1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD - Marshall Studio Classic SC20C

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by black_doug, Jun 12, 2020.

1. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Our music stores are open again so I went in and played this for a couple hours. It followed me home.

20200612_195539.jpg

stevemc, Jakedog, teletimetx and 9 others like this.
  2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That’s a great one, you can’t go wrong with a vertical input JCM800.

Congratulations!

black_doug likes this.
  3. black_doug

I was going in to play the Marshall Silver Jubilee RI head. I knew what to expect because my first amp was the original 50W combo from 1987. It had to be sold later after I got laid off and the bills were piling up. But I always loved the sound of that amp.

However, once I got there today I decided I don't really need any channel switching. And I never used it on the one I used to have. I get extra dirt from my pedals. The rhythm clip feature is nice but I never used to use it enough to warrant the extra $$ for a Jubilee. That's when I saw the Studio Classic. I thought it was likely to sound the same. And yes, it's got it.

Jakedog and stormsedge like this.
  4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nice! Congratulations.

black_doug likes this.
  5. black_doug

Thanks. I'll use it in the worship band. The DI with speaker emulation is a nice option to have.

tah1962 likes this.
  6. black_doug

Spending more time with this amp with my Strat plugged straight in, instead of a Tele. It has the CS Fat 50s pickups.

I just love how the notes bloom. It's very touch-sensitive. And it has a lovely shimmer when I let a chord ring.

Whether on 20W or the 5W setting it sounds great. And plugged into the Low input it gives up a clear clean tone that's also a good tone with the Strat.

The EQ is very responsive. I get great tone no matter where it's set.

I'm pleased with all the different sounds I'm getting from this amp. I think it has a lot to do with the big-bottle EL34s.

20200614_225740.jpg

7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

I think it has a lot more to do with the cascaded pre-amp circuit design, coupled with a MASTER VOLUME than the power tubes used. The circuit was a winner when Marshall first released it, still is a winner and has changed little over the years.

Who says Marshalls can't do clean sounds? While not Fender cleans, Marshalls have their own mid focused cleans that can be sublime! Put a nice reverb (and maybe even delay) in the loop and you'll never miss a Deluxe Reverb again!

Great lookin' Strat, by the way!

Enjoy Your HNAD & Many More!
    Gene

Jakedog and black_doug like this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It's actually the Bassman legacy cathode follower I think that adds the touch response. On these I think it sits across the EQ recovery and effects loop mix amp.

I had the Mini-Jubilee now rebadged Studio Jubilee and it was a great amp - very present in a band mix. The clean pre almost took you to JCM territory.

I am very interested in both the SC and SV20.

black_doug likes this.
  9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats. They don't get much better in amp world.. similar spec to my JMP.

i had a JCM800 like that many years ago (2x12”) and it was killer but no FX loop. I see the appeal.

The DSL crunch channel gets close.

black_doug likes this.
  10. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Studio series are great amps for the modern situation. I have the SV20H & thinking of SC20c myself . There's a hundred pages on the Marshall forum & I think some are even experimenting with 6l6's as they are cathode bias. They are no "bedroom" amp but through a 1x12 in 5w with just a eq pedal in the loop gets mine close when needed. Most that need to attenuate seem to be running heads into 2x or 4x12's.

black_doug likes this.
  11. black_doug

I haven't compared schematics but it makes sense. I almost bought a RI Bassman except that it was too loud.

12. black_doug

I'm glad to hear that they're cathode biased. With this and the other features, I can predict that this will get more use than my Dr. Z Z-28, which is fixed bias, and has no effects loop or master volume. (It would help if I learned how to bias my own amps though.)

13. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Very nice!

black_doug likes this.
  14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I was curious about those.

black_doug likes this.
  15. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I swapped tubes in my MJ - just got matched Shuguang EL34s and popped them in. They worked perfectly.

EL34s run at low voltage should last just about forever.

When these switch to 5w it's like the old Fender Evil Twin on 25w setting and engages a lower B+. It's better sounding than a pentrode/triode setup.

black_doug likes this.
  16. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

They are cool little amps.
    I had the studio vintage combo for a while and messed up and got rid of it. I want both the classic and vintage heads now.

black_doug likes this.
  17. black_doug

Yeah, I never really liked the pentode/triode option on the Silver Jubilee. The tone changed too much.

18. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

Congrats!

When I started this whole learning guitar thing I started out with a Fender practice amp. That went back to GC after three weeks and was swapped for a Boss Katana Mark 2. That's now keeping the study door propped open as I can't get enough money for it to make it worth selling.

I'm now using an Origin 50 watt combo (5, 25? or 50 watt switchable) which I bought just before the lockdown.

It has an FX loop and a boost pedal as part of the package. Cleans are clean enough, especially with the gain turned down, and it goes into a nice classic 70s/80s crunch without any pedals at all. It also has a little mechanical reverb going on somehow.

Although it's a Vietnamese made Marshall it has all the same tubes as a Milton Keynes made one, and Marshall USA provides a 5 year parts and labor warranty too.

black_doug likes this.
  19. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

PS double JCM800 100 watt heads and four 1960 cabinets when I win the lottery and move out to the country :cool:

black_doug likes this.
  20. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have always preferred Marshall cleans to Fender sounds. I think they’re vastly superior. They can sound really “off” to people used to F amps. I maintain this is in large part due to the missing reverb. I maintain this is also why non-reverb fender amps are not nearly as popular as the reverb models. All the tone and special sound people talk about is mostly the reverb, which is admittedly awesome.

For non-verb Fenders, the tweeds are the most popular, and they were much closer to Brit circuits. Or should we say Brit circuits were close to being early fenders...

Add a reverb to a Marshall clean sound? Now we’re cooking with gas!

Tim S and black_doug like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.