NAD Mesa Electra Dyne

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
Hi all,

After having owned one briefly years ago, I couldn't resist after seeing this offered.
When I first had it, it didn't fit the band's sound, but I always remembered the fat clean sound.
The reverb tank was damaged, as per the amp tech, but the seller paid for the repair, so, happy camper now 🙂
Huge clean sound, can get into BF territory but is much more fat and more compressed. I'd say more Dumble style, but I never owned one, so, I won't say it.
Works unbelievable good with a Barber Burn Unit in the Clean channel, and can get classic Marshall sounds in the Blue and Red Channel, when boosted with a Tube Factor.
Lots of sounds available, big, heavy and loud,but sounds best in 90W setting, imho .
The last guitar I built seems to be a perfect match for this amp.
Cabinet ist a 1960 AX with ET65 speakers, which also seem to match the amp very nicely.
IMG_20220527_195943.jpg

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Score!! I haven’t had the pleasure to play one, but I’ve seen some impressive videos. And I know there’s a bunch of guitarists online that still lament Mesa discontinuing production of the ‘Dyne.

Congrats on your good fortune.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
That’s a good looking amp and cab. I’ve read good things about the Electradyne. I know that I enjoy using my Mesa Mark III.

Congratulations and enjoy.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Hi all,

After having owned one briefly years ago, I couldn't resist after seeing this offered.
When I first had it, it didn't fit the band's sound, but I always remembered the fat clean sound.
The reverb tank was damaged, as per the amp tech, but the seller paid for the repair, so, happy camper now 🙂
Huge clean sound, can get into BF territory but is much more fat and more compressed. I'd say more Dumble style, but I never owned one, so, I won't say it.
Works unbelievable good with a Barber Burn Unit in the Clean channel, and can get classic Marshall sounds in the Blue and Red Channel, when boosted with a Tube Factor.
Lots of sounds available, big, heavy and loud,but sounds best in 90W setting, imho .
The last guitar I built seems to be a perfect match for this amp.
Cabinet ist a 1960 AX with ET65 speakers, which also seem to match the amp very nicely.
View attachment 987582
What is that guitar!

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
Wait a minute… is that a suit of armor behind the amp!?
Good eye! Yes, it is. It's maybe a little weird to have it, but I have been a fan of 15th century art since I was a kid, and I was always amazed by the lines and forms of armours,and how they were made back then. I am not so interested in warfare and usage of the things, but the object as an artpiece amazes me still.
That one is a Milanese style armour with a kind of Uccello type Armet. The different parts are from different decades of the 15th century style, a combination of things I like the look of. Not historically accurate in the combination of pieces, and not made to historical standards,but made from the same material and fully usable, if wanted 🙂

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
The Electra Dyne seems to have been published at maybe not the best time and hasn't been properly advertised, for what it is, I think.
It is not a high gain amp. You can get into VH 1 territory, but not more than that.
The amp is a one channel amp with 3 modes and afair stacked EQ Potis. So, you can use it as a basis for pedals by just using the clean channel and max the master volume out, Volume to taste. That channel alone can get a variety of sounds by using especially the mid poti. Very powerful!
You can also use it with higher gain settings as a Rock'n'Roll amp with a crunch sound and a higher gain sound for perfect classic rock sounds. Put in a boost and you can get 80s hot rod sounds.
You can also use it as an amp with 3 sounds, if you compromise on the gain setting. Then you can get a really fat and ballsy clean sound, a Plexi kind of crunch, and a JCM800 kind of higher gain sound. With the clean trim poti on the back, it works surprisingly good (the first amps didn't have that). I I have a Victory Sheriff 44 and that is basically a Plexi and a jcm in one head, and the Electra Dyne is a lot like that, but with a very very good clean sound and reverb on top. And it sounds more refined, not as grainy as a Marshall.
You can also adjust on which sound modes you want reverb, e.g. on the clean and higher gain but not in the crunch sound. Cool feature.

All in all I'd say, it's a Mesa for people who don't like Mesa. It is not a liquid gain or metal amp. I guess, that is, why it wasn't that popular, nobody knew back then what to make of it.

The clean channel alone is imho worth the acquisition. And with a good boost it can be quite the traditional Rock'n'Roll machine.