NAD Musicman content.

ScottJPatrick

Friend of Leo's
Picked this up about a month ago but have been away for the last three weeks so didn't get a chance to try it properly. 1981 Musicman 112 RD50 in very clean condition. All original as far as I can tell, still has the green ink Sylvania 6L6's and the 12ax7 for the drive channel. I have been looking at these amps for quite a while so when the seller dropped the price on this one I jumped on it.

Clean channel nice with a very strong reverb, drive channel quite usable with the gain set low, might try a 5751 or lower output 12a*7 to see how it sounds. Will be using it next Sunday at a gig, certainly loud enough to handle anything I will ever need.

Attachments

• IMG_2104.JPG
    IMG_2104.JPG
    429.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2114.jpg
    IMG_2114.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2094.JPG
    IMG_2094.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2097.JPG
    IMG_2097.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 59

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
I played one for quite a few years and don’t believe I ever changed a thing on it. A very sturdy amp that’s loud & clean. It can put out some serious volume! I ran it into a 4x0 Sun cab for a couple outdoor sets but not sure I needed to. Enjoy!

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
Nice I have one of these- the reverb in mine is kind of weak but a pretty good sounding amp

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
I had two RD50 heads. One noisy and problematic, the other dead quiet and very strong. Sure should have kept number two. What was I thinking? These are such good amps.

Mowgli

Tele-Meister
Most RD-50 owners who speak out tend to have similar likes and dislikes about the amp. I share these opinions.

Great clean channel. Chet Atkins played one live for several years.

Distortion channel varies a good deal depending upon the version; the last revision made to the circuit (Rev. E?) supposedly sounds the best. You can modify your version to this last revision rather easily or have modifications done to this circuit; the Bill M and Walt Goforth mods have their endorsers. Check out the Music Man amp forum for schematics and information. Like TDPRI, a lot of helpful folks there, too.

Bright switch can be harsh but turning down the treble seems to help many users while slightly increasing the gain without sacrificing headroom.

A lot of people swap out the stock speaker for an EVM-12L. If you can find an Altec 417-8C or -8H that will probably make you very happy (it did me).

A lot of users employ a compressor when using the distortion channel. It really helps. I do this along with a klon clone +/- a Blackstone Appliance or Nobels ODR with low gain settings - great results, IMO.

It’s a real sleeper amp. Very versatile and great sounding. Congratulations!!

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Enjoy..I had one years ago. I like the non tube rectifier.
Heavy as heck as I recall.

joe_cpwe

Tele-Afflicted
I've owned two Music Man's, HD-130 head & RD-100 1x12, not at the same time. I liked both but moved on to other things. Very good amps. They're heavy and they have very good clean tones.
I've read these 50 watt combos are nice and would check one out for sure.
This one looks to be in very good shape, nice score.

ScottJPatrick

Friend of Leo's
I've owned two Music Man's, HD-130 head & RD-100 1x12, not at the same time. I liked both but moved on to other things. Very good amps. They're heavy and they have very good clean tones.
I've read these 50 watt combos are nice and would check one out for sure.
This one looks to be in very good shape, nice score.
One of the reasons that the 110RD and 112RD are so popular is that the 110 weighs 31.5lbs, the 112 weighs 32.5lbs, very manageable to carry, volume (loudness, not dimensions!) to weight ratio is very high!