NAD - Peavey Bandit 75

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Pasta Player, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

So who says that the Peavey tolex is indestructible?
    This one looks like the cat used it as a scratching post and also even ate a bit of the bottom.
    Seems like I’m collecting Peaveys now and this one will either get recovered or re-cabbed. - I just couldn’t pass it up for the price.

One must have projects.;)

Hopefully the Bandit 65’s are lighter in weight. (The last Bandit remaining to acquire.)

Bandit75.png
    Previous owner's CL listing pic. (It's already disassembled here tonight.)

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Black duct tape will fix that !!! Nice amp !!!

SPUDCASTER and Pasta Player like this.
  3. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats.

Pasta Player likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

If a tube amp had a case that damaged, knowing the Peavey tolex, it would have no chance of working. The Bandit, probably works ok.

That's a great project, collecting each of the Bandit models.

Pasta Player and rangercaster like this.
  5. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I must say that this forum is the first place where I've found anyone else (besides myself) who understands that Peavey gear is sorely underrated.

P Thought, Sneaks, stnmtthw and 4 others like this.
  6. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

Those are great amps. Congrats on that find. Get it back to snuff, take good care of it and it'll most likely outlive you! I gig almost exclusively with its big brother, the Special 130. I've said it many times over, if I could only have two amps it would be a Peavey Special 130 and an early 70's Fender SF Twin Reverb.

Pasta Player likes this.
  7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Give me a Peavey ...or an old Crate anyday ....more money to spend on guitars and beer..

Pasta Player likes this.
  8. Pasta Player

Old tolex removed, gutted, cleaned and reassembled. It’s coming along.
    It’s been wet… or at least in a damp location (bottom cabinet swelled).

No input with high gain jack. Jack checks out ok and even re-soldered on the board.
    Signal is just not “making it”. Ideas anyone? Low gain input works well w/ all settings.
    (Yup, usin’ a footswitch too.)

Four new screws for amp mounting & new AC plug. $5.73
    (The ground plug was removed.)
    All good except for that high gain input.

Looks like utter hell now, but a very solid performer.
    Might change the opamps out. / Black duct tape?:twisted:

Current.png

9. Pasta Player

Finished now. Just swapped opamps with the Bandit 112 and replaced both input jacks and all is well.
    (Rustoleum black "Stone" textured finish with 2 coats of MiniWax semi-gloss polyurethane over the cab.)
    It might not be a Dumble - but damn good for a 30+ year-old U.S. made amp... especially for around $30.00.
    :twisted::twisted::twisted:

And yup, probably will now outlive me.

Bandit75.png B75Now.png

10. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

nice work!enjoy.

Pasta Player likes this.
  11. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

what opamps did you swap for what?
    i have a express 112 blue stripe, gives very good cleans, but i don't like the distortion so much. (harsch sounding)
    with the supersat engaged i have to back down the high to 9 a clock
    [​IMG]

but these are great amps, only the parts can be sometime difficult.
    especially the pots the way they are build.
    [​IMG]

Pasta Player likes this.
  12. Pasta Player

@hopdybob

Had a Teal Bandit 112 here that had hiss present when I originally resurrected it and was prepared to just live with that - before the 75 arrived… but I took the opamps from the 112 and placed them in the Bandit 75 and the opamps from the 75 were then placed into the 112. (Both were the original Texas Instruments RC4558P opamps.)

Initially, it seemed that I had just transferred the hiss to the 75 but after reseating them all (pushing them completely down into their sockets) that hiss vanished. Now both the 112 and the 75 are very quiet and no more hiss. Funny, the Bandit 75’s opamps (with black colored tops) were older… while the 112’s were newer (with silver tops) as pictured here:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/hissssss-bandit-75-112.1008747/#post-9652103
    *The Bandit 112 has one more (than the four socket-mounted opamps) soldered to the board.
    I left that one alone. (Other possible replacement opamps are also noted in that thread.)

Maybe… just after so many years and oxidation, etc. the opamps just need to be removed and re-seated
    to once again establish a renewed connection within their sockets to eliminate hiss?
    Worth a shot anyway. It worked for me.

D100L-25C.png
    ALSO - I use 90+% isopropyl alcohol injected via needle & syringe to clean, flood & flush the small pots.
    And now for protection & lube purposes, I also use a small drop of liquid DeoxIT (D100L-25C) afterwards.
    This comes with a small metal tip attachment so you don’t have to spray a wasteful amount of expensive
    aerosol DeoxIT trying to clean and protect the small pots.

13. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

thank you for your reply. some pots i de-soldered and put in almost pure alcohol, wiggled them arround a bit turning back and forth and most off them were better, one did seemed to be damaged and had a hard time for finding on that fitted.
    the hiss with the reverb i have could be that possible corrosion problem with the opamps, will look into that.
    someone mention t that the board is very close to the transformer mounting, and his amp got shorted.
    i put i piece of plastic between that.
    and maybe not a Dumble, but these are very good ampts, good cleans so good starting points

Pasta Player likes this.
  14. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Rustoleum makes this black textured stuff that has metallic in it - called 'Galaxy' IIRC. It dries hard as nails and only takes one or two coats. I've used it on a couple of guitar bodies now with great results. I had a custom head cab made for a Marshall that I converted from a combo to a head, and I used a textured olive paint for that, and it only came out kind of fair looking, so I plan on topcoating it with the 'Galaxy' stuff instead.

...Anyway - just thought I'd mention it - the 'Galaxy' finish is fast (cures pretty quickly, doesn't need clearcoats), durable, and looks COOL.

Pasta Player likes this.
  15. Prairie Phoenix

Prairie Phoenix TDPRI Member

I think I recognize that amp. KC Craigslist? Posted by that dude with the $10 First Act amp that shows up every stinking day for the past several months?
    You really turned it into a fine looking amp, nice job!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.