1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD: Peavey Bandit 65

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Telecastoff1, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

1. The Scorpion speaker has an easy field-replaceable basket. No need to replace the whole speaker. Look at the label on the side of the basket and buy a replacement for it. Peavey may have one or check with the bay or verb.
    2. You should be able to get De-Oxit into every pot with little or no effort. Don't forget to clean all of the jacks and removable connections and connectors as well.
    3. Yes, the grill cloth frame is held on with very strong (usually plastic) hook and loop type connectors. I find it easier to remove it by pushing in out at the top, above the speaker from the rear of the amp with a long, flat object. Be careful to to puncture the speaker. if you slip.
    4. Yes, the reverb wire harness has two RCA-type connectors at the reverb pan and a 4 pin Molex connector at the chassis. Be sure to clean those connections as well.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Michael A. likes this.
  2. true geezer

true geezer TDPRI Member

I recently got a Peavey amp I would like to know more about. Serial number 1A-791402 corner of label says 81 A.Amp has unusually long power cord nine feet. Amp came with working foot switch and says Bandit on front with solo series above it also has fifty watt output.I can’t send pictures yet

3. true geezer

true geezer TDPRI Member

Geezer is showing his age I forgot speaker has square magnet with 12838G 67-8102 printed on frame.

4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Bandit 75 in the late 80s but had to sell it when I went back to college in my 20s.

Then about 8 years ago I picked up a used Envoy. Pretty much the same machine but with slightly less earth-shattering volume.

Many gigs later, still going strong.

5. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

Telecastoff1,

Thanks very much for those specific details. I'll try that today.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I've never owned one exactly like yours. I've owned the later models, the Bandit 65 and Bandit 75 (both also badged as part of the "Solo Series"), not to mention other Peavey amps. But the model name on yours, on the front panel (beside the Ground and Power switches), and also the info printed on the paper label on the back of your amp should be the same as on the models I had.

Sounds like yours is from the model before the advent of the Solo Series Bandit 65. The number/letter prefix (before the six-digit code) combined with the the numbers/letter stamp is what I go by in dating a Peavey amp from the 1980s. Yours I'd figure to be Made in Meridian, Mississippi in 1981.

There were two "Bandits" before the Bandit 65: the original badged simply "Bandit" and its successor, the Solo Series Bandit. The original Bandit was also unofficially called the "Gunsmoke" Bandit, because the font used on the front panel for the name closely resembled the font for the television series "Gunsmoke." That one to my knowledge was just in production one year, 1980. It was a 50 watt RMS amp with a different speaker than later models.

The Solo Series Bandit that followed (yours?) started in 1981. To my knowledge it was still 50 watts RMS, but the speaker in it was Peavey's own Scorpion, a good speaker.

Then after the "Solo Series Bandit" came the Solo Series Bandit 65. The "65" designation added to the name was because the amp's output was upgraded to 65 watts RMS. It also had the Scorpion speaker. I don't know the exact years the 65 model was in production, but I believe it was 1983-87. Mine was an '84.

Then the Bandit 75 came out, seems like just a couple of years, 1988-89. Mine was an '88. Upgraded to 75 watts. Same speaker.

After the Bandit 75, all successive Bandits were designated "Bandit 112," of course indicating the speaker size 1x12" (although the previous Bandits had 12" speakers as well). And they were all rated 80 watts.

I don't know a whole lot about your specific model, but I think I've got it pegged in the historical timeline of Peavey Bandit amp iterations. Oh, and I'm a lousy photographer, but here are pics of mine...

upload_2021-3-7_21-15-35.png
    upload_2021-3-7_21-15-53.png

7. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Telecastoff1,

Thanks very much for those specific details. I'll try that today.

Let us know how that works out for you. Good luck with that. I think you'll find that maintaining and working on those old Peavey amps can be fun and quite rewarding, just doing it yourself.

8. Michael A.

Thanks for that. Everything except the speaker has been sorted. I took the magnet off the Scorpion and did repeated cleaning of the voice coil gap in the magnet, using poster paper wipes after a good soaking with CRC contact cleaner. The paper came out very clean eventually, and there was some improvement. At low volumes, I get clear notes on the high strings, but on the low strings, it is very blatty and sounds like the cone is torn and flapping, but I see no evidence of that. I'll take the speaker out again, and try again with the cleaning regimen. I did read that heat can bake on the debris from the deteriorated foam seal that originally was in the center of the speaker and it becomes like varnish. I'll have another go, and if no joy, then time for a speaker swap to something I already have on hand.

Radio Shack JBL wannabe made by Utah.

IMG_20210307_155452253_HDR.jpg IMG_20180326_151259181_HDR.jpg

9. duanewalden50

duanewalden50 TDPRI Member

10. duanewalden50

duanewalden50 TDPRI Member

You can find a used Scorpion speaker for a decent price around 60-75 bucks. They have a replaceable basket but that runs like $100.00 brand new because the magnet comes off for easy replacement. It is one of their main selling points. I myself prefer Eminence guitar speakers but a lot of people love the Scorpions. They are a loud speaker with plenty of punch.

11. tonyboy

tonyboy TDPRI Member

I used to live in San Diego. Now living in Atlanta area.. I have a Bandit 65 in both places. So cheap and so good.

12. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Around here the Bandit 112 was the working man's amp. Tons of guys played it; from Blues to Country, Rock, and even Metal.
    I played various tube amps and a few other SS amps, but never took the plunge.
    Got one of the modern Bandit 112 amps years ago, and I have to say, I don't miss any of my other amps; everything I need I can get from this amp.

13. Michael A.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.