1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nad-peavey Classic 30! But There's A Problem...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by backalleyblues, Mar 24, 2016.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Howdy Everyone!

Just got home an hour ago with a later, US-made Peavey Classic 30 that is in overall decent shape, but it does have one problem... NO REVERB!!!

I knew this when I tested out the amp, and got the guy down off his otherwise decent price-$200 to bring it home-it actually sounds really good, and once I get the reverb going, will be a great small gig amp (the whole purpose of buying it, of course!)

I am getting some splash when I tap on the tank (not much though) and I didn't see any broken wires... but I did notice the input transducer was pretty wiggly on its post, a lot more than I think it should be.

My first thought of course is the tank is bad, and in the next few days, I'll run over to a buddy's to try a couple different tanks in there, to eliminate any other issues that might be causing this. I'm fine working on the inside of an amp (this one does need some cleaning!) so if there's any particular thing I need to look at, please let me know.

I had a C30 a number of years ago (an early tweed one) but I didn't care for the sound of that amp-this one sounds like it should, nice and a bit chimey, not muffled at all, and that's with the original Blue Marvel speaker in there (likely a rebranded Eminence)... get the reverb going, and I'll be set for awhile...

Thanks (or is that tanks?) in advance for your help!

Franc Robert

2. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

My old tweed C30 had a replacement tank too. Another one had bad wire (old rca jack)..another time I flipped the wires (in/out) lol

4. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I disconnected the reverb tank in my old C-30 and used it that way for years, lots and lots of gigs. I used slapback or delay pedals and settings instead, which sounded better to me anyway.

5. backalleyblues

Thanks for the link, Crobbins, I read through some of the threads there, and I'll check some more over the weekend...

Worst case scenario I spring (pun intended!) for a new reverb pan, $30 shipped...

Franc Robert

fuffydingo and Crobbins like this.
  6. backalleyblues

Well, it's confirmed-the reverb tank has tanked... :(

I borrowed 4 different tanks from my buddy this afternoon, and unfortunately, NONE of them were the correct impedance... BUT...

One (meant for a blackface Fender amp) DID work somewhat-I cranked the reverb knob, and sure enough, it was there, barely...

I'll try to fix the input connecter tonight, in the meantime, I'm ordering another tank in... any particular recommendations out there? The original is a 4EB2C1B (2 spring, medium decay, long tank)... wouldn't mind trying a 3 spring version in this amp...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Franc Robert

7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned a couple Classic 30s, great amp for the $, the reverb is SS (IC) driven, it's just ok even when working. I think a good reverb pedal would sound better, I recently got a TC Electronics Hall of Fame, and it has some great reverbs in it.

As far a different reverb tank, don't know, if you get the impedance matched up, the 3 spring units would have a different sound, better? don't know about that either, it's going to be limited by the circuit to a large extent.

8. backalleyblues

Goofing around a bit more last night, I plugged my old Boss RV-3 into the effects loop-actually quite nice, though I did have to dial back the mix all the way to 8 o'clock to avoid being drenched in reverb! Assuming I have an adapter that will work, I'll use it this way until I can get a tank in there... just don't care for that Boss buffer in the loop, brightened up the amp considerably...

Franc Robert

9. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Did you try the Boss reverb into the front end of the amp ?

10. backalleyblues

No, I haven't-I keep a Boss RV-6 on my board for those times when I want MORE reverb (kinda like more cowbell, in a way!). I ordered the tank this morning (stuck with a MOD 2 spring like the original) hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week-I do have a gig on Saturday where this amp would be much nicer to have onstage-small room, and we have to move our gear up with a dumbwaiter...

Franc Robert

11. willhowl

willhowl Tele-Meister

Hello, backalleyblues......I just went through a Reverb problem, with a Fender Champion 30 amp I picked up cheap, on local CL, knew it had issues..........

Anyway, got it solved, it works fine now...( as well as it can)..... Reverb driver IC was replaced, orig tank seemed wonky, a substitute/donor tank proved to have wrong impedance , ordered a new one from Amplified Parts that looked to be correct, and Success!!!.....

OK...totally different amp, but.....An external unit may/will give you more flexibility, but it sure is nice to have something onboard......

My point...keep after it, you will get it right....I love Peavey gear.....

Viva the Gulf Coast!!......willhowl......

12. backalleyblues

And now, an update...

Got the tank in yesterday, right before the gig-took 5 minutes to pull and swap the tanks, and sure enough, reveeeerrrrbbbbb...:D

So on to the gig we went with the Peavey in tow... sounded quite good, and the reverb (with the MOD tank) sounded much better than I thought it would-not quite Fender splashy, but smooth and much deeper than I was expecting (this is the 2 spring replacement, not a 3 spring)

I'm going to give this amp a couple gigs before trying to figure out what I want to do with it mods-wise-it is a very heavy mids amp (I had the mids all the way to zero!) and I feel it could use a little bit of sparkle-I've read through the BlueGuitar mods, and while they're pretty straightforward, I've seen the innards of these amps before... not something I would look forward to working on, I'd rather work on a HRDX than this amp! Hoping a speaker/tube swap would solve my issues, but let me give this amp a little more play time before I start chasing after "the tone"...

Thanks again (and I'm all ears on speaker-tube swaps!)

Franc Robert

13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Great..working..give it time..you may not need anything..
    .I tried many speakers..all different, all good...also did the NFB...I think I went back and undid it later...would have been nice to make a switch

14. backalleyblues

ok, time for a follow-up...

Reverb is working fine, if a bit noisy-been reading that it could be the IC chip driving the reverb is going, will have to investigate which one it needs (without looking at a schematic, I'm betting TL072). Played 3 gigs now, and I have a much better handle on what this amp is about-very nice, kinda tweedy cleans on tap with this particular amp, big meaty tones with my '83 telly, and sounded gorgeous with my Guild Starfire IV.

But it's still missing something to my ears-sounds kinda like the bright switch is off on a blackface Fender (my Super Reverb always has the bright switch on!). Wonder if there's a simple mod to the tone stack to address that, or maybe a speaker swap can accomplish the same thing? To refresh, it has its original Blue Marvel (Eminence, guessing Legend 1258) in there, dunno how well broken in it is...

Franc Robert

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.