NAD Orange Crush 35RT

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blackjaw, Dec 20, 2015.

1. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

Well, the Jakedog was right...this amp rules.

I've been playing around with this the past three days and I can confidently say that it is a keeper. I was looking for an amp to keep bedside that sounded decent at low volume (two kids under 2), sounded good in headphones, had a great clean channel for pedals and was loud enough to jam with friends without breaking my back dragging it around - this is the right amp for me.

The cleans are so good. The dirty channel makes me rethink having OD and Fuzz on my board..it gets dirty real quick and has such great character and color. But the best part (for me), for a SS amp, it takes both OD and Fuzz pedals so well. I stacked the dirty channel with my OD and Fuzz and it didn't sound like butt which I totally expected but was overly surprised when I almost blew the windows out from how heavy it was. I played my clean channel with my OD and Fuzz stacked and it sounded fantastic, every bit like my AC4C1 or AC15C1, the pedal retains the same characteristics and sound.

Using headphones, some AKG K240 Studio's, I have to say that the cabsim technology works, I'm a believer. It has 99.99% of what I think the amp would sound like if the headphones weren't in. I tried a bunch of amps with headphones and most sounded...off...but this amp (and the 20RT) nailed it.

The built in tuner is ok and will suffice if I need a quick tune and the built in reverb is surprisingly good for a digital reverb (even though I generally don't like reverb). I haven't played with the FX loop yet, not sure if I need to, but my kid likes plugging spare patch cables back there which makes the extra holes worth it. I do plan on building a clean/dirty footswitch eventually.

It doesn't have the warmth of tubes or the fun 'where does it breakup' factor, but its so damn hard to tell that this isn't a tube amp without being picky...Orange knocked this one out of the park. If you haven't tried one or are staying away from a SS amp, give it a try. I'm solely a solo/bedroom player, and I was skeptical when the Jakedog was talking about gigging it, but I see the possibilities...the amp is so good.

10/10, would buy it again if my two year old spilled milk on it.

PIC:

[​IMG]

Signal chain: Fender Classic 60's Telecaster--> TC Polytune mini, Walrus Harvester, Walrus Jupiter, OBNE Black Fountain, Mr Black Double Chorus, EQD Afterneath, TC Ditto-->Orange Crush 35RT

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice!! Glad you're digging it. I'm still loving mine!

3. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

It is such a great amp, glad you made that gigging post and turned me on to it.

Just finished an hour session plugged straight in no pedals, such great tone.

Thanks man!

4. buddhuu

buddhuu Tele-Meister

My Cr60C needs one of those to keep it company. As soon as Christmas is out of the way...

Attached Files:

5. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

I want one of those so bad but it's such overkill for what I do...haha.

What's the bridge pickup on that strat, looks different from the rest in that pic?

6. coolikedat99

coolikedat99 Tele-Meister

Love the one I picked up recently too, the clean channel cranked does sound great fyi.

7. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

My only complaint is the lack of an ext. speaker jack.

8. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

I love Orange amps, I own a tiny terror and it rocks. I played a CR120 at guitar center and really liked it too. Good stuff.

9. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

I was thinking that today while my two year old was plugging cables into various jacks, would've been one more for him

10. buddhuu

buddhuu Tele-Meister

Yeh. When I get a 35RT I'm going to wire in a speaker jack.

Have any of you guys looked to see what the speaker impedance is? The CR60C is 16 ohm.

11. buddhuu

buddhuu Tele-Meister

It's actually a cheap Artec ceramic pup! I've tried about a dozen humbuckers and P90s in that position, full size and single coil sized. I've tried rails, stacks, P94 clones, alnico V, alnico III... That cheap Artec (in that position on that guitar) just works great. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't soldered it in there myself! LOL.

The Strat is a Squier Classic Vibe 50s that has been modified so much that you'd probably need to do a DNA test to recognise it now. The other two pups, middle and neck, are actually the original ones that came on the axe. I've tried loads but always gone back to them. They are actually really nice, musical pickups.

12. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Congrats! and welcome to Orange!
    recent convert here, also!

13. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

So does it do that as intended. I love my Blues Junior, but fidgeting the master volume searching for that tiny spot around 1 on the dial where it isn't either totally silent or too loud is starting to annoy me.

14. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Love that amp. Eventually I'll have either this one or something even bigger. Got to get some pedals first.

Thanks for sharing, NAD rules!

15. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

Yes definitely, I was playing the clean channel between 10pm and noon with guitar volume around 30-50%, was perfect for bedroom playing. Both kids were taking a nap and my wife was watching Homeland in the living room, she didn't even know I was playing.

I also had success with my OD pedal in front of the amp for a but of grit; amp clean at 9pm, guitar around 50% and tweaking level and drive (had to drop out some bass).

It also sounds fantastic through decent headphones. The dirty channel got way loud way quick as gain was pushed but with headphones I cranked the amp and it sounded great....was able to get the dirty channel to about 3pm and gain to 3pm with guitar at 50% before it got too loud in my head. My crappy skull candy closed headphones sounded horrid (too much bass) but AKG K240 studios (flat response) sounded amazing.

I played with the 35RT/20Rt for about two weeks at GC tweaking and testing how quiet it could go while retaining tone and it won out over several other (more expensive) amps.

Replaced my Vox AC4C1 at my bedside. The AC4 was just so sensitive to volume changes and would go from nothing to something so quick (normal tube reaction like my AC15 or Pro JR that I play "loud") so I'm super confident this one isn't going anywhere.

16. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Cool thx Blackjaw. My local guitarpusher is open to 8 pm in these xmas times, so I think I'll drop by and check it out.

I love my Blues Junior, but it's too heavy to function as a portable amp and also quickly gets too loud for my apartment, so it'd be nice with something smaller. All I want is that it sounds good clean .. and if it can take my wamplers (velvet fuzz, tumnus, clarksdale) then that is a nice bonus :)

17. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

thank you for the review and thoughts on the 35rt. i've been considering getting rid of my backstair id15tvp for this amp. the backstar does sound good, but i like a more simple plug and play amp- without all the bells and whistles that i never use anyway.

18. jonyorker

jonyorker Tele-Meister

how loud is this amp compared to a blues deluxe reissue?

Both are in the same neighborhood of 40 watts (35 for the orange) is there a huge difference?

19. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

Yeah man, its worth a try. I brought my fuzz pedal along with me the first time I went to test the amp and was very surprised at how well they played together. I've never had good luck with fuzz on SS but the 35RT is a surprisingly capable amp. Orange knows what they are doing. The only pedal I'm disappointed in is my OBNE Black Fountain, it just doesn't have the warmth that it does on tube amps....might just be perceived, but it doesn't sound as dark as I remember.

My brother swears on Blackstar and I've had fun with a HT5. The nice thing that I'm finding about the 35RT is that I don't really need pedals, its great for just plugging and playing. I spent most of yesterday just playing around with headphones and the clean channel...with 3 band EQ on the amp I got a surprisingly good jazz sound for my horrible arpeggio practice...haha.

I'm sure there are more technical people here that could describe the power difference better, but the BDRI will be louder. With a 12" speaker and all those tubes (not sure how the SS side works in that amp).

I haven't A/B'd them but I feel that my Vox AC15C1 (sitting lonely in the garage) at 15 watts is slightly louder than the 35RT...also about 20 lbs heavier...haha. Now I haven't been home alone or taken this to the garage and pushed the 35RT to a point where it could compete, but I could never get the AC15 to play quietly.

I did have that one moment where I stacked both my drives and even with volume around 50% on both amp and guitar I felt the air and heard the windows rumble, so there is untapped potential there to get LOUD.

If you are concerned about gigging volume and if it could fill a venue, ask Jakedog. He has been using it as his gigging amp for a bit now and will have a better response to how it acts at volume in his practice/gigs!

For me, it has MORE than enough volume for my bedroom or recording and will fit well with my buddies whenever we jam (and two of them rock BJIII/PRRI...the 35RT will easily be able to keep up)

20. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I stopped at GC for five minutes last Tuesday morning as I drove between other stops and found they had a 35RT and it was quiet in there. While I went to grab the closest random rack guitar, an Epi Special, a cable, and tune it up ... a shredder 'kid' hopped on the monster twin 12inch Fender amp on the opposite side of the display gondola and cranked it up for the whole store to hear his muse. I couldn't hear anything on the 35RT at the low volumes I was interested in. The clean and dirty bits I did get to hear between the screeching shreds sounded great. I'll have to go back another day to do more than a cursory test.

One comment this amp 'failed' at: I really like amps with a single output volume knob that controls the whole unit output level. I get how to work the clean volume and separate pre-amp/post-amp gains as 'volume' but when you're reaching to turn something up/down it's not good to have to fumble for one or two of three possible choices.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.