1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD: Quilter 101...I love it!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by naveed211, Apr 22, 2021.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

CEC2CDA2-7785-4725-B1CB-5A46282E051C.jpeg

There’s my neat little rig. May add another pedal, but I’m pretty much set.

I just got the Quilter 101 today, and I’m in love! Sounds amazing through my 1x12 with a Vintage 30. I have it at 8 ohms on the 10 watt setting and it is loud! Can’t imagine not being able to keep up with a band.

Takes pedals like a champ. The clarity is really impressive. Super simple and intuitive. Beautiful cleans, and actually the gain sounds quite nice, too!

This is everything I want in an amp at this stage in my life. Can’t wait for playing gigs with it, load in/out will be a breeze.

davidchagrin, lousy13, Ron C and 13 others like this.
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

HNAD! Sweet rig!

PhredE, brookdalebill and naveed211 like this.
  3. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

I love mine!

I mean really love it.

That Cal Webway, PhredE and naveed211 like this.
  4. naveed211

It sounds so good!

Drew617 likes this.
  5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Can you compare it to the sound of a common amp most of us might be familiar with?

PhredE likes this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Nice. Congrats.

and yes, you can always add another pedal...pedals are like potato chips, you can’t just have 1.

naveed211 likes this.
  7. naveed211

I have it in the Jazz setting and it sounds very Twin-like. It’s got more warmth and depth in its core tone than a JC-120 to my ear.

It reminds me a bit like a Fender Stage 100 I had years ago, but with a much more pleasing high end. Again, warmer, not sterile.

davidchagrin, PhredE and Marc Morfei like this.
  8. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nice compact rig. Any chance you can post a short video so we can hear some of the clean and gain tones?

naveed211 likes this.
  9. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

I have the Overdrive 200, which is now discontinued in favor of the OD202, which adds reverb.

I love it because it reminds me of a Super Reverb I played in a Nashville Guitar Center a few years ago, but couldn't afford at the time. Hell, I can't afford it now, hence the Quilter.

I prefer the OD200 to the 202 because I'd rather use a pedal for reverb because pedals offer more control than onboard units.

I play through a closed-back, "Marshall-style" Guitar Cabinets Direct 112, with a random Eminence speaker out of a Jet City Combo. I have a Jensen Tornado Stealth 100 neo in the closet, but I'm entirely happy with the sounds I get now.

naveed211 likes this.
  10. naveed211

You hit it right on the head. Very Fendery tones.

It’s the best solid state amp I’ve ever played, no question. I can’t imagine better tone for $250 used (I’d even pay more for one now that I know!)

supersoldier71 likes this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

naveed211 likes this.
  12. naveed211

Hmm, maybe at some point if I get a free moment. Lots of YouTube clips from much better guitarists than me are out there.

This one nails it. The natural tone he gets is what I’m experiencing. Just with playing 100000x better than mine.

13. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

I was lucky enough to find one used on Craigslist for $150 about a year ago but have barely played it, other than some around the house fooling around every once in awhile. It does sound really good though.

Even though I've hardly used it I wanted to have a backup head for the Carmen Ghia I was gigging with at the time...and for that price I couldn't pass it up. I still have the Carmen Ghia, but I'm now gigging with another Z combo (Nova) so I bring my Pro Junior as a backup to that.

Still, I've been meaning to bring the Quilter out one of these days to rehearsal to hear how it stacks up at band volume to my tube amps because at low around the house volumes there's not much if any difference in the quality of sound. In a blind test I wouldn't be able to pick it out as the mini solid state amp.

Congrats on yours.

naveed211 likes this.
  14. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

That little 101 was my entry into the world of Quilter.
    I liked it so much I pretty much have a head version of most of their USA made amps.

BigDaddyLH, PhredE and naveed211 like this.
  15. Unpossible

Unpossible Tele-Meister

After a long weekend going back and forth with all my amps, i have to admit; The Quilter is going to be my main amp. It gets close enough to my twin which is 20 times heavier, and sounds good in its own right, with several voicing options.
    I'm selling most of my tube amps except for a couple small specialty amps.
    i also have their bass amp which is very good.
    For me, they are good at the clean and almost clean fender sounds which is what
    i like.
    Don't know enough about the more grindy tones, but they seem to pull that off as well.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    PhredE and naveed211 like this.
  16. naveed211

Yeah, it's really good. Honestly, I don't know if I'll want another amp for the rest of my life. I mean that in full sincerity. The Quilter checks the boxes.

17. Unpossible

Unpossible Tele-Meister

you do realize this site is about constantly acquiring more gear, right?

But yeah, its a good piece of kit. i have the original 101, but they have a nice variety of stuff.

naveed211 likes this.
  18. naveed211

I'll know for sure once I get in a band setting, looking like June. Really hoping it passes that test. I anticipate it will with flying colors.

19. Unpossible

Unpossible Tele-Meister

the quilters have effective shaping controls. You may have to adjust
    depending on the conditions.
    If it's not loud enough, try the surf setting.

20. Mowgli

Mowgli TDPRI Member

I have the same model 101. I understand why you like it. Overall, it's a good amp, IMO. I'd like to add a few personal observations.

Tonal needs and desires differ depending upon the type of music one is playing (duhhh???). I mention this obvious statement because with my Quilter 101 the traditional "country" & "warm jazz" cleans sound best through 12" & 15" speakers with aluminum dust caps (Peavey Black Widow, CTS 15", JBL D130f, old Peavey branded Eminence 12" PA spkr). To my ears, the highs are accentuated best on FullQ 50 watt (country) & Jazz 100 watt (jazz) settings such that my guitars only require a little vol. & tone control adjustment to dial in those excellent country and jazz cleans.

Like a lot of others, I have found the Tri-Q EQ controls to be occasionally limiting. This is what EQ pedals are for!

I add a Fuchs Verbrator (an affordable Dumbleator and then some with a great digital reverb), a Dig. Delay and EQ pedal into the effects loop. It adds some warmth to the sound and seems to make Distortion/OD pedals in front of the amp sound better.

My 2 cents.

PhredE likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.