NAD Muchxs 5E3D

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rghill, Jul 20, 2019.

1. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Idk about a 911, but my type II fastback was the most nimble v-dub I ever drove.

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Got a "someday" Squareback already.

Like building amps, it's a balancing act. How much is enough? How much is too much? How much can we stay from our comfort zone and still be comfortable?

The cool thing about a Type 3, a Ghia or a Bus for that matter is there is enough room for a Subaru motor. It takes a little trimming to clear the valve covers. Some trimming in a Bug compromises the bumper housings. The bumper housings are weak enough to begin with...

If a Subaru motors fits, a turbocharged Subaru motor fits, too. That means 300 horsepower is within reach.

But...

The adapter kit costs $500.

Megasquirt aftermarket engine controls cost another $1000. They still need to be programmed and tuned.

Somewhere beyond the 200 horsepower level we have a parts breaker. The transmission and axles need to be upgraded. Speaking of Porsche, Porsche 930 axles and CV joints can be adapted but it all costs substantial coin.

The sky is the limit for a "built" transmission.

The primary assets of an old VW are they're simple, reliable and inexpensive. Start screwing around, that all goes away.

Build some mutt only a mother can love, we suck the value out of it.

Building something unique on a budget with parts I already own is fun. A complicated and expensive project... not so much.

Had a 412 wagon. Those are related to the Porsche 914. It's not really a Porsche. It's a VW with a Porsche badge on it.

Again, we trade the familiar and comfortable for the less familiar. For me that's less comfortable. Chasing down unobtainable 411 / 412 parts skews the fun to money ratio. More dough, less fun.

Re: My defunct Java green '67 Bug:

That wouldn't play for me in a 911. A 911 might have worked better on The Toll Road up and down the mountain. It wouldn't feel the same.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  3. muchxs

David does a G.G. Allin about two minutes in. Except if he was G.G. he'd whack himself with the mic.

You may ask yourself

"WT(H) do old Volksie Bugs have to do with Telecasters?"

It's like this:

The Telecaster is the Volkswagen Beetle of guitars.

The Volkswagen Bug is the Telecaster of automobiles. It pre- dates the Telecaster by ten years.

BobbyZ likes this.
  4. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

I was actually posting that tongue-in-cheek. I was more noting the rear-engine layout and that earlier 911 / 356s weren't that powerful. But they operated as a unit well regardless.

muchxs likes this.
  5. muchxs

Oh.

Then you need these guys:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :) :) :) :D :D :D ;) ;) ;) :p :p :p

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: o_O o_O o_O :cool: :cool: :cool:

I was listening to a blurb on NPR yesterday. They claim people who use emojis / emoticons enjoy more vibrant and prolific sex lives.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D etc., etc..

"Hope springs eternal..."

:lol:

BobbyZ likes this.
  6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Tweed era: :)

[​IMG]

----------------------

Blackface era: :D

[​IMG]

--------------------

Silverface era: :cool:

[​IMG]

-------------

Cybertwin/Tonemaster era: :rolleyes: :(:cry:

[​IMG]

BobbyZ and muchxs like this.
  7. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Every May, in Hannover, about 20 miles from where I am, around 3500 VW's gather at the maikäfertreffen (may beetle meet).
    upload_2019-9-3_21-15-50.png

The Bullie meet in april 2008 had over 5000 busses there.

upload_2019-9-3_21-19-26.png If any TDPRI regulars care to come over to join us there next may, let me know, and I'll buy you a beer.

BobbyZ, muchxs and Bob Arbogast like this.
  8. muchxs

SCXD Fake Bug Equals Fake Amp era.

Ooh, I'm so negative. :rolleyes:

BobbyZ and Whatizitman like this.
  9. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I remember an episode of "Garage Squad" where they re-built a mid-70's Beetle. They did some engine upgrade, and got around 90 HP out of one. That extra power probably made that car a ton of fun; I bet it even felt a bit quick.

10. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I had one just like this in 1971 except it was blue.

Whatizitman likes this.
  11. akuster777

akuster777 TDPRI Member

for @muchxs: what's your philosophy about tubes for your upgraded 5e3? dumble's tweedle dee specimen used a gz34 rectifier and 12ax7 in V1.

I've got some good sounds using nos 5y3 and 12ay7 for V1 in my two clone builds...

12. muchxs

Stock 5E3s are allergic to gain. They need a 12AY7 in V1.

The Tweedle has two 12AX7s. The paradox is a Tweedle will play louder while staying cleaner than a stock Deluxe.

My (now Evolution Three) has more gain, still.

Dumble made a few relatively low buck parts choices such as a Celestion Rocket speaker and JJ 6V6s. Use a GZ34 in a 5E3, your B+ goes over 400v. JJs are one way to cope with the elevated voltage.

Many of today's engineers weren't alive when the Soviets attempted to bootleg the Tung_Sol 5881 tube. The 5881 had widespread military and aerospace applications as did the European KT66. Real '50s Tung Sol 5881s will burn for 10,000 reliable hours and maybe even be ready for more. The Soviet 6P3S (bootleg 5881) was good for maybe 1000 hours. The idea wasn't to keep up with the West, the idea was to exceed the West. Except that wasn't happenin'. What to do?

Tell ya what they did:

The regular old 6P3S will operate for 1000 hours at roughly the same conditions as an old 5881, 375v supply, keep the dissipation reasonable...

The "upgraded" 6P3S-E will operate for 5000 hours as long as you keep the supply voltage down around 300v.

akuster777 likes this.
  13. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.