1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD: PostigiveGrid Spark....and I'm keeping it...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bluesholyman, Mar 8, 2021.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I got to play a used one in GC recently (but didn't buy that one as it was priced too high) and I was pretty much sold on it being the practice amp I was looking for. I didn't believe any of the hype I read or heard during its long launch period, but after hearing it first hand (the most important aspect to me) I felt it was worth the plunge. I needed something portable that I could take on road trips with the guitar and be able to play quietly without disturbing anyone with or without headphones. It certainly gets loud, but overall, it sounds really good a low volumes. I think this is partially due to the "excessive" low end that is often derided in reviews.

I've only had it a few days with minimal time to play it, but glad I got it. Most practice amps I have tried sound anemic to me, especially at low volumes and obviously tube amps like to cook and peel the paint when they are happiest.

This sounds plenty good to practice with, without being excessively loud, and I find it warm and musically inpiring. I think thats a combination of the low-end and the stereo speakers creating a huge sound image that is really nice at low volumes.

I also like that I can connect it to the laptop and record an idea without any excessive setup. I haven't tried it with logic yet, but I don't think there will be any issues.

As for the drum and basslines, haven't tried them, but I suspect they are good enough to have background fill to play with. If they are in tune and can keep time, I think thats a win.

We'll see as time goes on, but for $300 new (amp and bag), its hard to complain on any level. I have not heard anything as good, as portable and as inexpensive as this.

The Yamaha THR's seem to be the ones to beat, but having tried the 10 in the past, I just wasn't thrilled. Considering the 40 is $500, the Spark is a steal.

FB445BB2-CDDF-4107-909C-AA48059921ED.jpeg

DougM, aging_rocker, drf64 and 3 others like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Awesome.
    Have you created your own presets yet?

3. bluesholyman

No, not yet. the first clean patch I played was pretty stellar with a strat - need to try your bassman settings as thats the kind of tone I'm used to...

blowtorch likes this.
  4. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Got mine a couple weeks ago. It really Shines as my living room noodling amp.

5. Telefsantasia1

Telefsantasia1 Tele-Meister

Sounds cool! Edward

Bluego1 likes this.
  6. blowtorch

I don't use the fake rhythm sections, and I could see some people finding that aspect of the amp cheesy, but really I don't understand how any other faults can be found with this thing, as a personal practice amplifier.

No you can't gig it, and no you can't really use it for a full band rehearsal- but when it's just you, what more could anyone want?

*in my awesome opinion* :cool:

bluesholyman, Fuelish and Bluego1 like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Glad you're enjoying it.
    Question: I get the impression that the only way to deep dive into the modelling stuff is using an app. Is that true, or am I misunderstanding?

8. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Hey mate, in you awesome opinion, how do you compare it against a THR10?

9. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My only complaint about my Spark is how noisy its gain is. Almost any gain requires the noise gate to be enabled. I’ve never experienced that with my other amps & pedals.

10. blowtorch

I've not played a THR10 enough to make a comparison

11. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I was using the Danelectro neck pickup because I was reading the thread about it running concurrently here;).

12. bluesholyman

Yes, I think this is true. There is not really any other way to control the amp, except with the app, outside of the physical controls on top. The app is pretty responsive but I haven't dug in deep to it yet. I actually don't like editing stuff - I just like it to sound good out of the box with minimal tweaking - it wins for me on that level, but I will spend more time "tweaking" once I have time.

I wish they had a desktop based editor, as I am not much of an "app" guy for things like this.

13. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks. Your last comment is kinda where I was going with this. Not that I really need one of these anyway - between my POD HD400 and my Katana 50, I'm pretty well covered for both home practice and gigs.

14. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

It’s really soooo simple with an iPad. And there’s like 10,000 presets at your touch. You don’t have to download them or anything. Just search for, say, gilmour, and a bunch come up. Choose a highly recommended one, tap it, and play. Bam.

bluesholyman, JRtele and RomanS like this.
  15. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

@El Marin

I own both a THR10 (first generation) and a Spark - and I like the Spark much better!

I should mention first: I play rockabilly, country, Western swing and the likes, so I only use Fender-y (from tweed to BF) clean and low gain OD tones, and the only effects I need are slapback, tremolo, and reverb - so my comments don't apply to any other tones & effects!

The Yamaha has useable basic clean tones, but unfortunately the stock effects are ridiculously overdone, without any onboard controls to change the parameters - e.g there's no subtle reverb, even the lowest setting is really overdone; and the only way to get slapback is by tapping it in with your finger (not very precise). You really have to hook it up to a computer to get useable effects - but for that you need a USB cable, and the Windows software looks like something from the mid-90s...

The Spark, on the other hand, is controlled from an app via Bluetooth - a much more user-friendly app than the Yamaha program (on the other hand, there's no Windows software for the Spark yet).
    Unlike the THR's basic two or three useable clean and low gain tones, there are a lot of different ones on the Spark - and a lot of very good reverbs and delays.
    Really easy to get good tones, both by tweaking yourself, and by searching those from other users in the cloud.
    And once you found a few favorite tones, you save those to the amp itself (there's four spaces for that), then you can tweak them with the pots, don't need the app at all (I haven't opened my app in weeks, just use my four favorite tones, and tweak EQ with the pots when changing guitars).

Can't comment on the other, backing band features, I'm not really using those - but as a practice amp, at apartment friendly/late night volume levels (where even a 5W tube amp is too loud), it is hard to beat the Spark!

16. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I don't have a smartphone or tablet, so it would be useless to me. But, from the samples I've heard, not so much from the YouTubers, but from real users on Instagram, it sounds very good for the low gain and bluesy overdrive tones that I use 90% of the time. But, my THR10C with a good overdrive pedal does that very well too. I would spring for one if it had an app for PCs too.

17. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

Sorry for the hi jack but please tell me the name of that song.....for the life of me I can't think of it.

cat dude likes this.
  18. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Shine by Collective Soul.

cat dude and Tarkus60 like this.
  19. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

Thank you sir!

Bluego1 likes this.
  20. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Does the Spark have a line output? I wonder if you could get some live use out of it by slaving a power amp and cab off of it (or just DI to the PA, for those people gigging with in-ears or posh house systems).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.