Nad! Pristine 1968 Drip Edge Super Reverb Ab763

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by ShawnRocker, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'd strongly suggest NOT giving in to the temptation to play it until you can do the cap job. Too much of a chance of one of the old ones blowing and taking out a transformer.

2. ShawnRocker

ShawnRocker TDPRI Member

The chassis is already on my bench waiting for the caps to arrive, so no chance of that.

3. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I had to re-read your post after I saw a drip edge BF amp. My eyes started twitching. They do look great together.

Good call on the electrolytics. Unless you are hetmetically sealing SRV's personal #1 amp for storage, I see no reason not to change the caps. There is no shortage of vintage Super Reverbs that I know of. $100 or so if you do it yourself, is cheap insurance. You'll have reliable amp you can take out to play.

4. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

That is sweet. I have a '68 Pro reverb that is just as clean. I absolutely love the old drip edge. I had mine gone thru by a great tech and have played it 2-3 hrs a day for the past 3 years. I would love to have a SR to add to the mix. Well done, and very fair price.
    Glad that worked out for you. Enjoy!

5. ShawnRocker

ShawnRocker TDPRI Member

2 questions for those who may know.

A) I'm trying to track down the rattle. I disconnected each speaker one at a time and the rattle stayed the same, pretty pronounced. I pulled the back panel and looked around for anything loose and couldn't find anything. So I removed the 6 screws holding the baffle and slid it out the front, it was tight fit; had to wiggle it a lot to get out. Once out I sat it on a rug and leaned the top back against the front of the amp. Turned it on and the rattle is gone. I'm guessing the actual "drip edge" is somehow rattling against the cabinet? Does this happen and, if so, is there a common cure? I don't want to go putting any additional staples in there but did think about putting a layer of electrical tape around it.

B) Side by side the 68 SF sounds brighter than the 67 BF. However, with the BF chassis now in the SF Cab, the BF sounds exactly as bright as the other did, so obviously the speakers are the difference. The BF cab is loaded with Jensen's and this one with CTS. Is it the nature of CTS's to be significantly brighter than Jensen's or is it possible they still need to be broken in some?

6. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country

I am shocked that the CTS Alnico's are brighter than the Jensen's in your 67. I have the exact same speakers in my 66 BFSR and they are very tame on the top end. I actually love them and would be heart broken if I lost one or any of them. Assuming the Jensen's are Alnico as well.. they are great speakers too! I don't have an answer to your question though.

On a side note, I just picked my 66 up last year.. very clean but not as clean as yours. Picked mine up from a wife selling her husband's gear in a divorce for $800. It went straight into my tech for the normal 50 year old amp service and check out. I will never part with mine.

Attached Files:

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Beautiful amp and a great story! I have two '68 Fender heads, a Dual Showman Reverb and a Bandmaster Reverb. Neither is in as good of shape as yours. It was a good year for Fenders! I hope you get many years of of playing out of it.

8. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Since you have the speaker baffle out, closely inspect the entire front and rear of the drip edge mounting. Look for loose sport. Maybe with a small dull tool to pry a tiny nit for movement. I believe the drip edge is stapled through the grill cloth. Doubtful the drip edge is causing a rattle. You never know. Have a look and see.

Is your stapled like this:
    [​IMG]

9. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Gorgeous - congrats! I have a similarly pristine SFDR that, believe it of not, has an almost identical history. Also have a very good cond. SFSR....but not as good as yours! Despite everything "impractical" about the SR, I just love them - Enjoy that beauty!!!!!!!

10. ShawnRocker

ShawnRocker TDPRI Member

I put a piece of masking tape along the top part of the baffling, where the staples are and behind so it's not visible, reinstalled it and 80% of the rattle was gone. There's still a bit but I found it goes away if I touch my toe up against the bottom center section of drip edge and put a little pressure on it. On close inspection I found there's about 1/16th to 1/8th" gap between the bottom of the baffle and the cabinet when its screwed into place. I found a heavy zip tie and slid it in to fill the gap and the rattle goes away. I think I'm going to pull the baffle back out and use some rolled up felt or something to lay along there and fill that gap.

11. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Could you use some self-adhesive foam rubber weatherstrip? Available at Home Depot, Lowes, HW stores in various thicknesses, etc.

12. ShawnRocker

ShawnRocker TDPRI Member

I thought about that too. I want to do what's the least invasive.

13. jcss

jcss TDPRI Member

Exactly what Jensens are we talking about?

By the mid 60's Jensen were moving towards ceramic speakers in Fenders....Jensen C10R etc were seen in BFSR.

Of course Fender got away from Jensen entirely by the late 60's as Jensen got out of musical instrument speakers and moved to car and home speakers by the very early 70's.

Keep in mind any Jensen may or may not be original or could be a recone....and I am a diehard Chicago Jensen fan.... i've got many original examples as well as some recons.

14. Johnnycyber69

Johnnycyber69 TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

Amazing what's out there still huh. I got this one on trade for an orange dual terror and 12in cab last year. Thing was bought buy a guy who thought he wanted to be a bass player so he bought an amp and that was the extent of it. It sat covered in his den for decades until the young guy I traded it from bought it thinking he wanted a blank pedal platform to play grunge rock. The thing still has the owners manual and warranty card inside and also the always lost fender flat F speaker cable. This was definitely one of thoes you hear about but never find .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.