NAD Rickenbacker M-8

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
Like an idiot, I sold my silverface vibro champ a few years ago. I thought my 68 custom PRRI would fully replace it.

Since then, I've been wishing I had something that recorded a little better at high gain. Something that can distort without creating problematic artifacts in the chain. I haven't been able to nail down the problem and solve it but, in the meantime, I picked up this thing.

It's 4 watts, and noticeably quieter than even a champ. Has a beautifully lofi vintage sound, complimented by what looks like a six inch jensen alnico speaker that I can't believe has survived the years. It's in the shop now getting serviced, but despite a bit of noise that's probably a bad tube or some old caps, it's super fun looking and sounding. Pretty good $400 IMO.

It makes me wonder what else is out there like this. Does anyone have any favorite underrated handwired bedroom amps? Something that sounds great, is easily serviced, and still doesn't break the bank? I want more Amps like this one, but I can't pay what a vintage princeton goes for anymore.

Attachments

• 20211129_150321.jpg
    20211129_150321.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
Looks cool. I have no experience with that amp at all, but the youngster seems too be laying claim to it.

When my son was that age everything smaller than usual was automatically "his". (Pignose, mandolin, tack hammer, what have you)