NAD Supro Blues King 12

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by ReverendRevolver, May 3, 2019.

1. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

So. Technically I got this a week ago. After talking them up since February and playing them an obnoxious number of times in shops, I own a blues king.

20190430_181838.jpg 20190430_181842.jpg 20190430_181852.jpg

I haven't even plugged anything with humbuckers unti it yet. Basically made sure the duosonic and this worked, played with the tele, and been running ever since.

I see after maybe 40 minutes total using it how a footswitch is in my future. Not because I can't live without the 2 things the tiny knobs engage, but because this is something I could gig with in smaller rooms and its be cool to have.

Sounds like it should with the tele, great n tasty. I'm not really feeling the duosonic pickups, but that's probably indicative of me being spoiled tone wise.
    It fits where I wanted in the loudness spectrum, between the other 2 I own currently. It has a things going that isn't fendery but is more fendery than most el84 stuff, if that makes sense.

Only real dislike is the orientation of the tubes puts the bottom of the bottle pointing the same direction as the speaker, making it not exactly inviting to play with different tubes (I've never owned a cathode bias single 6l6 driven amp. Taste testing tubes is totally on the dockett....) . Other than that, it's under 30lbs, I picked it up as a "floor model" which what isn't with amps from shops (maybe that's why the speaker doesn't sound like I need to break it in much?) So it was under $500.

Oh, the other downside is it doesn't match the brown 75. Yea, I'm really reaching at this point.

Speaker is good for stock, not suffering from boxiness like other stock 12s, not going to have people begging me to sell it to em, but it's not a "must replace " thing, which is rare for 15w stuff under a grand right now.

If anyone recalls my list of stuff I wanted in an amp, this has everything but a low power button. Super simple controls. Reverb doesn't have foot switch capabilities, but I typically use it or delay, so not a problem. Reverb pan sounds..... ok, look, I was testing the two timer and basically just made sure the reverb was on par with the Peavey I just unloaded. It's at least there, probably better. But I haven't played with it much yet.

Great amp. Strongly recommend it over bjrs and such, better tone from the 6l6 than most bjrs get without mods and new speakers.

Anyone on the fence, buy one.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    emisilly, uriah1, tery and 6 others like this.
  2. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have been eyeing these since they first came out.
    I have a bass breaker 007 which is el84.
    Haven’t had a chance to play one yet.
    Thanks for the review.

3. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

From all the demo videos I've seen - I love this amp. Wish I needed one. Congrats!

4. duceditor

duceditor Tele-Meister

I've owned one from the time of release. And yes, I love it.

Sounds great with a Tele. Maybe even better with a p90-equipped guitar. (Or that could just be that I'm really, really into the P90 sound) Sweet with 'buckers, too.

To me it is at its best with neither of the added boost circuits engaged. Nothing wrong with them, mind you. Supro knows that stuff and shows it with their pedals. But it is the in-you-face clean that makes this amp so special.

Its reverb is nicely voiced. To that I add a touch of slap back via a pedal in the loop. (I also have a compressor and a tremolo pedal in that 'loop' but frankly rarely use them.) This amp needs no trickery to sound either bright or full. It is the very model of excellent pick sensitivity.

Its build quality is obvious and pleasing. Indeed it belies the cost.

Nice to hear others, too, are discovering it. I got infatuated with Supro when their Americana guitars went on clearance. (I got two of 'em -- and love 'em!)

Enjoy!

-don

Two Supros Ready to Work.jpg

bftfender, tery, gwjensen and 4 others like this.
  5. ReverendRevolver

Ok, ran my other stuff through it:

Teles and humbuckers have a much wider scope of flavors through this than strats. (I'm just not liking the mids and quack anymore. Dialed it in and got some great bluesiness at clicks 2&4 but honestly didn't I have rwrp pairing with the DS I just complained about?)

Everytime I plug the Toronado I to something new I remember why I have to keep it in its case: I'd never touch the other guitars but once a month if I didn't. No exception here, the dynamics are more pronounced than with the Mustangs humbuckers. (The neck pickup on the toronado is actually quite low, and the bridge isn't very high, but its always been louder than other stuff. Can't account for the difference logically by spacing or magnets, even with dirty strings...)

I also learned the standby switch doesn't cut out very quickly. You can have a radio fade out length of 8ish seconds before total silence for some reason. My fenders never had that long.

Reverb pan is quite adequate. I like it as much or more than all Similar size modern fender combo amps reverb tanks, it gets the job done without you wondering if you need a separate unit.

Gain needs some reining in with the guitars knobs to sound reasonably not over the top (am I that age already?) But I can't think of a situation where I would need distortion and not just pack distortion, making the gain more of an extra voicing than anything.

Boost has some potential, but my opinion may change if I dime the master volume.

All I have left to experiment with is something other than delay in the effects loop. My Maxon is acting up, so I wasn't feeling it digging out the muff or graphic fuzz. Next test will be GF to the front with other stuff in loop, then GF to loop with AD999 to the face. I'm not going to be happy if I have to open up the most expensive pedal purchase in years to find out how this will sound.

gwjensen and duceditor like this.
  6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats, a good looking amp.

I picked up a Supro Dual Tone in a multi gear trade. Kept if for almost a year and I was really impressed with the amp. I ended up trading it again for a vintage Fender, but I would buy another Supro again.

7. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Congrats! Got one myself over the weekend. Love it with my Strat, like it was custom made for it.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  8. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

Got one of these amps today. I gotta admit though, I didn't think it was going to sound as good as it does and I like it better than the Blues Junior. For $599 it's just what I needed for bedroom playing. Glad it has a master control.

9. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Congratulations ! … I called MF to order a Blues King 8 today but they have a 4 week backorder on them so I told them that I would call back .

emisilly likes this.
  10. sleazy pot pie

Do you find it to bassy/boomy?
    I wanted to like this amp so bad and it just had too much bass for me. Granted I only rented for the weekend, so it could have been that the speaker was not broken in.

11. ReverendRevolver

@sleazy pot pie

Theres more low end in these than BJRs. Not an unpleasant amount, the tone controls work.

The speaker may have been too stiff in what you played.

Mine was sold as a "demo unit" so I'm unsure the amount of breaking in the speaker needs out of the box.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    sleazy pot pie likes this.
  12. ReverendRevolver

Theres multiple BK8s on reverb for $300 free shipping right now. 12s still sitting around $500 on the used side. Were you wanting MF specifically?

tery likes this.
  13. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks - yes at MF there was a 15% discount plus my reward points to use .

14. -PickupTruck-

-PickupTruck- Tele-Meister

I have one and love it. I am finding the gain loses a lot of highs - anyone else?

15. sleazy pot pie

16. ReverendRevolver

Full disclosure, I've barely used the gain by itself; mixed it with EHX soulfood and played with tone knob on tele and duosonic, then messed with dirt knob and treble on the soulfood. I can say the duosonic with volume dimed got me where I wanted, but not on the neck pickup alone, just both or bridge. So, I've been using the SF and gain since then...

My not relying on the gain switch heavily is why I've been able to put off buying the foot switch.
    Its usable, but driving the amp gets more interesting sounds with single coils. I haven't really messed with the humbucker stuff with the gain switch on.

I may run the strat into it tomorrow and see if the gain is wicking away the top end at all. Good reason to knock the (non-metaphorical) dust off the strat.

17. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

Great amps. They not only sound good but feel good under the fingers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.