NAD - Peavey Bandit 65

srblue5

Tele-Holic
I found an ‘80s Peavey Bandit 65 that a guy was selling locally. I wanted a relatively affordable yet durable solid-state amp that I could keep at my band’s rehearsal space and use as a backup once gigs return.

I brought it home this evening after work and fired it up briefly. I’ll jam with it for longer tomorrow during my lunch break (shared walls late at night, Y’know). So far it sounds awesome. The speaker is a little crackly at higher volumes, though…I’ll have to check it out more closely tomorrow.
5C864C18-411A-4F89-9FEA-C346FA8F0850.jpeg

Michael A.

Tele-Afflicted
If you find that the cone has become loose in the basket, as I did on my 65, it isn't too hard to reglue. Here's how I did it.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I had a couple of them that I left at different practice places. I really liked the sound. They were the heaviest SS amps imaginable!

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Nice! FWIW, I broke the stock Sheffield speaker in my Bandit. I replaced it with a Celestion Seventy 80 (common as dirt) and it sounds better than ever.

FollowMyHead

TDPRI Member
This (the 65) was my first "serious" amp when I was starting out. It was a hand-me-down from my father (also a guitarist). Heavy as hell to a 12 year old (and just about anyone else). I still have divots in my shins from lugging it around from jam session to jam session. At one point. I had 2 Bandits in stereo.

I now have a newer Bandit with a Swamp Thang speaker installed. I prefer the old silver stripes and might buy one (and get rid of the newer one) if I see one in great condition used. They really are great amps. Yours looks like it's in fantastic shape! Congrats!

homesick345

Poster Extraordinaire
I think this particular Bandit 65 model is a tremendous amp (irrespective of type & circuit),

..& might very well be the best SS amp ever made.

If ONLY BB & Albert King wised-up to these beautiful sounding SS amps, instead of the crappy sounding Moog/Lab & Acoustic amps..... (this is a controversial personal opinion, as many regard the Lab series amps as a big deal...)

Last edited: