NAD - Mesa Boogie Tone Machine

T-Bone

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
My first Mesa Boogie amp. A Mark 5:25 10”. An expensive little bugger, but holy cow! This guy can give me any and every tone I’ve ever wanted. Add to that, it’s only 24 pounds, has a DI, two channels, EQ, and reverb. I can use it for home practice. Grab and go for open mic and blues jams. Loud enough for most small venues and can be used as a personal stage monitor while going out to the board via the DI. I’ve already dialled channel 1 in for lap steel with lots of clean headroom, and channel 2 in for edge-of-distortion blues harp. Channel 2 also works well as an overdriven sound for guitar using the blues harp settings.

C5D4654D-216E-46E8-AA4F-6287A9AD3511.jpeg
88290128-F530-4CD8-B8E9-AC8D869A545F.jpeg

Shown here next to my Princeton Reverb and on top of a 10” Greenback equipped cab, set up as a mini stack.

superjam144

Tele-Afflicted
My first Mesa Boogie amp. A Mark 5:25 10”. An expensive little bugger, but holy cow! This guy can give me any and every tone I’ve ever wanted. Add to that, it’s only 24 pounds, has a DI, two channels, EQ, and reverb. I can use it for home practice. Grab and go for open mic and blues jams. Loud enough for most small venues and can be used as a personal stage monitor while going out to the board via the DI. I’ve already dialled channel 1 in for lap steel with lots of clean headroom, and channel 2 in for edge-of-distortion blues harp. Channel 2 also works well as an overdriven sound for guitar using the blues harp settings.

View attachment 912042 View attachment 912043

Shown here next to my Princeton Reverb and on top of a 10” Greenback equipped cab, set up as a mini stack.

How is it compared to the Princeton?

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic
24 pounds - Nice!! I love my Mark IV and Mark IV but the weight means I likely won't be hauling them out of the house much anymore and has had me experimenting with other lighter amp combos and head/cab combos.

Tyuk

Tele-Meister
I bought the head version at the beginning of the year and no regrets! Great amp for any genre.

T-Bone

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
How is it compared to the Princeton?

The Mesa can get most Princeton sounds, but not vice versa. That being said, I can get Princeton sounds from the Princeton without touching a single knob!

They are very different beasts, which is why I’m keeping both. In many ways I prefer the simplicity of the PRRI but the Mesa is smaller, lighter, AND is capable of providing so many more tonal possibilities.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Congrats! I love mine — I consider it the ultimate “grab-n-go” amp.

Wait until you try using the clean channel for leads (Crunch) and the lead channel for Dumble-ish edge of breakup (Extreme). There are a lot of settings to explore and (thankfully) some people who post their discoveries for the impatient (like me).

Lef T

Tele-Holic
Nice little combo.
I'd love to try one.
The Extreme setting can be a really nice setting.
Set the gain low and the master high.
A nice,liquidy gain.
I haven't tried that on your amp,but I loved it on my full size MKV.
That combo is small enough to carry that you could add a 1x12 Mesa cab for larger gigs and it wouldn't be too much to haul around.
Play on now.