NAD: Mesa Boogie Rectoverb 50

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rojo412, Aug 5, 2021.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

In a relatively short time (and for reasons even I'm not sure of), I've run my way through a number of amps in search of the one. I'm barely even capable of being defined as a guitarist (a bassist who wants more to keep me occupied), so it was kind of odd that I ended up here... but the heart wants what it wants!

IMG_9978.jpg
    IMG_9981.jpg

This whole journey started with me wanting a small guitar combo to noodle around on. The sound in my head was that high gain beefiness from the 90s and 00s, and I figured I may be able to find it with something lesser. Starting with lower wattage amps and messing with attenuators was fun, but didn't get me there. I even started dabbling in the vicious habit that is pedals... but nothing seemed to scratch the itch just right.

I'd played a VHT Pittbull 45 combo years ago and loved it, that was a benchmark in my head. But the search for one to try nowadays was coming up with nothing. An amp expert friend of mine said that the sound I wanted was likely a Mesa Boogie Recitfier amp of some sort. And searching through "what amp was played on _______" kept yielding the result of "Mesa Boogie Dual Rec".
    As cool as that would be, I was not ready to go the whole hog on a 100w head and cab.
    He pointed this one out to me and it was semi local. Worst case, I go try it and it wasn't quite what I want, right?

Well... I think it's what I've been chasing. Immediately, I knew it. The sound is there, the controls work very well for me, it honestly feels and sounds like an amazing amp, even for a hack such as myself.
    What a fun way to blow my original budget WAY out of the water!

True, it's bigger and heavier than I was initially looking for. And I can barely see these knob settings with this style of knob. But I could use the exercise, I don't play out with it and will likely only go to jams infrequently at this point. And I can swap out knobs for something my failing eyes can see better OR learn to adjust them with my ears instead of my eyes. Either is a reasonably simple fix (if you don't mind changing 17 knobs, that is).

But yeah, this thing may be the amp I've been wishing for since forever. So many tonal options at my fingertips. I'll likely need to start keeping track of particular settings because a lot of them sound incredible.

2. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Cool, I always really wanted one of these in my younger days. Was a big high gain guy as a teen.

Still have a special place in my heart for them though I’ve moved on.

Enjoy that beast!

rojo412 likes this.
  3. kookaburra

kookaburra Friend of Leo's

Very nice, very quality. It's always good to find that "sound in your head".

Enjoy!

rojo412 likes this.
  4. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

There is no substitute for a Mesa. Congrats on your acquisition!

Zoso420 likes this.
  5. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

Nice I love my Mesa mkV 90w

kafka likes this.
  6. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations, nice amp. I’m overdue for another Mesa.

7. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats.

8. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I have a 25/10 Recto. Pretty beastly.

Read the manual
    Read the manual
    Read the manual

One thing on mine im not sure applies to yours but I'll mention it. The mids are overwhelming. I ended up buying a 7 band eq. If you've ever noticed on a Mesa with built in eq you'll see the Mesa V shape. There's a reason for that. Also, they want to run hard. Yeah, they have a master volume but they like being run pretty wide open. I got a volume pedal too. I run both eq and volume in the loop

9. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

Thanks! I'm definitely loving it so far. I haven't had much chance to open it up (gotta wait for my neighbors to leave the house, I think), but even at "slightly too loud for the neighborhood" levels, it's a beast. Very much the sound that was in my head all these years.
    The switching capability on this is something I need to learn a bit, but with cursory testing, I've been able to make it do all kinds of the "classic" tones.
    A buddy of mine has some tubes to lend me, so I can A/B the EL34s against these 6L6s and see what I dig more in that respect.

And I don't know if it's considered blasphemy, but I ordered different knobs so I can actually see how this thing is EQ'd better on the fly (of course, keeping the originals in a safe place in case my amp tastes decide to shift again).

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome. I just got a Mesa this last week myself. Congrats!

12. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

Congrats to you, too! They tend to bring a certain joy, don't they? I mean, if you're into sounding amazing that is :D

There's a set of EL34s here now for me to test out vs the 6L6s. I'm interested to see what I actually notice between the 2.

13. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

Okay, now I can see the knob settings:

IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg

It also shaved a full pound off the amp's weight (now it's only 62 lbs! :eek:).

14. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

Couldn't resist doing the green pilot light either:

IMG_0021.jpg

I actually bought a bunch of the 6.3v bayonet style #47 LED bulbs, in every color they had (red, yellow, blue, green, clear). They need a little bit of "shaving" to fit in the hole there, but I have options now. Gonna likely need a clear lens, as well as a purple one to have every color possible.
    The green looked the awesomest though...

Zoso420 and superjam144 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.