1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD Orange

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by bftfender, Nov 22, 2020.

1. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Orange TH30
    TH30 OR15.jpg TH30.jpg

2. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Nice :) !

What model is the smaller Orange head?

3. tele-nova

tele-nova TDPRI Member

If you need to unload that or15 now let me know...

Happy new amp day!

radiocaster likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great stuff!

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Congrats.

I was looking at the Orange Dark Mini before I bought my Katana. The 12" speaker and loaded 50 effects won me over.

mexicanyella likes this.
  6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had the pleasure of doing a Cap job on one of those amps ,What a pleasure sooooooo well designed and they sound outstanding congrats

7. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

well? what of it, do we get more than a picture?

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Cool, I've been looking for a deal on a two channel Orange, got the same little OR15 as you have on top and it's cool for dirt but not for clean sounds.

So many Orange models in the 30 or so watts two channel range.

How would you describe the distortion on this one?
    More or less modern than the OR15?
    I think of the OR15 as pretty modern distortion but not metal or whatever uber modern high gain is called now.

bftfender likes this.
  9. bftfender

OR15, i have to say that lil bugger out of all the amps i have..might be the best...into that cab its amazing. These 2 Oranges are like a time warp up the gain dial from the 70's.The OR is such a natural crunch amp,,but from subtle to saturated, it can be very preciselt dialed in. Really responsive to guitar controls.

10. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

That's what I thought it was :).

I played through one of those and really was impressed.

I found my tone with no problem, something I can't say of most amps.

edit: I'm not much of a pedal guy, so I expect and need a lot from amp - not such a tall order really, but it does narrow down the possibilities ;).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    bftfender likes this.
  11. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

The TH30 is such a versatile, great sounding amp!

bftfender likes this.
  12. bftfender

Much time in with them now

TH30 is amazing, it is 2 amps really, clean side & dirty.. am not a pedal guy so the gain shape is very effective..work on pairing guitars into amps much more than fiddling around. The Th can get close to the OR but i would say it leans tad modern but not in the high gain amp zone but in Oranges way. I just had 3 Mesa's & 2 Marshall's on as i am working out the next song. I have no loyalty but the song..i like how the TH can get at those amps & yet have the unique character vs just gain..which seems to be the mission lately..finding gain that is not all about how much but a quality to it that has some base tone character..yeah i play heavier but not really the modern sense..

The Th on the HP8 Celestion k100's..is a match like i never experience before. I can dial it in so darn close to any of the others. I usually give 1 amp the Rythym(tonal foundation of the song) & put anther one in for 2nd guitar or leads. but i believe this can pull it all off. There is a chime..there is a rasp..there is a clarity..all in how you want to set the amp.

el84 was what i started on when switched to guitar 5 years ago. Think i like the edge of cleans & how el84's seem to be always goosed waiting on you to activate it with the guitar volume knob. Seems to be a controllable linear progression of gain in most el84 amps i have played. The Mesa DC3 is that way also

Distortion..way more than OR15, after 1 O'clock it slowly adds in gain but in a saturated way i like..but not fizz..the shape & gain-volume..work in tandem very well, it can get closer to modern(my buds are all Diezel,Engl & all that gain).. thats not not me.if this was a super modern high gain circuit, i wouldn't bond. (i play Recto's on tube rec & spongy for my heavies..lol) like gain but old school. The TH30 has the higher gain but in comparison to modern high gain circuits..its still retains the character..the edge..that takes us back.

What is fantastic abut the th30 is it is stoner heaven..just turn everything right & grab a Gibson SG or LP, doesn't even need to roll back tone knob on guitar to get it, but can push a treble cut through & add nice texture to the gloom if needed..all the stoner EQ shifts are in the shape knob.

have to give this amp a real serious compliment. There are some amps in this house, dream amps & this makes you plug in & just play. The tele guys..Orange & tele's..go look for reviews..the circuits bond with tele's..but to me it is SG & loves my V's & Deans with all the Dimarzio & SD pickups..Dirty Fingers do something very characterful with the Oranges. The Melody maker with singles..prob could do a whole album with that tone..just amazing with singles

OR15 into greenbacks ..throwback..into v30,k100's leans it forward
    Th30 into k100's most versatile amp i ever played

Hope life is treating you good up north there !!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    telemnemonics and fenderchamp like this.
  13. bftfender

Was driving me nutz all day..went & dragged JTM 45 out & put it back in the lineup and the clean def has this flavor..even tho 45 was on greenbacks & TH on k100 got them surprisingly close. Seems the Orange is voiced on clean a bit like it..kept hearing something familiar..
    Always liked jtm45 cleans & how that edge of break is such a nice place to be with a boost to kick it around. Looks like we went full circle last 2 years in the great amp hunt & back to basic circuits & great guitars strait into the right speakers. if i didn't venture down the drop heavies so often, couple marshalls & Oranges would prob get it done
    JMP JTM45 DSL.jpg

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah JTM45 cleans...

Orange got noticed upon returning with the cool AD30 but the Tiny Terror really got them noticed and into everyone's dirty amp thinking.
    We may think of el84 amps as Voxy, and the AD30 looked on paper and even had a name sorta like Vox.

But the designer of the Tiny Terror was trying to get the early Angus tone, and that was the famed JTM45/100.
    I generally think Orange has stuck with upmarket Marshall sounds and it makes sense to look to the JTM45 clean voice as an obvious great starting point.

bftfender likes this.
  15. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

Congratulations. I have an Orange 32 combo amp that I love.

bftfender likes this.
  16. bftfender

is that el34 & 2 x10's?

17. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nice. Congratulations.

bftfender likes this.
  18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Gotta get my AD50 out. Haven’t played it for awhile...

Orange is making awesome amps these days.

bftfender likes this.
  19. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

It is the big brother to the Rocker 15. It has two 10" speakers that are wired in stereo and the power tubes are EL84s (similar to EL34s IMO). The "clean" channel has volume only (no eq) so you get the true nature of your guitar's sound. The "dirty" channel goes from barely overdriven to slightly crunchy to really heavy distortion.
    Here's a link: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...rocker-32-30-watt-2x10-inch-stereo-tube-combo

bftfender likes this.
  20. Rusty Spanner

Rusty Spanner Tele-Meister

Niiiiice.

Recently bought a Rocker 15 and I'm delighted with it.
    Sounds wonderful from late night volumes to flat out.

As already said, Orange are really on it at the moment.
    Quality, versatility and amazing tone.

Novak and bftfender like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.