NAD Quilter 101 mini

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jupiter, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I guess these are discontinued in the US, but they still got a pile of em over here!

I chose it over the reverb model because a hundred bucks seemed like a lot of money for reverb. Also, I was intrigued by the tone controls, and I liked the different amp voicing settings. And I thought it was smaller than the reverb model (that turned out to be incorrect though lol).

I looked hard at the DVMark micro 50, and even played one, but it seems that they don’t have the FX loop version in Japan yet. Also, while that amp has two channels (kinda), the overdrive channel wasn’t very interesting, and seemed to lack dynamics: you couldn’t clean it up by playing softer. It did have a really nice chimney clean sound though...

I also considered the Quilter Interblock45, but some buyers had complained that the knobs felt kinda flimsy and breakable, which seemed like a bad thing for a box that is meant to sit on yer pedal board.

I was worried about the tone of this amp because jakedog and a few others had said they thought Quilter stuff sounded kinda dark, but it seemed alright in online videos, so I took a flyer on it, figuring I could do a bit with EQ if I had to, and anyways I probably can’t hear those high frequencies anymore.

Here’s the requisite pic:
    FCCE88B2-2C5C-4DC6-9C25-6FCB9B63A097.jpeg

It’s a big bigger than I expected, but still eminently portable.

I’m pretty happy with the sound. The amp voicings are different enough to be meaningful, and convincing enough to make it feasible to plug straight into the amp in certain situations. Full Q is good for playing with the amp emulations in my ZOOM pedal. I have no idea yet how it sounds loud, because I was sitting right next to my cab, and had the gain and master around 9 o’clock.

I think this is going to be the flexible solution I’ve been looking for.

stormsedge and MrGibbly like this.
  2. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Had mine for a year & a half & really love it especially when I'm packing my gear up.

3. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Mine has outlived several other amps. I think the Tri-Q is under-rated, especially for us non knob twiddlers.

The heavy bass can be tamed by using an alnico speaker - sounds so killer with an Emi 1028, especially on the Surf setting. A mini BF Super in a box.

4. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

I have an Aviator Gold 1x12 that I love, but the reverb is its worst feature. Not sure if the Reverb on the 101R is better but if not you were wise to save $100. And I agree the Tri-Q is pretty amazing. I was skeptical till I tried it. My amp has two channels, one with the Tri-Q and one with BMT — the former can come surprisingly close to any usable EQ curves on the latter.

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have a 201...looks just like yours, but the master goes to 200 (( :eek: )). I like it.

6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

They have some good tones, and amazingly loud if you want them to be.
    I had the 101 Reverb, didn't really bond with it, I have the Tone Block 202 now, I like the reverb in the 202.
    And you can't beat the size / weight.
    Post more after you play it for a while

7. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

I found a 101 on a Stupid Deal of the Day special. I used it for the first time at an apres-ski gig where the load-in involves putting the gear on a Snow-Cat to get it up to the lodge. I certainly wasn't missing the lugging of a Fender tube amp through the cold rain and snow! I was pretty much knocked out with the beautiful clean tones, and could even nudge it into controllable feedback when required. I'm pretty much sold. It may not be my main amp, but it will surely accompany me to every gig from now on in case the Fender gives it up. And I won't feel that I am sacrificing anything either. Hats off to Patrick Quilter for nailing a good solid-state tone!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.