1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD -- PRRI...finally

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by boo radley, Jan 29, 2011.

1. boo radley

boo radley Tele-Meister

Aaagh, for years I've been holding off buying a Princeton Reverb Reissue, because I was convinced I'd find one used, and thought it was ridiculous Fender was and is charging what they do, for this amp (now about $899).

So I bought and sold a bunch of other amps: used Blues DeVille (bought in the late 90's from a co-worker for $300, and sold it for $500 -- only time I've ever done 'ok'), a used ProJr, a used Rivera R30 (nice!), a used Classic 30, a VibroChampXD, *another* used Classic 30....Not exactly 'wasting' money, but never being really happy, either.

And finally two days ago, when I had a 20%-off 'today only' coupon in the mail, a PRRI.

Damn thing sounds so sweet with a Telecaster, brings a tear to my eye. Now I just need to find some kind of OD pedal.

Sometimes things are just expensive because they're worth it, I guess.

2. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Glad you finally got the one you've ben after!!!

:D

3. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

congats, that is a real good feeling and a real nice amp. enjoy!

4. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I bet it does!

5. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

My PR is a '67 drip-edge, but it's among my favorites. The Xotic AC Booster works really well for me with a Tele and the PR.

Congrats.

6. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I've been playing my PRRI for about a year and I'm really happy. Mine is completely stock and it does everything I want it to do. I will suggest you really turn those tone knobs to suit guitar and volume variations.

7. Jersey Jack

Jersey Jack TDPRI Member

Yep, me too: Tele into a PRRI! :cool: Congrats!

I use a Tube Screamer, but I've never really warmed up to it. Thinking about changing to an OCD or the new Plimsoul.

8. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

Nice, congrats! That's my dream amp. Right now I'm getting by with a Pro Junior with a Dano Cool Cat Tremolo and FRV-1 reverb to try and get that sound. And the Princeton model on my Mustang 1, which sounds pretty good but doesn't "feel" like the real thing. Someday...

9. dmeeg05

dmeeg05 Tele-Meister

10. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

I use a JH-F1 Dunlop Fuzz Face with my PRRI - sounds great.

11. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

That's a great combination, PRRI and Tele. Best friend has that set-up. It's great.

12. Blues Hurler

Blues Hurler Tele-Holic

I've been using an OCD with my PRRI for about 2 years now and don't have any plans to change. I never keep anything that long, but it sounds so good I can't imagine what else would be worth spending my money on. Only other thing I've done us upgraded the power tubes to JJ's. After one song, my bandmates were saying how much better it sounded. Worthwhile upgrade.

13. boo radley

boo radley Tele-Meister

Thx, all -- I might have to look into an OCD. I've had a Boss BD-2, and that's always an option.

This amp is...cathedral-like. How does so much sound come out of a 10" speaker in a light combo?

14. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

Welcome to the PR club! I have two SFPR's and must say they are the perfect amp for me. Grab yourself a decent mic (Sennheiser e609 or SM57) and you are good to go for whatever and wherever.

15. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Do yourself a favor and spend $50 more to drop an Emi Legend 105 in there--huge improvement IMO.

Jammed with a full band for first time yesterday with my PRRI and it performed admirably on 3.5 with my Nocaster-equipped Tele.

BTW, the VS Route 66 sounds KILLER through this amp and is a total bargain cost-wise. It's really 3-in-1 with 2 types of OD plus compression.

16. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

I love my Princeton Reverb. I do have a Weber 10F150T 25 watt speaker in there which seems perfect with my tele. I stopped using any pedals with this amp. For a killer overdrive I just turn up the amp and guitar. My tubescreamer TS808 just sits. Decent tubes make a difference in any Fender amp. I was lucky mine still has the originals from '65. Great amp! Have fun, Wayne

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.