1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD: Terror Stamp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mkdaws32, Feb 25, 2021.

1. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Actually, it was last week. TerrorStamp.jpg

I had originally bought a Vox Pathfinder 10 combo (great amp, btw - I was blown away by how good it was) but I returned it in favor of this because I have a couple of 1x12 cabs and this will integrate better with my HX Effects and Tech 21 FlyRig.

It's a 20 watt solid state power amp and a hybrid pre-amp using a single 12ax7 for gain. It's basically a Micro Dark Terror in a pedal format.

This thing has a bit of an identity crisis - it has no idea how small it is ;) It really doesn't sound that great at "bedroom" levels, the gain gets mushy and the bottom end loses it's tightness. Crank it up through my Bassbreaker cab with a Celestion V-Type and it sounds massive, full and tight. Might be the most organic, touch sensitive solid state (ok - hybrid) amp I've ever owned.

Through headphone (or line out for recording) it also sounds amazing and you can get a huge range of tones from creamy, to classic metal, to scooped just by twisting the shape knob.

I wanted to wait a few days, at least, before posting this to give it a proper test drive. Now I want a second one so I can run full stereo with the HX Effects. I already have two of those Bassbreaker cabs.

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve really been curious about this amp, but haven’t wanted to guinea pig one myself.

Some questions-

What’s the impedance on your cab? I have a 16 ohm Egnater 112. I’m worried at 16 ohms it’s only gonna put out ten watts or so and be pretty useless for me.

Is there any clean headroom? Can it stay clean (ish), maybe edge of breakup level gain, and be a usable rehearsal and/or small gig amp?

Thanks.

northernguitar likes this.
  3. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

When I first saw the Terror Stamp, I kinda wished I’d waited. That format would be much more useful to me. I’ve had a Micro Terror for quite a while now, and it’s a surprisingly useful and versatile amp. I usually play it through headphones or a 12” combo’s speaker, but I once had a chance to play it through a 2x12 and a 4x12. That was fun. I’d have to play with a Stamp to see if I preferred the “Shape” control to Tone, but it probably wouldn’t make enough difference to overcome the fact that the Stamp has effects send and two different volume settings. Have fun with that!

northernguitar and Jakedog like this.
  4. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

When the whole tiny terror thing hit the market I got a micro terror and did a side by side between the tiny and micro terrors. They both sounded pretty much the same but the real tiny terror had more balls (read ... bottom end) which I attribute to the iron in the real transformer in the tiny terror. I would imagine the difference is even more pronounced in the stamp with even less iron.

5. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Nice. I want one of these for fun, but also to use as a backup amp for jams/gigs. It may be small, but with a mic on the cab, and the right PA, I could play the Enormodome.

How are the clean tones? Orange doesn't always excel at this (Tiny Terror clean is just dreadful, IMO). However, they appear to be trying to address this in recent years. I REALLY like the 'Natural' channel on my Rocker 15 Terror.

6. mkdaws32

@northernguitar , @Jakedog The cleans are squeaky clean. The preamp tube is not really clipping at this point. They sound big with some healthy bottom end with the Bassbreaker cab (8 ohm). Almost a Vox AC clean meets a Roland Jazz Chorus (which I have owned). But it's not really a clean amp - not a lot of clean headroom. You have to twist the gain down quite a bit which reduces the overall volume a significant amount. But the "edge of breakup" tone is great and most, if not all of the volume is on tap when the gain is pushed up to this point. It is a very loud 20 watt amp, compared to others. The power amp is class A/B, though, not class D like most SS amps - that might be the difference.

@Dan German Despite looking like a Tiny Terror or Micro Terror, it's actually Micro Dark Terror in a pedal format with an extra master volume channel. With the Class A/B SS poweramp, the "iron" would be the same in both the Micro Dark and the Stamp - just a different chassis, really. I've played an original 15w Tiny Terror and this is different - more modern voiced in the mids through most of the spectrum of the shape control - it's going to do modern rock and classic rock better than classic metal (80's metal) in my mind, but that may be the voicing of the V-type speaker I'm using. But with a EHX Crayon in front of it (Timmy clone, I think), it gets very aggressive and "metally" very quickly. Lots of early and late AC/DC tones on tap at moderate volumes, using the just the gain on the Stamp, itself, as well.

Again, this sounds best at moderate to high volumes and gets pretty loud (windows shaking) with an 8 ohm cab. I could gig with it, but it depends on the band - if playing in a rock band that uses ear bleeding decibels on stage and a drummer that uses baseball bats for stick, no 20 watt amp is going to cut it.

Despite it's looks, I would not classify this as a practice amp.

7. mkdaws32

I want to clarify something I said above. In the OP I said you could get classic metal-ish tones through the headphone/line out (using the built in cabinet emulation), but in a later post said it really didn't do the classic metal thing without a pedal in front - that was through my cab and I think the voicing of the V-type speaker has a lot to do with that. So these were not contradictory remarks.

8. Dan German

I know the Tiny Terror is a different animal, but isn’t the Micro Dark much like the Micro Terror, but with the effects loop and the different tone stack? And yeah, the Stamp would then be the Dark with yet another feature. I’m just trying to figure out the difference without running out to buy a Stamp. I like the extra features, but I would never be looking for a “modern” or “metal” sound. And, I don’t play in a band.

9. mkdaws32

To be honest, I'm not very familiar with what the Micro Terror actually is. I know the Tiny Terry is supposedly that "Classic Orange" tone and the Dark Terror is a more modern sound (some say Mesa Boogie, but I don't hear it). The Micro Dark and the Terror Stamp are more in the Dark Terror camp, from what I understand, but I'm not sure which "Terror" the original Micro Terror was based on.

Having said all of that, I like the sound of this amp best with the gain set for a nice crunchy tone - just beyond "edge of breakup" but not into high gain territory. But again, it's really anemic and flabby sounding at lower volumes through my cab so it might not be an ideal house or bedroom amp. Takes pedals really well, though.

10. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I need an fx loop so that's why I bought a dark terror. I thought if I used 12AT7s to lower the gain I would be in the tiny terror range. No Go the dark had a very different gain structure and it never sounded like the tiny..

11. mkdaws32

If I were to post sound clips through my mic'd up cab and through the line out emulated cab, you would probably not even recognize it as the same amp.

12. mkdaws32

Yes - the tone stacks are very different. I tried to alter the character of a higher gain tube amp once by putting a lower gain preamp tube in the first stage. It completely neutered the amp - tonal character was completely destroyed. What I did find worked really well is replacing the phase inverter/tone recovery stage tube with a lower gain one so that the pre-amp still had all its balls, but hit the power tubes less hard. Can't do that with a solids state power amp and no tube phase inverter, though :(

13. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Stamp have both the Micro and Micro Dark voicings on channel 1 and 2?

14. mkdaws32

@northernguitar

I don't think so. It has the "shape control" circuit from the micro dark, which is where most of the tonal voicing comes from. From what I read (and if you find something different, let me know and I will concede ;) - I didn't read all of the marketing stuff) volume 1 and 2 are supposed to be identical and just allow you to set the volume a bit high on one so you can use the footswitch as a simple volume boost for leads/solos.

15. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I want to get a stamp. The micro dark was my gateway drug into the orange world. Try using a Boss GE-7 or similar in the effects loop to shape the tone further. I tried this with a micro dark and it worked great. I could use the GE-7 to create the effect of two differently voiced channels.

16. mkdaws32

Yep! A GE-7 (or two!) were always on my old board for exactly this reason - great utility pedals. I can do that with the HX Effects now :)

17. Dan German

OK, so the Micros (Terror and Dark) are not like the Tiny or anything that doesn’t say “Micro” on it. And the Stamp is based on the Micro amps, or at least on the Micro Dark. Correct?

18. mkdaws32

I'm not sure if the "Micros" are based on one or both of the "Tinys", or not, but the Stamp is definitely a based on the Micro Dark only in a smaller chassis with an extra switchable volume - that I know for sure. I may have read that they tweaked the shape control circuit a bit in the Stamp, but I'm not sure if that's something I read officially from Orange or not.

19. mkdaws32

@Dan German - This is what I read right from the product page on Orange's site - so a tweak to the gain structure, not the shape control:

KEY FEATURES
    IMPROVED DESIGN
    The Terror Stamp is based on the Micro Dark with a few minor tweaks to the gain structure and the CabSim, with the added feature of being able to set up two volume levels and switch between them.

northernguitar and Dan German like this.
  20. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Then they should have painted it Black

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.