NAD : Marshall DSL combo

Frenchy_JC

TDPRI Member
Hello,

Even if I am sold to VOX & in love with my AC15C1, I need an amp with "modern" features : playable clean, crunch and classic overdrive with only a Telecaster straight to the amp, without pedal, volume compatible with a domestic use in the family house, capability to enter a MP3 signal to jam along alone and, cherry on the cake, usable with headphones... and not too expensive.

Hard to find... since today (in fact last week)... with a Marshall combo : the DSL20CR.

Yes, it is branded Marshall (not so usual with a Telecaster isn't ?) but made in Vietnam instead of UK (to reduce costs).
Yes, the factory installed Celestion is a simple Seventy 80 but I plan to swap it with a Celestion V-Type (I think those Greenback, Creamback even if classical are too expensive for this combo and the V-Type is a kind of bargain) if, after burning in for several weeks, the Seventy 80 continue to sound harsh.
Yes, there is some "hiss" (this hiss sounds "like" the wind) that come from the digital embedded reverb if you set it after noon but I will not use this reverb because it sound liveless (I plan to use a pedal, Fender Tre-Verb that do reverb and tremolo, through the FX loop).

For a Marshall, the clean are really beautiful and perfectly usable even if they not reach the quality of my VOX clean.
Crunch is almost vintage sounding and the high gain channel, typically Marshall sounding (more like a JCM800 sound than a JCM900).
I can play all styles (mainly jazz, blues and very classic rock & surf for me, no metal) with it.

Therefore, to practice at home, jam alone with MP3 backtracks, just for pleasure, it is a perfect workhorse.
I am not in love with it like I am with my VOX but this MARSHALL is more versatile and useful daily. A perfect fit for my needs and helps where the VOX reach his limits (headphones, MP3 in).

If money were not matter, my first choice after listening was the Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550C combo... but it is between 2 and 3 times more expensive than the DSL20CR ... and don't provide 2-3 times as much (moreover it can not be used with headphones and lack the MP3 input feature).

It seems that the DSL20CR is a well thinked and marketed product, with a good construction and a very good sounding (except the crap embedded digital reverb).

I need to learn it because of settings that are very different than the VOX approach. But it sound at my taste already.

IMG_3302_DxO.jpg

IMG_3303_DxO.jpg

IMG_3304_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

Neptical

TDPRI Member
Congrats OP! Killer amps. To me, there is nothing like the tone of an SD-1 in the front of a Marshall. Enjoy!

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes, it is branded Marshall (not so usual with a Telecaster isn't ?) but made in Vietnam instead of UK (to reduce costs).

The Origin Line is also made in Vietnam... they are holding up fine and sound great.

IMO - a Telecaster and a Marshall have produced some iconic guitar tones over the years. They are a great combination.

Teleskopic

TDPRI Member
I’m sure you’ll really enjoy this amp. I have the 1watt baby of the range and love it.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Glad you found something within your price range that would meet your needs. The face plate brings back memories. I played through a Marshall DSL 401 for a few years. I always liked that amp. The 401 used 4 EL-84s instead of 2 EL-34s. Other than Vox it was my first foray into EL-84 output tubes. I was surprised at how EL-84s sounded when used with amp circuits other than Vox. This became my path for future amp purchases. Today, the majority of my amps all use EL-84s. Bruno, Cornford, Mesa and Dr. Z models.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
What does the "Resonance" control do?
If you know how a Presence control interacts with the power section to provide additional high-end treble, the Resonance works in a similar fashion to provide additional low-end bass (it can be addicting, especially if there’s no bass player around)

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
That seems like a really cool feature!

I think I understand that Presence is a negative feedback control, does Resonance work the same way? ( if that is even correct ).

gusmc01

TDPRI Member
Nice amps, I have two. Definitelty swap the speaker to the V-type. It sounds great in these amps!

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
Don't give up on that speaker, until you've really put some hours into it. You may be pleasantly surprised. :)

DannyBigShots

TDPRI Member
Happy NAD! I've come around on my DSL40CR quite a bit after some tube suggestions from @Tim S and a tweak to the bias. I also put a Creamback in mine instead of the V-type and really love it now. Enjoy!

giogolf

Tele-Meister
Very nice.. have any of you compared the DSL to the Origin line of Marshall amps? I want to add a 5-20w Marshall to my small amp collection to round it out.. Head or Combo is fine..

DSL5, DSL20, Origin 5 and Origin 20 are on my list, unfortunately there are none around me to try out with my own ears..

I have me Fender clean and tweed tones covered by my Princeton and Champ.. Now to get that Plexi tone :)