NAD: Mesa Boogie California Tweed

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by hotcoffeenochill, Jun 20, 2021.

1. hotcoffeenochill

hotcoffeenochill TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

My first Boogie. Got it a few days ago, actually. Been playing it so much I haven't even removed the tags yet. I'm having the time of my life on it. Great base for a slide rig. Not really enough gain on it's own with the tele to pull it off but it adopted my pedalboard with only minor tweaks. P90s roar with it. The EQ was pretty easy to sort out too. The onboard reverb is nice but gets a bit too much for me past about 9 o'clock even without running much gain. It's my first amp with a master volume, and I've found it to be quite effective. I still like to play it loud if I can, but it doesn't take too much away when I need things to be reasonable to disappoint me. The owner's manual might be the most comprehensive and thought-out manual I've ever had come with an amp. It really helped me to understand how the EQ worked, how it interacted with the other EQ knobs, and how it responded to changes in volume and gain.

I was running a Marshall SV20H prior but after a few days with this it went up for sale. I've been using the Boogie through a 1x12 with an Alnico Cream. As you can see, it's kind of big for the 1x12. Always wanted to run a 2x10, so that may be the next purchase. If any of you have this amp or another tweed-style circuit and run a 2x10, let me know your thoughts on speakers. Right now I'm leaning towards an American-style and an 65W Creamback, but I'm open to suggestions. I have the 12" GA-SC64 in the 70s Deluxe Reverb and absolutely adore it, but the 10" version of that speaker is only 20W. If any of you know of a similar speaker with a bit more power-handling, let me know.

2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The combo version is an amp I would really like to have.

3. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Very cool! I've been really curious about them, but Mesas are beyond my budget, and I rarely see them at shops for a demo.

I play a Fender Prosonic, which is a 2x10 combo based on the 5f6a tweed Bassman circuit. Not a perfect comparison to yours, but similar circuit base and has a similar interactive tone stack. I've run a 10" WGS G10c and Celestion V10 (10" version of the Vintage 30) in it, as well as a 1x12 V30 and a pair of Jensen C10R's. My current speakers are a pair of Celestion G10 Greenbacks, and I love them. I play a combo of Teles and Les Pauls, and it sounds great. I would think a Creamback or Greenback would sound really good with yours, especially if you wanted to pair it with something more American-voiced.

hotcoffeenochill likes this.
  4. hotcoffeenochill

Yeah the SV20 and a guitar had to go to make room for this. And I bought it on merit and hope, and I got lucky that it was what I was hoping it was. Probably not the best method, but here we are.

Thank you for the insight. I had to look up the Prosonic but it looks like a cool amp. Do you like the 2x10 or would you change it if you could? I have been looking at that WGS speaker as an option. I had their 12" ET65 before the Alnico Cream came along and it was a very nice speaker. Never got along with V30s or any of the riffs based on the V30s, so probably will not check out the V10.

Thanks again, I appreciate your comment.

5. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

I love these amps.

6. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I had a Lonestar Special but couldn't manage the number of knobs. Your Tweed looks a lot easier to dial in. What really has me drooling is the Tele, the Jr and the Guild is it? I think I could walk up to your pictured rig and starting with the Tele, plug straight in and gradually move to the Junior etc. while trading the amps back and forth. Looks like a great way to spend a week!

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My dream amp right there. Congrats and enjoy.

bluesholyman likes this.
  8. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Congrats on the amp - these are stellar. Word from my sales guy at Sweetwater is that Mesa is not building anything else this year - only what is currently released is all thats available through the end of the year. Glad you found one.

I have had mine, the combo, for about 1.5 years and I love it - great sounding amp.

As for 10" speakers, it will not be cheap (~$500 for the pair,) but look at the Jensen Blackbird 10. The 12" is in the combo and it sounds stellar. To be as close to the combo sound, except for the 10/12 difference, the 10" Blackbird would be the ticket. I ran the 10" blackbird in a Mesa Subway blues sometime back and it just rocked.

https://www.jensentone.com/jet-series/10-blackbird-100

This was taken about the time I got the amp #4xx. Love it. If I have any recommendations, read the manual and understand the description of the controls and how they interact.

IMG_1595.jpeg

9. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I love the 2x10. I'm a solid convert. I would also skip the V10. I never was a big fan of the V30 in that platform as 1x12. The V10 sounded fine paired with the WGS, but I like the Greenbacks much better.

kookaburra and hotcoffeenochill like this.
  10. hotcoffeenochill

Yeah, part of the draw of the amp was the simple layout. And yes, the Guild is a new-ish M75 Aristocrat. Cool guitar. Love the hollowbody sans f-holes and the P90s are unique.

MickM likes this.
  11. hotcoffeenochill

I had a bad feeling about that when I went to Sweetwater and it told me to "call for details". That's never been good news. This was the last new one I could find on Reverb. Did some quick budget shuffling, listed a few items, and jumped on it.
    Good to know. I was wondering if the obvious choice of the speakers that come in the combo would be the ticket. Like you said though, that's a pricey commitment.

Yes! The manual was an hour's read but worth it. It was incredibly thorough. Most manuals I've gotten with amps seem to just be boilerplate text.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  12. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

+1 on reading the manual. Mesa is a different beast. I got a Rectoverb for Christmas. I was expecting a learning curve and I got it. Worth it in the end though

bluesholyman likes this.
  13. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I’d play it.
    Well done!

14. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Holic

Another Prosonic owner here.
    I've played mine through 12''s and can honestly say I prefer 10"s.
    Mine came with Eminence Copperheads, American voiced speakers. They're keepers, full-bodied, with great top end, never ice picky. And they're not expensive.

15. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

dang, those are one of my dream amps!

bluesholyman likes this.
  16. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Afflicted

Congrats and Nice pedal board too.

17. hotcoffeenochill

Thank you for the recommendation. I hadn't looked at the Copperhead until you mentioned it. Was looking at some of their Legends instead but the Copperhead looks to a bit more of what I was wanting. Cheers!

18. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Afflicted

beautiful amp,congrats!

19. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee TDPRI Member

When I run 6V6's in my Mark RI (which is fairly close to the CA Tweed circuit) I use it with a 2x10 loaded with 30w Weber 10A125's. They're a little brighter than the 50w's and compress/crunch pretty well when the master is open. With 6L6's I use a quartet of Copperheads in a 4x10 and those are fantastic too but are more efficient and quite a bit louder.

20. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I've been dogging on those Guilds since I saw a guy playing a couple with Jack White and didn't have a clue that they were hollow. I thought they were Guilds version of the Les Paul.... silly me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.