NAD, Overdrive Special

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bullfrogblues, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

To the OP - sorry for the tangents you NAD got dragged into. I really am curious which specific amp the builder based your amp on (and I am guessing - and I certainly hope - that it's a great amp. I like the idea of EL34's!).

Again the rest of my first post was just general info covering the majority of ODS amps in case you weren't aware - that's all. Primarily I'd just love to get more tech details, since EL34-based ODS are a bit unusual.

Thanks for your understanding -

Jim

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  2. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

I did post about my conversations with Mr. Dumble. I have a receipt for payment for a standard ODS from him. I'm not going to post it on a forum to prove to you, a stranger, what I am saying is true. Believe what I posted or not. Totally up to you.
    You seem to be confusing me with another poster in this thread. I am not a proponent of degooping amps. What I have stated is, there are ODS amps made in the 80s and later that were never gooped. I also stated you won't find pictures on the internet of their chassis because the buyers sign an agreement with Mr. Dumble to protect his design by not photographing the interior OR let an unauthorized tech work on it.
    Carlton (and maybe Ford too) have let Bludotone amps inside of theirs to copy them for touring amps. I posted a link to an interview with him where he states this.
    If you think Carlton's or Ford's Dumbles are gooped, you are mistaken.
    I would say Mr. Carlton's relationship with Mr. Dumble is no more.
    I also stated in this thread that many of the amps he's built have had the identifying marks sanded off. I also stated that Mr. Dumble hand selects parts based on their tested values at the time he builds the amps. He doesn't just put any ABC capacitor in there because he knows their values vary as much as 20%.
    I also stated that unless the parts are removed from the amp and then tested, that their actual values can't be determined while they are in the circuit. So, just degooping a Dumble amp is risky and probably a waste of time.

It has been suggested that I put you on ignore. That might be a good thing for both of us to do.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    rogb likes this.
  3. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Congrats on your new amp! Enjoy!!

bullfrogblues likes this.
  4. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

What we really need to de-goop; is whatever Dumble put into his amps to turn us all into hissing hyenas :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  5. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Here is what is going to happen:

Quit bickering

Let the OP enjoy his purchase

You have been warned

Thank you

6. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

Hah!
    For a minute there I thought I'd gotten on TGP by mistake.
    :confused:

Enjoy your new amp OP. MK makes awesome stuff.

RedRock, Bones, bullfrogblues and 2 others like this.
  7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

No worries, and I certainly don't want to ignore you.

I apologize for creating a bit of confusion; I wasn't totally clear in all my posts as to which portions were addressing points by which specific poster - I would have had to split a ton of quotes upor made multiple, slightly repetitive posts for clarity. Which in hindsight I should likely have done. So if any conflict popped up it was my fault. Sorry.

You and I are mostly in agreement, and the point you just made about parts removal/testing for accuracy (and him telling me he also removed many value identifying markings in addition to - or in lieu of - "gooping") reinforces the point that actual "clones" are virtually impossible. Or at the very least impractical/too costly in labor.

My original intent, again, was just to I.D. which amp the maker had supposedly cloned - and was it a "non gooped", "de-gooped" or W.A.G. circuit.

I'm aware of the non-disclosure agreement - but it loses effectiveness if an amp is sold as "used". With the large (relatively) number of amps that have been sold by original owners it would seem logical that there would be a number of detailed chassis pictures of non-gooped or de-gooped amps. Yet there aren't, which has baffled quite a few of us in the tech world.

Other than that, I hope the owner got an amp he's happy with that can be tweaked/dialed in by any competent tech to optimize it for his playing style!

akuster777 and MilwMark like this.
  8. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

$29 on Amazon, and a whole lot less stressful.:p

But seriously, hope you enjoy your new amp and that you get the sounds out of it that you are looking for for a lot less money than a Dumble costs?

I know nothing about Dumbles, other than hearing a few clips and watching ridiculous You Tube videos, it seems that very few of the originals are in the hands of people making music that any of us have actually heard or that represent "iconic tones", sort of like the original bursts. A few owned by well known pros, the rest hoarded away by rich guys whose talents lie outside of the musical arts.

0708190725_resized.jpg

rebelwoclue likes this.
  9. akuster777

akuster777 TDPRI Member

Congrats again to the OP.

If you've had time to dial in some sounds you're pleased with, I'd love to hear some audio or video clips (with the understanding that the live amp probably always will sound better)!

BTW, some folks (not me) are smart enough to guess what might be under the Dumble goop. Here's a terrific thread showing how such feats can be done: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27644

Best,

Andrew

bullfrogblues likes this.
  10. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nice try...thanks..but I don't have the required permission to enter...might have mentioned that ahead of my look see..I'll take your word that photos show something interesting besides that pink runner band..

11. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

There was an opinion that Dumble removed values under the goop, and that it was epoxy, here is a photo of part of the de-gooped #124 preamp. I have others also clearly showing more values. You can see it is silicone, and in fact Dumble did some updating, removed some goop, replaced some parts and re-gooped.
    This is how builders such as Mr Kane know they are using the correct values.
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet:lol: ODS_124065.jpg
    #70 no goop
    Pict2425.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019 at 6:03 AM
    LuthRavin likes this.
  12. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

I'd be interested to see a shot of the OP's main board to see how it compares? If you ever get a chance, please post it.

13. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

If it's EL34s it's probably based on #183, which was originally built for a studio, so not voiced for anyone in particular. The amp was eventually turned over to Shad at Quinn amps by the then owner(TAG on TGP)to be documented and a few clones built. The amp was then sold. Details and schematics were later made public and are available on the Web.

(Quinn amps later imploded owing several people money or amps).

I know Mark Kane has built a few based on that amp. There is a thread on TGP right now on a new #183 Kane build, and Tag has commissioned another clone being built by Lou at Louis Electric, which will be made available to the public in the future.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019 at 1:52 PM
    rogb likes this.
  14. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Be nice to hear a sound clip...

RedRock likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.