1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD: Peavey Bandit 65

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Telecastoff1, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I know much has been said about the Peavey Bandit 65 over the years.....some good, some bad. I picked one up off CL a week or so ago, for a price cheaper than a used lawn chair. In all my years of playing, I've seen and heard them many times, but never had a yearn for one. I've always been very attached to my Special 130 amps to cover my SS needs and regarded the Bandit 65 as a "lesser" amp.
    Cosmetically, it was very obvious this amp had seen many miles of road/touring use and abuse. But, when I got it home and fired it up, I was totally blown away by its tone and power. I've been playing on this amp all week long now, and have run every one of my electrics thru it, looking for a weak spot, tone-wise....but I can't find it. Somewhere, in its long life of existence (it's an '82 according to the serial number), the "tone elves" came along and blew some magic tone dust in it. Anyone else with similar Bandit 65 experience?

2. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I am partial to the Special 130's as well.... primarily for the mid shift.
    The Bandit 65 is the same family.... just without a mid shift, and half the power. The latter doesn't matter, because they are still killer loud!

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  3. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I like my slightly later Special 150–especially for clean lap steel—and wouldn’t find it any less useful if was the half-as-powerful Bandit 75 little brother.

But it would be even better and more versatile if it had the Special 130’s mid shift EQ.

I traded a pedal I didn’t really like for mine. It needed an epoxy repair for a couple of torn-out speaker mounting holes. I had some leftover wood repair epoxy, so THAT worked out.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  4. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Bandit 65 is one of the best workhorse solid state amps ever. I had one of the 80's Solo Series models with the silver panels for years. They are nearly indestructible. Mine survived being flooded twice, but the cabinet fell apart after the third flood. The circuit and the speaker still worked, though. I gave it away to a friend who used the Scorpion speaker for a custom cabinet build.

bgmacaw and Telecastoff1 like this.
  5. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I love the Bandit 65 so much that I have TWO! The only problem I've ever had were reverb tank issues, but that's an easy fix.

It's an incredible pedal platform too. And those who have mentioned it being LOUD are right! It's almost painful to turn it past 3 on the dial on the clean channel.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  6. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

Great amps, I owned one back in the day. I'd like to find a couple Special 130s to use for pedal steel, split with a chorus or reverb pedal to thicken the sound.

Telecastoff1 and Pasta Player like this.
  7. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Congrats on your B65..! I love my Special 130.

2020.08.06 - Two Patriots & Two Amps.JPG

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  8. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister

Aww p-shaw.

Don’t even talk to me about the Bandit Series - and especially the 65. Ever since the surprise Teal Bandit 112 dumpster find last year, it’s been the year of Peavey ‘round here (once I discovered the “secret goodness” of this series AND I finally got a Bandit 65 to round out my set (of now four). I really need to pick only one to keep but never seem to get around to making that cut.

Yes, my name is Pasta Player and I am a Bandit Hoarder. AND I’m a man... I can change... if I have to.

Congrats on your great buy, 65!

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  9. Telecastoff1

It's great to hear back from all you Bandit 65, Special 130, Special 150 and Teal Bandit owners. This Bandit 65 is definitely a keeper. It sits right next to my two Special 130's now. These old Peavey Solo Series amps were designed and built with that something special about them.....pure simplicity at its best....sorta like a Tele in the right hands.

Nahtabot likes this.
  10. Supa Necta

Supa Necta TDPRI Member

I picked one up 2 weeks ago for $80. I agree with everything posted above. Brings back memories of my first 2 amps as a teen - the microbass and the TNT 150. F0ABC882-D7E8-4C7C-871D-DA9483532AAB.png

McGlamRock, Telecastoff1 and Nahtabot like this.
  11. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I played one for 30 years. Gave it to my nephew cause I couldn't sell it for a fair price. They sound decent. Good distortion and real spring reverb. Don't tip it over or the reverb will get stuck and squeal. If that happens, open the back and take the reverb tank out of the sleeve. Then set the spring back where it belongs and put it back

billy logan and Telecastoff1 like this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I have that 65, a red-stripe 2x12, and a 2010-ish MIC 112 ... all great.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  13. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

Can I join in the Solid State fun?

IMG_0018.JPG

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  14. Telecastoff1

Absolutely! I had one of those years ago...I wish I woulda hung onto it. Great amp.

Nahtabot likes this.
  15. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

This one's a keeper. I just do not get along with those concentric EQ controls!

16. Mark N

Mark N Tele-Afflicted

I just grabbed a Bandit 65 last week for $60!! I couldn't pass up that deal and I had been wanting one for a long time....It's been almost 25 years since I last had one! Sounds great with my tele too!! I've always had a love for the Bandit and forgot how damn good it sounds!
    Noodling some bluesy stuff with the Bandit in this clip!

gitlvr likes this.
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

My 1987 Bandit 65 quit on me a couple of months ago (powers up, no sound). It probably needs some overhaul work. I'm getting my SF Princeton Reverb serviced right now so the Bandit will get its turn later.

18. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

About 10 years ago I bought 2 of the silver panel '80s Bandits for like $120 each. I left them at 2 practice rooms for convenience. Great country amps. Clean, real spring reverb, great with Teles. The thing I could never figure out is why the hell were they so heavy? In the '70s I had a Pro Reverb with JBLs that seemed lighter!

19. Ted Witton

Ted Witton Tele-Meister

As I have said somewhere else, these are classic amps and built like the proverbial.... they will still be going strong when something novel in the future has replaced all the current digital stuff.
    The advantages of digital cannot be denied - lightweight and very versatile, but really, are we all wimps, and how many tones do we really need? The eq of the Bandits plus your guitar tone controls give alot of flexibility Maybe for some the overdrive channel is not the best, but hey that is what we had pedals for - even when tube amps reigned supreme - and nothing takes pedals better than the Peavey Bandit

5595bassman and Brian L like this.
  20. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

I bought one of these amps today. Didn't need it but couldn't pass it by for $20! The seller said the pots and jacks needed cleaning, so I took it apart before even trying it. After contact cleaner and Deoxit, it is working, but the speaker is shot. I have a few questions about these amps before I decide what to do with it.

Can the speaker be reconed? How does one get Deoxit into the innermost pot can? One pot is still very sluggish. Is the grille cloth panel attached to the baffle with velcro or some other means? Do the wires to the reverb tank have removable connectors that could be corroded? I've never looked inside a tank bag before, but have a general understanding of them.

Thanks for any guidance.

IMG_20210306_150608901.jpg IMG_20210306_151412568.jpg IMG_20210306_151849224.jpg IMG_20210306_161313653.jpg IMG_20210306_152120606_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.