1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD: Orange Crush 60C

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tiago, Aug 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tiago

Tiago TDPRI Member

Well, NAD was actually yesterday, but I could only dial it in today.
    I’ve had a used Micro Terror for about two months until I got fed up with the lack of reverb/effects loops and the fact it really only sounded good when it was too loud to use at home.

So this one pops up in the local classifieds, is roughly around the corner (er... up a mountain in the Black Forest, in a dairy farm :) and after haggling the number of European Union credits to be traded for it I dove head first.

First impressions when I plugged it in yesterday were along the likes of “meh, not bad, really like the Orange dirty sound, but missing something”. But today I got to set it up for my taste, and holy crap...

First things first, that sucker is loud. I have it stuck at 2 at home, and it’s borderline as loud as I’m willing to play it at home. So I plug in my Tele and go to town on the controls. I ended up with a nice clean tone, roundish like a Blackface of sorts but without the sparkle. The dirty side was easy enough to dial in, but I wasn’t particularly thrilled with the clean sound. Not yet.

I then rearranged my pedalboard around it. I’m rather minimalist. My main amp has a pedalboard consisting of a tuner and a Catalinbread Formula 55. This one is now hooked to a Boss TU3 -> MXR EQ -> Blues Driver (stock). That worked really, really well. The BD-2 brings the missing grit and sparkle to the clean sound, which is still round and full. Turn the EQ on for a boost, and I have all the crunch I could possibly want, and then I still have the dirty channel for extra giggles.

The way I set it up, it really shines with single coils (which is what I like anyway). The Tele and Strat are a joy, and the cheap and cheerful Harley Benton DC Jr. ersatz is an angry little devil through it.

I bought it mostly because I really like the Orange sound, but could never really bond with any of their valve amps (they all needed to be way too loud to show their stuff), and didn’t want to drag a pretty heavy boutique-ish amp to gigs that invariably end up with drunken people around it.

All in all, pretty happy with it, looking forward to whenever I can go back to gigging to use it live.

Treynor, 41144, Bella and 1 other person like this.
  2. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I have been very impressed with the Orange Crush line of amps. They sound very, very good and are quite responsive, reacting very naturally to picking dynamics and volume changes.

Good luck with it.

3. Tiago

Tiago TDPRI Member

Indeed. It is not “tube amp” dynamic, but close enough to be fun to play, sounds REALLY good, and doesn’t require a crane to lift. All wins in my book.

41144 likes this.
  4. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

As a fellow Orange fan, this might be of interest to you, though it sounds as if you have pedals you like. I can attest to the OCD and the Pigtronix boost. Would like to try the pickle sometime.
    https://orangeamps.com/articles/technical/choosing-an-overdrivedistortion-pedal-for-your-orange-amp/

5. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

Hey, congrats on the Crush! I haven't played the 60 (or the 35), but I imagine its similar sounding to the 120.

The Micro Dark is a great little amp, but yes, it is somewhat lacking without a 3-band and reverb. Still pretty useable in a pinch for my needs. I dont use much reverb so the lack of it didnt bother me that much (ok, maybe a little). As far as getting decent sound at low volumes I ran a clean boost before it to push it a bit more, which helped for me.

That said, I did eventually get a CR120H which I absolutely love and have been using for 2 years now. I would've liked it to have had a mids EQ on the clean, but its not a major issue for me.

I haven't played it out yet, so it's never been past 4 on the master volume which is loud AF at home (I pretty much have the channel volumes dimed, though dirt channel volume is a little less to get better volume balance between both channels). I mostly use the clean channel for both actual clean and breakup using my clean boost and guitar volume, and the dirt channel for leads or extra crunch.

I'd love to compare it to the Orange Rockerverb valve amp which, IIRC, is what the Crush line of amps are based on. I think Dave Simpson did a comparison video a while back but eh, I'd rather hear the comparison in person.

The Micro Dark I still have and keep as a backup or as an easy grab-n-go for jamming with friends (pre-quarantine) when I don't feel like lugging the 120 or my Classic 30.

Have fun with your new amp!

6. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Congrats! I have a micro terror through a 2x12 as my main amp, I love it for my needs. I have a Crush 12 for practice - great little amp which does everything I need.

Really can’t beat the Orange tone tbh.

7. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Here's my Orange Tiny Terror. His Highs are really really yeowling, and his lows really rumble, clatter and rattle. You might say they purr. 20190805_173117.jpg At 15 lb, weight is not a problem.

tidalcast likes this.
  8. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Congrats

9. Dietcokedream

Dietcokedream TDPRI Member

I have the crush 20rt. No complaints at all! I have received compliments from peers on the quality of tone when sharing riffs/ideas through video, they had no idea what amp was behind it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.