning pots please!). The master volume has a pull boost fuction which takes it from a sweet clean tone to a nicely fractured sound. It's prety loud. I tried 3 of my guitars through it. I have a mid 80's Tokai Breezysound and this is a match made in guitar heaven. Gorgeous.
    I'll post some photos of the two of them together once I've cleaned it up a little. Below are the sellers photos (thanks Pav!).As I said, any tips for cleaning those noisy pots would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Great find :cool: congrats.
    I would love to own one of these '80s TA35.

3. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

PS I'm currently trying to convince a UK seller into shipping a TA35 to Belgium.
    A little over 400 Miles not the other side of the world, fingers crossed!

4. PGTips

PGTips Tele-Meister

Good luck felis. Sweet little amps.

5. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. I read nothing but good things about these amps, I would really like to hear it myself. ;)

6. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Since nobody else replies :lol:, here's my method:

I disassemble the component, carefully clean it and use (very small amount) electronic contact grease from the automotive industry (I'm a mechanic ;)).

I generally don't use contact cleaner myself . But if you decide to use it, I wouldn't spray it directly into an assembled component.

7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

sorry, but a thirty watt solid state amp is not even related to a Champ. Master volume? Tone knob? Pull-boost? is that an effects loop? and a bunch of knobs on the back? What kinda Champ do you think this is based on?

8. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Quite obvious, it looks the part!

9. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

Cool, what are the knobs on the back?

10. PGTips

PGTips Tele-Meister

Thanks Crazy neddie. Treble, middle, bass and reverb.

11. PGTips

PGTips Tele-Meister

Okay jhundt. The key word here is "based". It's not a clone, it's not a replica. It is a small amp covered in tweed. I like it. It sounds nice. :)

12. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

that's OK then! I was just being nit-picky. It does look pretty nice. I remember those early Tokai guitars, they were really nice. If the amp is as good as the guitars, you got a very good amp!

13. PGTips

PGTips Tele-Meister

Thanks jhundt.

14. PGTips

PGTips Tele-Meister

Thanks felis. I've seen a few videos now where contact spray is being liberally sprayed into every opening that can be found! I can live with it as it is right now. Thanks for your advice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.