NAD! The Bandit has landed.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
According to the sticker on the back, 2017 model. Looks like new. Came with the manual, footswitch (usually sold separately), sticker, everything. Except for missing it’s original box and having one stripped screw, which I’ll talk about in a minute, I would rate it mint condition.

5AE3E0DF-0826-41EE-8711-F7B20B99DCD9.jpeg

The low-down:

Bought online from GC used in Oklahoma City. Got here quickly and without incident, which is good considering they packed it like crap. They put it in a box that was way too big and stuffed some paper, one sheet of bubble wrap, and a couple busted pieces of styrofoam in there. Miraculously, UPS did not murder it.

Unpacked it, set it up, and fired it up. This a great amp. It sounds plenty decent, and will be a welcome addition to the gigging herd. Each of the three voicings for each channel sound distinctly different, which is cool. It’s kinda like having a six channel amp. I only need one or two, but there’s no denying the versatility.

Damping switch also makes an audible difference in sound, as well as a difference in how the amp feels to play. These are not gimmicks. They work.

Power scaling likewise. I’ve had amps with power scaling where it really didn’t make a lot of difference in volume, only breakup, or where it had an adverse effect on the sound. This works well. It sounds the same, it just becomes a lower wattage and more quiet amp.

That said- this is NOT a quiet amp. I don’t think I could recommend it for a home player. This guy wants to be on a stage. I think I’ll be able to use it for most of my gigs on the 25% setting. On the full power setting, it is capable of ridiculously crippling volume. Just crazy. It has no issue whatsoever keeping up with my 100 watt 2x12 tube Marshall combo.

The EQ on both channels is highly effective and very useable. The boost is nice, and works well.

Some have complained about the reverb, but honestly it’s fine for me. It doesn’t sound like spring, but it sounds fine. It’s plenty for what I do at around “3” on the dial.

My only complaint was some pretty ugly cab rattle at high volumes. It was not ok, and I thought it might be a deal breaker. Closer inspection revealed a stripped screw on the metal panel with the Peavey logo, causing it to be a little loose. Fixed that, and all rattle was gone.

All in all, for $225, you’d be extremely hard pressed to beat it. After the initial run through, I grabbed my pedal board, and it really works well with pedals too.

I currently own amps from Engl, Marshall, and Orange, as well as a custom built hand wired 18 watter from a local guy. The Peavey will fit right in. Very useable, and a very good value. I was looking for something smaller and lighter than my Marshall, that would have enough headroom to get great cleans with my humbucker guitars. This does it.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
Happy New Amp Day!

startrekqmariachi0.gif

I don’t think I could recommend it for a home player.

I used my Bandit 65 a lot of home, mainly on the clean channel with the volume on essentially 0. I used various modeling and pre-amps with it, most notably a SansAmp GT2. The good thing was that the volume scaled well from 0 on up to too loud to be near without courting hearing damage.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
According to the sticker on the back, 2017 model. Looks like new. Came with the manual, footswitch (usually sold separately), sticker, everything. Except for missing it’s original box and having one stripped screw, which I’ll talk about in a minute, I would rate it mint condition.

View attachment 1028644

The low-down:

Bought online from GC used in Oklahoma City. Got here quickly and without incident, which is good considering they packed it like crap. They put it in a box that was way too big and stuffed some paper, one sheet of bubble wrap, and a couple busted pieces of styrofoam in there. Miraculously, UPS did not murder it.

Unpacked it, set it up, and fired it up. This a great amp. It sounds plenty decent, and will be a welcome addition to the gigging herd. Each of the three voicings for each channel sound distinctly different, which is cool. It’s kinda like having a six channel amp. I only need one or two, but there’s no denying the versatility.

Damping switch also makes an audible difference in sound, as well as a difference in how the amp feels to play. These are not gimmicks. They work.

Power scaling likewise. I’ve had amps with power scaling where it really didn’t make a lot of difference in volume, only breakup, or where it had an adverse effect on the sound. This works well. It sounds the same, it just becomes a lower wattage and more quiet amp.

That said- this is NOT a quiet amp. I don’t think I could recommend it for a home player. This guy wants to be on a stage. I think I’ll be able to use it for most of my gigs on the 25% setting. On the full power setting, it is capable of ridiculously crippling volume. Just crazy. It has no issue whatsoever keeping up with my 100 watt 2x12 tube Marshall combo.

The EQ on both channels is highly effective and very useable. The boost is nice, and works well.

Some have complained about the reverb, but honestly it’s fine for me. It doesn’t sound like spring, but it sounds fine. It’s plenty for what I do at around “3” on the dial.

My only complaint was some pretty ugly cab rattle at high volumes. It was not ok, and I thought it might be a deal breaker. Closer inspection revealed a stripped screw on the metal panel with the Peavey logo, causing it to be a little loose. Fixed that, and all rattle was gone.

All in all, for $225, you’d be extremely hard pressed to beat it. After the initial run through, I grabbed my pedal board, and it really works well with pedals too.

I currently own amps from Engl, Marshall, and Orange, as well as a custom built hand wired 18 watter from a local guy. The Peavey will fit right in. Very useable, and a very good value. I was looking for something smaller and lighter than my Marshall, that would have enough headroom to get great cleans with my humbucker guitars. This does it.
Congrats!

The enthusiasm and detail you place into posts about your gear are GAS-producing every time.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Because I'm old, need readers and have issues with "shiny" I wish they hadn't gone to those ridiculous (for me) reflective knobs. I love everything else about those though.
Yeah, I might change the knobs. They’re impossible to read at pretty much any distance. Lighting doesn’t help either. I’m just in the “turn em til they sound good” mode. But it might be nice to be able to read them.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's

The low-down:

That's the facts Jack! The Bandit be ba-a-ad! I got one in 1986 and it still be kicking a$$!

20210312_181921 (1).jpg

Last edited:

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
The term “Peavey Bandit” is taking me back to the 90’s all the way to 2008 when this is the amp I cut my teeth in, specifically the red stripe ones. But early 2006 i also had the newer Bandits.

There are various amps as well but the familiarity with the Bandit makes it most suitable for my needs (clean pedal platform)

Amazing amp for little money.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Peavey Bandit Amps are famous for real reasons. HNAD!

I currently have the MIA 65, a decade+ old 112 MIC, and a 'Red Line' MIA Studio Pro 2x12 'Bandit'-sister. As the tin says "Loud, Clean, Durable, and takes pedals well".

Does yours have the 'T Dynamic' option like here? It's a good trick setting.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
My first Peavey amp was an early 80s Bandit, later got a Peavey Special 112 (even louder!)
The Transtube versions are more versatile and lighter! the old ones were made out of lead I think.

A lot of amp for the $$ IMO. Enjoy it