NAD--Origin 50

Collin D Plonker

Tele-Afflicted
Just got a Marshall Origin 50, and I am very pleased with it. It sounds sounds awesome.

I was a little worried about it being too loud, based on some of the reviews and forum comments. It's not too loud for me, primary because I prefer using a pedalboard into a clean amp. I was playing with my buddies with the amp pushing a comfortable 89 dB.

I don't know why people think you can't use it for bedroom playing. It still sounds great at 80 dB. My normal range for bedroom playing is 80-90. It has a 10 watt mode that's much quieter than that, but that mode sounds kinda crappy with distortion.

All in all, this amp us perfect for me.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Man... I've been looking at these and the 20 as well.... congrats!!!

Cali Dude

Tele-Afflicted
Cool, I have heard good things about that amp. I haven't had a marshall amp in a long time. It's fun to rock out.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Good things come in twos. I also just bought a floor-model Origin 50 combo yesterday. I’m very impressed with the amp.

Congratulations OP.

Last edited:

StevesBoogie

Tele-Afflicted
To the OP, did you get the head or combo?

Man, there is LOTS of love for the Origin 20 and Origin 50 on this board. I am dying to try it out any local music stores when the time is right.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
If I buy another amp it'll probably be an Origin. I love a Tele through that Bassman circuit. How close are these to an original Bassman in terms of tone?

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I have the Origin 50 head and the Origin 4x12A cab. My experience has been the same. Run it clean as a pedal platform and it can be used in the home in the 80 t0 95 dB range with no problems. The sound is reminiscent of the early JTM type Marshalls. It cannot be beat for the price.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
If I buy another amp it'll probably be an Origin. I love a Tele through that Bassman circuit. How close are these to an original Bassman in terms of tone?

I can't say how close it is to the Bassman the JTM45 was derived from, but I can say a Tele sounds glorious through these amps.
High end is certainly plentiful, but there are three controls (presence, treble, tilt) to keep it in check ;)

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
Congratulations!

I'm strongly drawn to the Origin 20C, but whenever I get to plunk down my credit card, there's always something I want just a little bit more. Eventually, perhaps.

Ps37

TDPRI Member
Congratulations! I've had my Origin 50 head for about 6 months, and along with an Avatar 212, it's been one of the most satisfying purchases I've made.

Just a home player, and the only other tube amp I've had was the Blues, Jr.

The recorded guitar tones I like most were produced primarily by the Bassman and the JTM45. The O50 has allowed me to get as close as I could hope for to the tone I've been looking for at an incredibly reasonable price. For me, it's really made playing tremendously enjoyable.

As happy as I was with the stock tubes, I decided to play around with some substitutions. I put a 12AY7 in V1, and swapped the EL34's for 6CA7's. I like it even more now!

I hope you enjoy yours as much!:)

Last edited: