NAD - Music Man 212 Sixty-Five

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Coop47, May 18, 2014.

1. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I think this is the one that pushes me from "having a large amp collection" to "crazy amp hoarder who has more gear than his chops justify" but I couldn't resist. It was a good deal and it was minutes from my house. Appears to be all stock in in decent condition. And it was the early series that I've had an eye on for years, with the 12ax7 phase inverter and the stock alnico speakers, not to mention a really cool tremolo effect that sounds a little like a Leslie when the intensity knob is turned past five. I'm still playing around with it and haven't really had a chance to crank it or try it with pedals, but I really like it so far. Not sure that it sounds as good as 72 Twin, but I'm surprised at how much lighter it is - it will almost certainly get out of the house more often.

Haven't been able to find a download of a manual yet - can anyone help me out?

Here's a hasty pic of it next to my '95 ASAT, the only guitar I've tried with it so far.
    [​IMG]

2. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Don't know about an actual manual, in PDF or any other form, but (in case you're not already aware of it) there's a wealth of information on the website http://www.pacair.com/mmamps. Or just type in www.musicmanamps.com.

I was underwhelmed with a 112 Sixty Five I once owned, but my 112RP100-EV is tremendous, though very heavy. Couple of Music Man threads on this forum.

3. Coop47

Thanks guys - found the schematic, websites and the threads that convinced me to pull the trigger, but no luck with a manual. I've found one old thread where a member offered to send one out to anyone who pm'd him, but haven't heard back. I'm hoping there might be a .pdfs floating around the current membership. Thanks!

4. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice score ad a cool amp.

Congrats.

I have the same problem also, more amps than my chops justify or actually need but you got to have a hobby, and I could think of more expensive ones.

5. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I'm jealous. I've got a couple 212 music man amps right now, but I will always want more.

If it is all stock, keep in mind it could certainly use a cap job. A decent cap job will run you $100 - $150 (a lot less if you can do it yourself) and will not devalue the amp in any way. You should also have that death cap removed...

6. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

It's pretty much like a Twin as far as operation goes.
    One main thing to look out for - the Hi-Lo power switch is more to do with how early it breaks up rather than how many watts it is putting out (which is what you might imagine) so if you want a clean sound always run it on Hi (even if you are playing at low volume).

Make sure you keep the Ohm switch on the correct setting - if you've got 2x8Ohm speakers, they will be wired as a 4Ohm pair.

I've got a couple of the 2x10 version and I love 'em.

7. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Tele-Meister

I have a 112 65RD that I bought new in 78/79 and after all these years I did not know that.
    Very useful piece of information. Thank you.

8. Coop47

Good info all - thanks. MrTwang's explanation about the Hi-Lo power switch is the reason I'd love to find a manual. There seem to be a bunch of little unexpected features on this like the tremolo-Leslie effect.

Codamedia - yes, I need to figure out if it still has the original caps. Where can I find out more info on the death cap?

9. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

10. Coop47

11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Congratulations!

That's great. I gigged two RD50's in the 80's.

Great amps.

12. codamedia

The death cap is the same as any other... so generic instructions would do. There is a 3 prong on the amp, but their is also a polarity switch. If you just disconnect the polarity switch that will disconnect the death cap as well. Just makes sure hot remains hot, and neutral remains neutral.

HI/LO... I'll expand on this a little. Like "MrTwang" said, the Hi/Lo is not a 1/2 power switch like a lot of people think, it works more like a "clean headroom" switch by changing the plate voltage on the amp.

HI: 700+ volts is sent to the plates of the tube. This allows the amp to produce clean headroom that never seems to end. Low volume or high volume the amp stays very clean. Break up is usually in the speakers, or your eardrums.

LO: 400+ volts is sent to the plates of the tubes which is more in line with Fender's and other amps. Nothing else gets changed with that switch, just the voltage.

In relationship to other amps, LO is normal, HI is unique to Music Man
    Since the bias remains constant think of the LO switch as "normal operation"... It operates very similar to other amps in that is breaks up a little easier and is a little warmer sounding. In HI mode it becomes a very "cold biased amp" - sort of. It is cold in relationship to the plate, but still normal in relationship to the grid. This feat of engineering is what makes the amp unique, and stay cleaner at higher volumes.

Bottom Line: If you want/need a never ending supply of clean headroom, make sure there is a decent set of tubes in the amp and use the HI switch. If you prefer the warmth and breakup similar to other amps, set it to LO. In either position, you have a great amp, IMO :)

13. Coop47

Fantastic info - thank you! The way Leo (I assume) designed that is fascinating, as is having "LO" as normal. That's exactly the quirky stuff I was looking for.

I haven't had the amp loud enough to really tell, but is it safe to assume the DEEP/NORMAL switch is for the Tremolo?

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to chime in!

14. codamedia

I don't believe so. DEEP/NORMAL affects the entire amp (both channels) and it is the last thing in the circuit before the power amp. I find that in the 70's models this switch is very subtle, but in later models this switch became much more noticeable. My '81 can get low end that is similar to a BF Twin, while my 70's model does not... it's a much tighter (mid-range) sound. Is the difference in design change or component drift? I don't know for sure.

15. Coop47

This makes perfect sense in terms of what I was (or wasn't) hearing, and probably would have driven me crazy over time trying to figure it out. Thanks!

16. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Don't recall how the switches are configured on the Sixty Five, but on the RP100 the Deep and Bright switches work in opposite ways. By this I mean that the Deep switch is in "normal" mode when on and when it's off it restricts the bottom end, I think by engaging a high pass filter. On the other hand the Bright switch is in "normal" mode when off and when it's switched on it engages a bright cap, which is actually a bit drastic in its effect. I usually work in what I see as the "default" position, i.e. Deep on, Bright off.

I agree that the mid-'70s 112 Sixty Five I owned for a while had very little tonal variation available and nowhere near the bottom end capability of the RP100, which, with its EV speaker, I was once able in a pinch to use on a gig for bass with a reasonable sound and no ill-effects.

17. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Tele-Meister

I acquired a 115HD130 recently. It is old style with a tube phase inverter and vibrato instead of that wonky phaser dealio. It's a very nice amp, seriously loud and bright, and Music Man amps are a bargain these days.

18. codamedia

Absolutely correct... The DEEP Switch is cutting when in the normal position... To hear the amp in full glory it should be set to DEEP. The Bright switch works opposite, as you stated.

19. telesteel

telesteel TDPRI Member

The HD-130 Owner's Manual says this about the Deep switch:

"The Deep switch extends the range of the bass control. It's primary function is to cut the bass response when playing at extremely high levels. This means extra punch at high volume without the speakers bottoming or becoming mushy."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.