NAD Orange Crush 35RT

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blackjaw, Dec 20, 2015.

1. jonyorker

jonyorker Tele-Meister

for me it's more of a downsize.

It's between the 20RT and the 35RT. I want an FX loop, but I also don't want to deal with keeping the amp at 1 for bedroom purposes.

2. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

I was in the same boat as you...I 'downsized' from my AC15 and AC4 to the 35RT...hahah....I know, it doesn't make much sense.

The 35RT is so much better at use of volume for bedside practice (look at my post earlier in the thread about that) and I felt that I had better control than my usual bedside tube amp (AC4C1).

Add in fantastic tones and the ability to use headphones and you have a winner.

Good luck, let me know if you have any other specifics my previous post didn't answer!

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Volume-

Yes, I use mine to gig. For small stuff, bistro/restaurant corner of the 30 seater barroom backing up a gal with an acoustic guitar, it's more than enough. At rehearsals and friendly jams, more than enough.

At larger gigs in real music venues-

I've had it at gigs in rooms with capacities up to 350. I still consider this a smaller room, but it's pretty big for most gigging club bands. In these rooms, there is house sound and everything is mic'd. The band I've been working for is me on electric, bass, drums, and a guy who plays acoustic, electric, mando, and harmonica. Stages are decent sized.

I don't need any of this amp in my monitor. It's fine as is. Bassist stands next to me and doesn't need it either. Drummer and other guitar guy get some in theirs but not a lot. It works great, and I get a lot of compliments. Soundmen have all said the same thing- that the amp cuts like nobody's business, but is not harsh or too bright at all. They all love it. Nearly everybody is surprised to find out it's SS.

As far as home use, I'm not as reliable a source on that, as I really don't plug in at home. I always practice unplugged. It's just a small place with a lot of people in it and neighbors attached to either side. It's not worth the potential trouble.

I can tell you that like a tube amp, it sounds it's best with some volume on it. I can tell you that unlike some tube amps it also sounds pretty stinkin' good down low. That's about as much help as I can offer.

4. luckett

luckett Banned

It's solid state, 35W at 1 on the volume is going to sound the same as 20W at a higher knob settting.

5. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

Been a member here for awhile, but never posted. Read Jakedog's rave about the Orange Crush 35RT and thought it might work well in stereo with my Atom Amps Metroliner(15 watt amp made with old B3 transformers and chassis by a guy in Gainesville Fl) with Tone Tubby red alnico. Wandered into nearest Guitar Center and there it was. A used 35RT for $149. Not a scratch on it. No box or manual. Sold. I love this amp going on a month now. I do hear the aforementioned wisp of fizz that another poster mentioned elsewhere, but only at ImageUploadedByTDPRI1450729999.406841.jpg very low volume. Anything over 9 o clock and it totally disappears. The gain channel is nice, but not as nice as what I got going into the clean channel. I wonder if it's a real wood cabinet? Thanks Señor Jakedog.

6. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

We all owe jakedog a beer

7. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I gave it a test run. It is what it is. A great cheap lightweight amp. Bang for the buck.

The clean channel sounded and felt good. Was it as good as a tube amp? It was different. It was good, but to my ears/hands it lacks the breath of tube amp.

If I had to drag an amp around town. I'd choose this over the blues junior or similar that weights a ton. Would I choose it over a Princeton. Probably not. Is it louder than a Princeton. No. Does it have more clean headroom than the princeton. Maybe?

The dirty channel on the other hand was not really my cup of tea. But definately useable.

All in all ... I'm not buying it now ... maybe at some point. If one turns up used then I probably be too tempted not to buy it.

At that price point it is a very fine amp. But it is what it is, so don't expect to more than that.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd take it over a Princeton, just so I wouldn't have to hear a Princeton! Lol. But we all know me and Fender amps don't get along.

No, it's not the second coming. But for under $300 for that combination of weight, size, and tone, I don't think it can be beat. Your comments on volume and headroom are interesting. I had a very healthy '69 Princeton several years ago, and it was useless. Not loud enough to gig with even jacked into a closed back 2x12 cab.

This little Orange fairly destroys that amp. FWIW- I thought when the Princeton was cranked, it had a real cool thing going on for a Fender. But it was impossible to hear in a band setting.

But this is an issue I've noticed that I have with all BF or SF Fender amps I've tried. I can't hear them in a live mix. I keep turning them up, and still can't get em in my ears. I can tell they're loud as hell, but I can't pick them out. I can run a Vox, Marshall, or Orange at 20% of the volume I need to hear a Fender amp in a live mix.

Other guitar player in the band I'm doing some work with recently has a Tone King Imperial. I can't hear what he's doing on the clean channel. It just disappears. When he switches to that Marshally voiced dirt channel I get every warm gooey note.

My ears just can't hear that scooped voicing thing. That may be why I think the Crush totally pummels a Princeton.

9. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Hehe ... but yeah we agree. At that price point it can't be beat :)

10. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

At that price point I also want one for work, a nice 20RT...keep it under a desk...haha.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.