NAD, Overdrive Special

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bullfrogblues, Jun 22, 2019.

1. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I mentioned a while back that I had commissioned this amp, and the builder called Thursday to let me know he had finished it. Fortunately, he lives in the same city, so a 20 minute drive and I was in his shop demoing the amp and finding out all it can do. It is very complex and might take quite the learning curve for an old guy like me, but the tones coming out of this thing are glorious!
    EL34 50 watt combo with a Weber Michigan Alnico speaker. 2 button footswitch for gain and boost, a triode switch for a little quieter setting, and several other switches for bass boost and bright.
    Mark Kane's work is stunning. He builds these Dumble clones as well as Trainwrecks, almost 800 of the TW so far, and several hundred D clones. I'm very pleased so far.
    Overdrive Special MKIV by Mark Kane.jpg

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Beautiful, I just bought a new amp yesterday, and thought I as set for a while. Now I see this and instant GAS.

Congrats neighbor, and more photos and clips please.

Enjoy

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    bullfrogblues likes this.
  3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

*Which* Dumble is it based on? Since there is no such thing as a standard Overdrive Special, so-called "clone" builders have to guess at the preamp parts values (since they're covered by opaque epoxy that can't be removed without destroying the parts or the markings) and this situation is even more unique, as VERY few were built with EL34's.

Saying "Overdrive Special" is sort of like saying "Fender". It's a sub-brand of Dumble Amplifiers, but not an amp "model" since each one was voiced for a specific player. Each one made by some other builder may be a semi-"copy" of a specific serial numbered Amp Dumble built - but not an exact one, and most certainly not a "clone".

So what is his approach and which Dumble amp does he have access to for head-to-head sound comparison?

4. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

^^

Exactly...how..It looks well done..enjoy your amp!!

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  6. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Meister

Could you be any more smug? Let the guy enjoy his NAD.

sds1, FenderLover, RyCo1983 and 10 others like this.
  7. Silverface

Nothing smug at all. They're reasonable questions. Knowledgable buyers purchase "OD Special" - type" amp models based on one specific serial number. Some use the term "clone" but know there's no such thing.

Questions were specific because there are few EL-34 loaded OD Specials or OD Special- based semi-copies. I'm sure several who have played real Dumble-built amps are curious which amp that one is based on; the additional information regarding real ones being one-off , player oriented designs was intended for readers not familiar with the realities of Dumble amps. I don't own a Dumble, so I don't understand what I'd have to be smug about....

LuthRavin and MilwMark like this.
  8. Mexitele Blues

It's obvious you have never read your own writing.

9. Silverface

Yes, I do read my own posts.

I do tend to post straightforward information others may not be aware of, or where misconceptions are common. It's a fairly common part of the activity on this board as posted by many others as well.

I assume since you're fairly new here you just haven't seen that much of it. But another forum "norm" is *not* jumping into a discussion as a 3rd person "attitude corrector". Unless there are technical errors it's best to NOT be a 3rd person attempting to raise a ruckus or "fix" a perceived attitude.

There are moderators who look for and handle personal issues - let them. Your insult was out of line.

LuthRavin and dreamingtele like this.
  10. Mexitele Blues

Surprise surprise, more smug.

pontiacfan46, Jonnyb73 and tidalcast like this.
  11. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Every time I see your icon I read on. Much to learn on this forum...

Oh and congrats OP!

12. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

That looks like a nice amp man. I always liked the tones of the Dumble amps... kind of like a nice Fender with a tight gritty edge to them when driven. I am not too sure of the FET input if I would like it but do let us know what you think!

Feel free to post a few clips so we can hear her!

RedRock likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

More like a senior TDPRI member with vast professional experience and a blunt manner of sharing it.

On the internet it's hard to tell the difference between one and another poster of info, and probably most statements are just regurgitations of wiki pages.
    Not really a good fight to attack the bluntness of a valuable human resource.

That said, there are lots of speculative Dumble schematics on the internet, hard to say how close any are to which Dumbles.
    Likely the ungooped sections are cloned and the gooped bits are guessed at.

I find the frequent reference to "Plexi Marshall" annoying because there were many different versions and they sounded quite different, then further when pedals claim a "Plexi sound" and sound nothing like a Plexi.
    Same with the common reference to "Greenbacks".
    There were at least four different models that sounded very different, yet on the internet there is only one.

The few who point out that repeating misinformation doesn't make it correct are often not well received, because the masses tend to prefer pop mythology over the more complex realities that are often behind the myths.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  14. telemnemonics

Open 'er up and post some wiring pics!

RedRock and LuthRavin like this.
  15. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

A very good looking amp. I’ll take one please.

Treehouse likes this.
  16. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Perhaps I was in error when I used the word "clone". I guess I should have said D style amp.
    According to the builder, "Your amp is based on the mid '80's amps when he first started going to the higher plate resistor values. His amps went thru a constant transition over the years. He's built over 300 of these and I'd guess maybe 50-75 have been gone thru. I've been in 9 and shared info with others who've seen other amps."
    Thanks to all the positive replies, I'm really enjoying this amp, and will even more when I learn the functions better.

17. telemnemonics

I guess it might be like saying I bought a Picasso clone when I bought a painting done in Picasso style, as opposed to a copy of Guernica (etc).
    Picasso made guitars so it's not that much of a stretch to compare!

My D style amps was supposed to be based on #124 I believe, and was the first D style amp built by the builder, so it has stickers all over it, no face plate, and a low frequency oscillation at certain settings.
    While I've gotten some searing sounds out of it, I have not bonded with the interface, and sometimes wonder if it's me or if the amp has problems I don't understand beyond that oscillation.

I've also been unable to dial in a satisfactory clean and dirty sound, plus find the second tiny three band EQ hidden inside the chassis confusing to operate, which should help dial in any problems between clean and dirty EQ.

It's too bad I can't use the thing because I really liked the best of the dirty sounds, and even the cleans are very good, if not exactly my favorite. Nice to have the builder near you, and nice to have had him give you some tips setting it up.
    Or maybe they are really simple amps to use and either my brain is maxed out at six knobs or this amp is bad...

18. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't see anything "smug" there - he was conveying factual information. Each Dumble amp is pretty much one-of-a-kind; clones are impossible. Perhaps a clone of a specific Dumble amp is possible if one could remove the epoxy from each component without wrecking anything. But has this ever been done? Building a Dumble clone or copy is akin to building a Toyota copy... Which one?

Whenever I see anything with the name "Dumble" in it, since I've already seen videos of some of the actual units, my main interest is: how much did it cost? I already know what they look like, and the sound samples represent amps that could sound alike, or different - it's impossible to tell because of different miking techniques, etc.

I hope the OP enjoys his new amp, because it's undoubtedly of extremely high quality and will likely last a lifetime and sound very good (and it looks great too). But the whole "Dumble clone" business has question marks all over it.

19. Mexitele Blues

I hadn't heard of the builder you mentioned so I looked him up. It sounds like he knows what he's doing, in that he will work with his customers to voice his amps accordingly. Did you make any special requests on this build?

20. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

congrats on the new amp. A 50W combo with 1X12, EL34 sounds very intriguing. Would love to hear it in person!

I have to admit, the use of "Overdrive Special" in that particular font style, with that particular grill cloth makes me a little queasy. But that's my problem, not yours. For me, I'd want Mr. Kane's name front and center, but I can't blame the guy for wanting to make a living however he sees fit.

Of particular interest to me is the "overdrive ratio" pot - I'd be interested in hearing how that works out for you and what you think of it. Thanks again for posting and I'll look forward to updates.

MilwMark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.