NAD: Peavey Envoy (Silver Stripe)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Octorfunk, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

Nothing real crazy here, but I did snag a good condition Peavey Envoy Silver stripe for $75.

upload_2021-11-12_15-10-59.jpeg

2. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Afflicted

I got the same version about three years ago for $60. It doesn't get switched on much anymore because I have other amps I like better, so I probably should sell it -- but whenever I do plug into it, I find myself thinking "I can't believe how good this is for only $60."

Whether you run it clean or dirty, it just does what it's supposed to do, every time.

I've tried swapping in different speakers - all of which cost more than I paid for the amp - but I always come back to the original. Not because it's the best but because there's just nothing wrong with it as-is. Peavey is such working-man's gear that swapping in a high-end speaker seems pretentious - like, that's how the bourgeoisie keep the proletariat in their place, man.

That nameplate came off, though. Not because I'm embarrassed to play through a Peavey but because all those spikes make the amp look like a toy.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  3. clingin_on

clingin_on Tele-Meister

Nice one.

4. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Nice amp...Congrats! I really like Peavey amps and PA gear. I gig with them mostly these days.

5. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great amps

My older one had a second input,
    so if you were like a guitar teacher and your student could plug into the amp too.

Octorfunk likes this.
  6. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

The Envoy has been my main gigging amp for 10 years. Does the job.

7. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

Nice! I would love to find an Envoy or Studio Pro for gigs. I have a late 80s Bandit that gets a lot of use for gigs but man that thing is heavy!

wildschwein and Octorfunk like this.
  8. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Agree. Speaker changes on these is total folly unless they’re blown.

I think the logo is aspirational. It’s like what you thought your band logo might look like when you were a teenager drawing/daydreaming in your notebook in class.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  9. brindlepicker

brindlepicker TDPRI Member

I was just looking up stuff about my early 80’s studio pro 40 and came across a thread about it on the steel guitar forum. A guy from peavey mentioned they’d tested several amps and the envoy sounded the best to him.

BB likes this.
  10. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I had to replace the Sheffield speaker in my Bandit. I didn’t blow it, but after the Bandit fell off a chair for the zillionth time (usually only damaging the floor it fell on), the voice coil was loose and rattling. I had a Celestion 70/80 kicking around and it’s perfect for the Bandit, and IMO, an improvement.

wildschwein likes this.
  11. The butcher

The butcher TDPRI Member

I had been looking for a reasonably priced one of these for a while and finally snagged one local for the same price, but perhaps not as clean. HNAD to all!

12. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

I played an Envoy for a while that was in the rehearsal room where I went (to play jazz), and I was amazed at the sound from this little box ! Too bad it's not as popular as it should...

That Cal Webway likes this.
  13. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I had a Red-Stripe US Envoy that logged a lot of great gigging hours. A really responsive little light amp.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  14. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I had a US red stripe Envoy with the block PEAVEY logo and not the zig zag logo. That amp sounded so good. I also had a red stripe Bandit but it was so loud I could never fully experience the transtube effect on the Bandit but I could turn up that Envoy loud enough on the clean channel that it would get that buttery blues tube breakup sound going. Loved recording with that amp but the bands I played in at that time were so loud my Envoy couldn't keep up or at least fill the space I desired.

Unfortunately, I allowed it to be stolen by an old guitar student I once had. Several years after he stopped taking lessons, he reached out to me telling me he got heavily into drugs and he wanted to get back into playing to occupy his free time while trying to kick addiction. He was in need of an amp so I loaned him my Envoy. After a couple weeks I stopped hearing from him. I contacted his mom, who he was staying with, she informed me a few days prior he left the house in the middle of the night and never said he was leaving. I asked about my amp, she said it was gone too. I'll assume it was traded or sold for drugs. I have never seen or heard from him again.

15. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I have a sweet, near mint 80's silver panel Envoy 110. Fount it in a weird junk shop for $26.00. I gave it away a few years ago to a very sweet, 86 year woman who decided to take up lap steel.

Turns out, she just could not do it as her health was not well. Her daughter surprised me some months ago and gave me back the amp along with the lap steel.

Anyway, ( a bit off track...sorry!) this little amp along with my 80's, silver panel Studio Pro 112, (which I found on offerup for $40) punch far greater in tone and volume than their size.

brindlepicker likes this.
  16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great stuff!

17. Tone Quest

Tone Quest TDPRI Member

Great amp. Had one about 10 years ago. I remember it had a good sound.

18. brindlepicker

brindlepicker TDPRI Member

Saw this on a envoy review you tube comment. Just need the schematic which is probably on peavey site for both and 2 jacks.

“ I also have this amp. It is a great amp. It benifits from a speaker swap. This amp share the same power board as the studio pro so guess what? Just add the proper jacks to the board and clip jumper wire #1 and you have an fx loop on this amp which is a game changer .”

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.