1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD Surpise!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by adeiderich, Feb 19, 2019.

1. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Got the much maligned Marshall MG100FX (with footswitch) on the GC online store for less $100 delivered! It looked brand new out of the box. Playing through a 10" fender speaker in a home made cabinet. I don't see a lot of conversation about this on TDRPI but I'm sure everyone has played one at some point

Attached Files:

• axe.jpg
      axe.jpg
      File size:
      117.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

I'm sure a decent speaker can improve the original offering a lot.

My band mate has a 20/30w version that he occasionally brings to practice.... it makes me cry. It sounds pretty poor with no note definition.

I suspect the speaker accounts for a lot of that though.

3. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

Reported. (kidding)

I don’t think any forum allows discussions about MG’s.

I never talk about my MG50. It gives a good Marshall tone. I keep it, because I can’t get anything to sell it. Trading it in is worthless. Poor guy before you probably got $50 for it.

4. adeiderich

Well, it's not like I'm gigging every Friday night with it (but you could). I've had a lot of amps way worse than the MG100.

CK Dexter Haven likes this.
  5. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

Congrats on that good deal buddy!..Crank it up !:)

adeiderich likes this.
  6. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I’m with you on this. For the Marshall crunch at a good value in an SS amp. Solid build, reliable and a bargain on the used market.

I’m having a difficult time deciding on a Marshall tube amp, specifically an Origin where I would need to put an OD pedal in front.

7. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I had a MG 50 that was included w/ a budget V on CL, more amp than I needed & I had nothing in it so ended up trading it on something, but it was a perfectly fine amp, that would smoke any affordable amp from BITD, compare it to a old Marlboro/ Univox/Premier.....
    People get all wound up over the MOSFETs and the LEAD series, I'm not paying what those bring these days simply because they sorta look like a JCM 800, and come w/ worn out Celstions the MG's have some usable tones if you take care when dialing them in.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  8. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Does he have every thing on "10" many people still dial all Marshalls in that way because "That's what Clapton did in Cream" Might work for some situations w/ those early amps, but not a recipe for success w/ modern equipment.

9. adeiderich

I think where the main criticism of the MG100HFX is that is not a high gain beast that people think is the "Marshall" sound. The JCM 800 came out and started giving you the higher gain that people want, this is not that amp. There are good sounds in there, you just have to twist the knobs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.