1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD: Marshall Origin 20H

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JBFatFingers, Jun 9, 2019.

1. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

78A15D30-0A34-40DE-8A9B-3B96B333B260.jpeg
    Still playing around with settings, but really enjoying it so far. Wouldn’t say it’s great for pristine cleans, but clean-ish and crunchy sounds are great. Not convinced it needed both the tilt and the presence, as they’re similar enough to be duplicative IMHO. Only used it on the mid power setting (about 3W) which is plenty for home play, will save the 20W setting for getting together with buddies. Paired with my (also new) Harley Benton 112 cab with a Celestion Vintage 30, which I’m expecting to sound even better as it breaks in.

2. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats !! nice amp !think of tilt like a 4 holer..its designed to lean it treble or normal channel. Presence on a marshall circuit goes hand & hand with the treble adjustment & really can dial in the feel of the amp..so many sounds in that amp with those controls. Clean 5 on guitar 7 for crunch & dime for leads..find that sweet spot where the amp breaks on 7 on guitar vol & you wont need a pedal.

JBFatFingers likes this.
  3. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Dude, we have that same carpet. Overstock.com?

I thought the whole idea of the Origin was a "cleaner" amp without as much gain as the "other" Marshalls. I was thinking of getting the combo though. Could your cabinet be having some effect?

4. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nice!

Want!

5. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Think of the Drive knob on the Origin like the one on a JCM 800.

The Origin doesn’t have quite that much drive on tap. But is similar in that it sounds great with the Drive turned up. Amp gets thicker and comes alive. Don’t be afraid to pull for gain boost and crank the knob.

JBFatFingers likes this.
  6. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

If you put the cab on its side, is it the same width as the head?

/not that it matters in the slightest

7. JBFatFingers

Pretty sure this is an Ikea rug. As for the clean sounds, it's definitely cleaner than a JCM800 or even a DSL, but it's not, say, Blackface clean. But that's not really the sound I'm going for anyway. The cab probably does have some effect, as the consensus seems to be that the Vintage 30 is designed for dirty tones. The base Marshall cab with the Seventy 80 would probably be better if you wanted cleaner tones out of the Origin.

Telecasterless likes this.
  8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I've wanted one for a while now.
    I cooouuuld just buy one but I'm forcing myself to fund it by selling other gear.
    I'm up to $326 so far.

9. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude TDPRI Member

20190409_114923.jpg I run mine through a creamback and the cleans are great, so it may well be the speaker. I had a similar sized cab when I got mine, and eventually the overhang bugged me so much I sold it and ordered an oversized 1x12 from Zilla.

LuthRavin, bryan83 and telemnemonics like this.
  10. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Congrats on the new head! Love my 20C.

Yeah, the Tilt is great for adding some bottom oomph when you use the 1/2 watt setting also. Like @bftfender says, it is like using the two volumes on a 4 hole Marshall Plexi and wiggling the volumes back and forth, leaning (Tilting) towards the Treble and Normal channels. Presence on the other hand, has more effect on just Treble. It is more a subtractive control, whereas Tilt is a balance (I am eagerly awaiting a schematic to really kinda look at it all)

I quietly describe the cleans on these as almost tweed-like. A little darker, though, maybe more mids all over? They are definitely not Twin-scooped cleans! But, they have a nice edge of break up thing going on. They are also definitely not high gain either. Although, in all honesty, they are about as high gain as I ever need!

11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Nice! I'm happy with my DSL20, but I still want to try an origin when I get the chance. I don't need nearly the amount of gain the DSLs have.

But I just I have to say, above all, the rug really ties the room together.

12. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Playing the 20c combo with a greenback in it for a few months now, favorite amp these days, work well with a variety of dirt pedals in front of it but the Lovepedal JTM really makes this amp sing. Tchula works nearly as well but the JTM just has the sound.

bftfender likes this.
  13. bftfender

Great description !! The Origin is def a very good amp. I always thought, the Origin & DSL that year..together, you pretty much can cover pretty much anything. pretty cool they made a very plexi like amp with modern features at the price they did. I would def have one if i wasn't on amp overload. !! I have the plexi's & my friends Origin can hang for sure !! We took my 1987 2204 & he did some tilt movement & treble back to about 11 o'clock & presence at about 2 O'clock..yeah..it matched pretty good.

Axis29 and JBFatFingers like this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

So are the cleans not great/ pristine on the 3w setting?
    Or did you try the clean range on the full power setting?

This amp interests me but there's a lot of competition in the small dirty tube amp market.

What I miss from all those amps is the clean headroom.
    I'd be interested in what it does at the full power setting, including the dirty sounds.

My feeling is we only need to use the lower power settings for super low volume of for really muddy sounds.
    A 20w amp should offer lots of dirt running at full power, plus cleans that are clean.
    I use the 7w setting on my OR15 only when I need to be super quiet, but it has a good amount of preamp gain on tap so there's that.

I just feel a need to shake a stick at the idea that we need an amp running at 3 watts for use at home...

JBFatFingers and bftfender like this.
  15. telemnemonics

I love Marshall clean sounds and get a nice range from my 18w and 50w Marshalls.
    How is the distorted range at the full output setting?

bftfender likes this.
  16. JBFatFingers

That's a good point, I haven't tried the cleans on the full 20W setting.

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

I'd think and hope that there might be at least some early Angus dirty sounds if not cranked JCM800 grind at full power.
    Again though, I really oughtta play one for myself!
    More inclined toward a 50w something or other, but the Origin 20 uses a pair of el34 power tubes so might still have a good clean range before the OT saturates.

18. JBFatFingers

Others' mileage may vary, I've just felt that the "cleans" are a little brittle, a little harsh, maybe? But again, that may well be a function of playing through a new Vintage 30 that hasn't been broken in, and the crunchy sound (which is where I'm usually at anyway) has been phenomenal.

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. bftfender

from a going thru all things marshall in last year. The marshall clean on the Origin reacts just like a plexi..the more you turn the master the more it has headroom(adjust channel vol or tilt accordingly)..same as jtm45..i want cleans turn MV up & back off channel volume. Good headroom , run guitar on 5 for chords-7 at breakup & dime for leads..you forget after awhile to step on a pedal cause it almost all there..maybe a boost to kick it up but rarely do i use a pedal to color a marshall or pop mids..most pedals are just double boosting what marshall already has..Been layering a jtm45 for rhythm & jmp for 50 leads this past month in studio..my guy is like, there is hardly any re EQ'ing to re do..it just works with proper pickup selection. The Origin would be a fantastic choice for the home player & to a stage..you can retain tone just by manipulation of MV & Tilt...i think if everybody could spend time with a 4 holer..it teaches so much..then you want the ultimate M for strat & Gibson switching mid show..Marshall Vintage Modern ..they nailed it..kt66 jtm45 on low & boost it just screams & its matched with the made edition Hendrix plexi g12c greenbacks that just are more aggressive than g12m but still a greenback..man you got an amp that chimes with the best & thumps with the best

JBFatFingers and telemnemonics like this.
  20. telemnemonics

Yeah I certainly find new speakers sounds pretty lousy clean until broken in.
    I have a bunch of V30s of different ages and they all sound different, so they seem to change over a long period.
    Also not my favorite speaker for clean sounds, but not really bad either.

JBFatFingers likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.