NAD Muchxs 5E3D

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rghill, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

OK, so the thread had to go and include two of my three favorite things. Tube amps and old VWs. No mention of tacos, though.

I think the giveaway for ‘66 would be the deck lid, no? Was last year for the raised nose, wide light cover, and had 1300 badge. I couldn’t tell on the movie preview.

[​IMG]

gridlock, BobbyZ and Wally like this.
  2. AndreDanican

AndreDanican Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

‘Here I come minding my own business. Next thing I know I have a Doberman chewing on each of my legs. We all went flying off the road, me, the bike and two Dobermans.’”

I had a similar experience age 12, fortunately only one dog (German Shepherd mix). I kicked him hard in the head and rode like mad. Don’t like dogs, either.

3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Walking to elementary school in the back lane a dog comes charging at me, jumped up and landed on the rail of a picket fence. No idea how I managed to land on the rail on the other side of the boards or balance and not fall into the yard. VW's, had one on the 'farm' which my brother and I learned how to drive when we were 10-12. It was unsafe to drive on the roads, should be fine for the kids to play with. Rusted out floorboards and barely any brakes left. Not that we used them much, barrelling down a road between feilds and then drifted sideways till the tires caught on the grass field, across to the other side then spun it around and doubled back. My cousin was down once, let him take it for a spin. I guess he expected brakes, plowed into a tree. Yanked the bumper out with a chain and a little muscle power for the fender, good as new.

4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

You have just redeemed yourself, son.

Had a life changing event about 20 years ago. All my VWs went out to pasture. Still got 'em, restoration work went on my Bucket List. That includes my previously rust free '69 imported from SoCal, my '68, '70 and '71 convertibles, my '70 Square and oh WTH let's get to the good stuff... my two ovals one of them a sunroof, couple '62s one that came over bootlegged in a military transport from Turkey... not sure how the previous owner pulled that one off but it came in through MOTBY. Previous owner hadn't considered that all the paperwork was in Turkish and printed on what seems to be cigarette paper. That makes getting a title at the City Line DMV in Jersey City a bit of a challenge. Lady I called The Wicked Witch of the East used to run the place. She was one of those misguided public servants who figured it was her civic duty to give all applicants the runaround and make absolutely certain no paperwork ever got past her.

I want to get another '67 together although a '65- '66 body on a '66 or '67 pan would do. Hassle is the doors tend to pop open on the earlier cars when you thrash 'em. I want to weld in IRS conversion brackets in the back because I have 1 1/2 Things in big chunks. I'm thinkin' Thing suspension and transmission with one of the two dozen or so dual ports I have kickin' around. I don't want it to be full boogie Class 11, say half or three quarters of the way there. It still needs to do the speed limit travelling I-95 up and down the coast.

… except in Jersey. Don't need to go any more than 35 on The Jersey Turnpike and you'll pay dearly in tolls.

Jersey joke: Why do they drive outta the driveway and go park on the Parkway? You'd understand if you lived in New Jersey.

They should change the license plate. "The Brake Lights State"... :lol:

Speed limit is an unattainable arbitrary number through Baltimore most of the time as well.

D.C. Beltway? Fuggetaboudit. Might as well go a little further west and take I-81.

Bro drove a Zambezi green Squareback when he attended Wesleyan in Buchanan years ago. He was pretty well connected with the West Virginia aircooled scene at the time.

Tacos are o.k. if there are a lot of 'em. I'll take a Veracruzana shredded chicken burrito thank you very much soaked with salsa from their salsa bar. They turn out a burrito the size of a Bassett hound for around six bucks. I try to save 1/3 of it which becomes a breakfast burrito with sour cream and Pace's the next morning.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Whatizitman likes this.
  5. muchxs

Funny thing is I stop for dogs when I'm on motorcycle.

I don't know if I'm going to ride anymore. I don't bounce as well as I used to, more like I go down with a sickening thud like a big ol' sack o' poo.

I'm probably going to divest of most of my old Triumphs. Buy more amp parts. I'll probably keep my '67 and my '72 T100s. Got a '70 650 Trophy in big chunks. Every one needs a hobby! Betcha I never get that one back together.

My numbers match '70 Trophy is just about ready to go. Gonna convert that one into green foldable.

Anyway, I bought about a dozen pairs of East German Border Patrol boots when they came on the surplus market years ago. They go most of the way up to my knees. Bite that, you canine SOB!

Thing is most dogs who run cars and motorcycles haven't thought it through. They come raging off the porch or off the lawn all full of piss and vinegar. I grab four fingers of front brake and clamp on the rear. Stop in my tracks. Dog usually gets all confused. It's like they're thinkin', "Day- um! I never caught one! What am I supposed to do now?"

I start talkin' to 'em in my best puppy dog baby talk. They usually turn around and go lay down on the porch. At worst they approach tail down and give me an inquisitive sniff. Then they turn around and go lay down on the porch.

6. muchxs

I near put the '67 on its head. Bro and his then- wifey were haying. I came rattling across the field catching as much air as I could off the terrain. Pulled a Dukes of Hazzard style bootleg on a side hill when I got there. Note to self: Observe lessons learned about the fall line on the ski mountain. Don't do anything stupid if you're on four wheels perpendicular to the fall line...

Went half a dozen times end over end in one I had just finished for a buddy. Not round and round, we're talkin' over and over. He was driving. We got into a patch of black ice. We went up the bank backwards and came back over the road airborne. He went to the hospital with broken ribs. I drove the torn up car home. Turns out I had a pretty nasty concussion.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Well, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. I haven't had any old VWs in my life for going on 20 years now. When it comes to VWs, I am even more of a poseur than I am at guitar and working on amps and pedals, if that's possible.

My last was a '71 bus I loved dearly. Fit my old JMP and cab and a PA great. But life and circumstances were always in the way of doing any serious work on it. Suffice to say my knowledge is largely, uh, academic. Career and education choices, moves, kiddos, school debt, smart wife, lack of tools, place to work/storage, etc... have kept me from indulging that fetish. Trying to figure out and work on amps is much less of a potential money pit. It's been a far more reasonable mid-life crisis venture.

I grew up in SoCAL, so I have a very special place in my heart for bajas/5ers/11s. A thing front end and tranny should get you down the road with somewhat taller tires without too much issue, I would think.

That a place in NJ? Will have to try it if I ever get out that way.

8. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Given that like 3% of Americans grew up on farms, is it weird that so many of us on TDPRI did?

Or maybe it’s just mostly farm kids who like to reminisce about dogs, old cars, motorcycles, and all the dumb ways you can get hurt growing up in the country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. muchxs

"It didn't matter. You could do that then."

When your '71 chucked its Number Three connecting rod through the case you'd just roll to a stop, get out and stick your thumb out. It was only a matter of minutes before another hippy rolled up in another bus.

Bro picked up a hitchhiker on I-95 up in Maine. Bro isn't as outgoing as I am so there was about twenty minutes of somewhat tense silence. Finally, the hitchhiker turned to Bro and asked,

"Aren't you worried I might be a psychopath?"

Bro replied,

"Nah. What are the chances of two mass murderers arbitrarily ending up in the came car?"

:lol:

Veracruzana is on the main drag in Northampton, Massachusetts. It's kinda snoozy for most of the day and into the early evening. It really comes alive late in the evening.

There's a new Mexi place across the street next to the building that used to house the Words and Pictures Museum. Kevin Eastman "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'" creator founded the museum. It was a four story comic book museum with a comic book store on the first floor. I bought a lotta first wave DC Vertigo over there.

The place is right at one end of the crosswalk. It's brick painted white. If you look closely the gargoyles are Ninja Turtles.

Best part of growing up on a farm... I know BS when I see it. ;)

Try to get your head around this: I grew up in NYC. I grew up on a farm in Vermont. Both are true.

Whatizitman likes this.
  10. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I used farm in quotes, we grew up in the less affluent part of the city, mainly immigrants from after the war. My parents had 80 acres which was half bush and mosquitoes, part grain farmed by the neighbor, we had a few fields of potatoes (thirty sacks will get us through till spring) and vegetables. Sold some for a few extra bucks. Never went to the beach, our city friends barely got out of the city and the once when we brought them to the farm they found it was work. So don't know too much of full scale farming although the next door neighbor had a mixed farm with hogs and cows. We slaughtered a few pigs, had rabbits, pigeons, yummy. On a tractor the same time as in the bug, plowed the fields or cut the grass with them.

Why a few of us who have some farming experience mess with electronics? The farming mentality. It's broke, better figure out how to fix it. I was in my mid teens when I figured out that most people didn't fix or build their own stuff. The idea that, if someone else can do it maybe I can also.

11. muchxs

We were hippies. We'd cut around five acres of hay with a scythe, gather it with a bull rake and put it in loose.

We put in around twelve cords of firewood every year. At least we had a chainsaw!

I got pretty good at busting wood up with a five pound axe.

My mother used to send me off to school with what would be called brioche these days. I frequently ate little pizzas made on home made bread with home made cheese made from milk from the family cow. They were made with home made tomato sauce made from home grown tomatoes from our garden.

I craved cheese doodles and potato chips...

I can tell you what any type of livestock looks like inside and out.

We raised hogs. We butchered hogs. We cured and smoked hams and bacon. We put up endless crocks of salt pork. Any fat that didn't become salt pork was rendered for lard.

The Amish are moving in where I moved out. The Amish like large tracts of inexpensive farmland. They like dirt roads, they're easier on the horses. They enjoy a lot less traffic compared to Ohio or Pennsylvania, also easier on the horses.

Bro and I had a discussion of the DIY movement as it relates to our area. If we exist within a permanently dysfunctional economy we repair rather than replace. We can pay someone to screw something up for us or we can screw it up ourselves for free.

1955 and BobbyZ like this.
  12. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Another one...

Have a MuchXS Seafoam Champ with a Jensen 6x9...scored off CL...THANK YOU for making this great amp.

Also had VW's and started "officially" driving at 14...numerous bugs, a couple sq backs, 311 type II, couple of micro buses, a ghia and thing. Wish I still had these v-dubs.

In my youth we tried to jump terraces in a beat up old pickup that was used for spraying weeds...there were no doors nor seat belts. One day while trying to catch some air, we had not thought that the terrace might have a wet spot...doh...the front end sunk in and we went flying. Had to walk back to the equipment shed, get a tractor and pull the truck out of the mud. My friend's dad just laughed and said "I guess you'all had some learning today."

Grew up in a small town of 118 souls in Nebraska and started working on farms at age 12...gardens, chickens, rabbits, cattle, hogs, dairy, dryland and irrigated crops. Had to lean to be a jack of all trades and fix things cause there was no place to take things to get fixed.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  13. muchxs

We use to sharecrop hay with our school principal. He ran a 40 head dairy farm, common in those days. He'd milk his ladies, shower and head off to school. He was the principal. He taught seventh and eighth grades. He went home every night and milked his cows. Got up every morning and milked 'em again.

His boys thrashed his hay truck. Broke the motor and transmission mounts. Kissed the radiator with the fan. We spent the rest of the summer chasing an overheating problem in that truck.

We have a few things here that are a little thin on the ground out west. We have natural rainfall. Blew my mind when I went out west and found out y'all need to irrigate hay.

As far as land use goes I seen some (excrement) but I never seen no (excrement) like this (excrement).

The Queen offers her testimony:

Way I figure it we should use our natural rainfall here and send the hay where they need to irrigate. Hell, we mow the median of I-89, I-91 and I-93. We should round bail it, load it on the (nearly extinct) railroad and send it to El Paso.

Turns out natural ice lasts longer than machine made. Something about oxygen content. Savvy commercial fisherman are using natural pond ice to go out further and stay out longer.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    BobbyZ likes this.
  14. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is not my one in the photo, sadly, but the identical model and paint job as the one we had for many years......untill some nutter shot out into the round-about where we were, smashing into our rear corner, and sending us spinning off the road and down into a deep ditch.
    upload_2019-8-31_16-28-52.png

replaced it with city camouflage....
    upload_2019-8-31_16-32-10.png

but that one has also since died:(

Whatizitman likes this.
  15. muchxs

Nest time you wreck one stick it in a container and send it over here.

I met my last girlfriend at a swap meet. She was passing around pictures of a'64 Beetle that looked like it got dropped out of a C-130. The roof was smashed down to the top of the (low back) seat backs.

I thought she was kinda cute. Her friend was kinda cute too in a different way.

I said,

"I can fix that!"

And I did. I cut off the mashed roof and welded on another one.

Yup. I fixed her Bug. I fixed her friend's Bug, too.

;) ;) ;)

Paul G. and Bendyha like this.
  16. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My VW stories are less dramatic, but fun.

Christmas vacation - 1967, family Buick Special station wagon in central Florida. My brother and I had opportunity to cruise while both parents and grandad played golf.

We were joined by one of grandad's neighbors, Henry. As we approached an elevated railroad crossing, Henry said, "Hit it." I pulled the shift lever into L and floored it. We crested the track at about 50 mph and found ourselves about 10 feet in the air. We landed on flat ground and the car bounced a little sideways; brother and I were wearing our seatbelts, but Henry was not - he bruised his head. The car was driveable, so we went back to grandad's.

On the drive back to Memphis, we noticed a bit of clunking noise under acceleration. The car tracked a little sideways on iced bridges in Mississippi. We began to hear a little squeaking noise.

Dad took it to our local shop and they found that the motor mounts were broken and chassis had bent - causing the U-joints to make noise from this misalignment.

The U-joints and motor mounts were fixed, Dad had it detailed and we took it to the local Chrysler dealer. It was raining that day (best time to sell/trade a car). We got "book value" on the trade-in", boy, was I relieved! The parents were in the Buick and I drove the '66 Bug in case they needed a ride home. They were given a dealer car, so I drove the VW home alone. On the way, as I was cruising through the subdivision, I went into an S-curve a little faster than was prudent for a wet road. AS soon as I touched the clutch to downshift to 3rd, the tail came around - and I thought "2 cars in one month !". I was lucky, and with my fut still on the clutch, I wound up rolling backwards in the opposite lane. I braked, thanked my lucky stars, and U-turned then drove very carefully the rest of the way home.

The second was similar. High school graduation night. I had new girlfriend and managed to sneak some rum into the graduation party. Driving off to a spot that I thought would be a good place for more conversation, I found myself entering a curve a little too fast for a wet road. Once again, as soon as I touched the clutch to downshift, the back end passed the front. I was lucky again and didn't hit anything. U-turn and continue.

17. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

My father had a Karmann Ghia that was rear ended by a Semi while he was on US 1 near Linden, NJ in the early 70s. I can't remember if it was blue or yellow since the replacement he got was another Karmann Ghia. To make a long story short, many tears later I 'm living in Vermont and guess who had bought the wrecked car and still had it? That's right.

18. muchxs

Hey, waidaminnit!

I had one of those, too.

Mine was a '64 I bought at Twin City Auto Wreckers in Bayonne. People used to line up on Saturday to junk their cars usually vehicles that wouldn't pass Jersey smog inspection.

We have plenty of clean air here in New England.

That Buick was a classic already. Hassle is cast iron valve seats and unleaded gas equals valves that sink into their seats and wobble in their guides. Wobbly guides means it's gonna burn oil and BTW, that thread on Bad Dog about cleaning engines? These things used to wheeze oil vapor, blow oil mist and generally drool from anything that had fluid behind it. If you wanna find your motor under all that grunge you best wash it now and then.

My Buick was a '64 four door. Paid $50 out in the street in front of Twin City 'cuz that's what Twin City paid for hoopdees. Jersey had a $5 non- resident 30 day temporary plate if I could ever get one outta The Wicked Witch of the East. That means I'd have a car for 30 days for $55. Cheaper than Hertz. Cheaper than Avis. Cheaper than Thrifty. :cool:

I have another '64 Buick Special in my sights up north. It's another four door with around 70k original on it. No rust. Guy will take $1500 if I can scrape it together. If I get it I'm going to stick skinny 15" Chevy rally wheels on it so I can use Toyota Corolla take- off tires instead of the original 14" tires. Might swap in a later V6 from an '80s Buick so I can run unleaded gas, stick the numbers match motor on a pallet in the garage. Or maybe a Quad 4 from an SUV...

My NYC hoopdee was a '67 Belair four door, the original hoodride. Patina is big today. I should have kept that car. It had a million dollars worth of patina.

And rust. And dents. Its soggy cloth interior made it a rolling botanical garden.

I grew mushrooms in its footwells.

I never used to lock it. The garbage men moved it if it was in their way. They'd push it hallway down the block with the garbage truck.

Bums used to sleep on its expansive cloth seats. I'd shoo them away before driving home after work.

The statute has run out so the story can be told... I drove my crew up to the subway station under 666 Fifth Avenue after work several times. Drove through the building on its terrazzo pedestrian promenade.

I'd probably get a beat- down from Homeland Security if I tried that stunt today. :rolleyes:

I should have kept that one. That one went to Nova Scotia twenty years ago. It was stored under the pine trees at Screw's place, that's the legendary Screwloose aka Adam. Zook goes almost as far back with Adam as me 'n' Zook. We go almost all the way back, yet another Brother From Another Mother who was nearby, unseen on a parallel path most of my life. That's until relatively recently, anyway.

I can get another Ghia body and chassis, one that isn't bent. I figure it would be a hoot to put that one together with reduction box axles out of a '61 (or so) Bus and again, a lifted Baja style front suspension. A Baja Ghia would be rolling performance art. Not exactly original but who cares?

BajaGhia.png

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    gridlock and Whatizitman like this.
  19. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Love Karmann Ghia’s, that one is so cool.

20. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

A bit of fuel for the fire - how about a VW Type 3 Fastback?
    If you bump up the power some, it should be much like an old 911, no?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.