1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD: Made my decision: Fender 57 Custom Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jared Purdy, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

OMG, jumpering the channels yields very drastic and obvious results. I can't imagine how someone could say otherwise.

2. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

...sorry, but... hate you...
    I sooooooo long for...

Jared Purdy likes this.
  3. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I've read in multiple places that people who own this amp either couldn't detect any noticeable difference, or it was so subtle so as to not bother. Currently, I'm in the latter camp.

Maybe it has to do with the settings. I don't use the same settings for both my Strat and LP. They are very different, but I have used the jumper with both guitars. I'd say that with the way I have it set up, the difference is negligible with both guitars.

I'm interested in hearing what settings you have dialed into the amp and into the guitar.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  4. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Best purchase I made in the last year was an ABY pedal. Now you have a two channel amp with channel switching and jumpering on the fly. I threw away my clean solo boost pedal. So I have the normal channel set to one level and the bright set similarly. I can flip between them depending on what guitar or pickup set I'm playing, and then for lead or solo boost I kick on the "Y" setting so both are on and it's like having a jumper between the two.

Honestly, if you have a Tweed amp do yourselves a favour and buy an ABY pedal. You're only using half your amp otherwise.

5. Jared Purdy

I'm not sure how an ABY pedal would solve the problem of channel switching? I still have to change the controls on the amp from the LP to Strat. I don't just use one volume control for one guitar and the other volume control for the other guitar. Both volume controls are dialled in respectively for each guitar, and the tone control is also adjusted differently.

As we both know, the Instrument volume doesn't sound like the Mic volume. They are very different beasts, and that is the joy about them when they are used together, for the same guitar. That's the magic of the Deluxe. That's the mojo!

I'm not interested in having the Deluxe perform like a two channel amp. I play in my house, at fairly volume friendly levels, even when it's just me in the house. I'm mostly after cleans, with a little bit of grit that can be had with a pick attack.

The video where Larry Carlton explains how he uses the amp is exactly me. Straight in, no pedals. I might by a reverb pedal, but at this point I don't see the need. I love the natural organic sound of that amp, plugged striaght in. I have a 64' Custom hand Wired PR that's got reverb.

I'm definitely not only using half the amp. In fact, by using two very different guitars, and changing the tone and volume controls to suit each one, I'd say I'm using the whole thing!

I'd still like to hear more about people's experience with the jumper. All it takes is a Google "using jumpers in a Fender 57 Deluxe", and you'll see a load of responses, from TDPRI and the Gear Page, and a lot of those replies give it a thumbs down. I read a few that claimed they heard a difference. As I mentioned in my earlier post, if I heard anything, it was negligible. My only guess is it must be the way I have the volume and the tone controls set, along with the settings on the guitar.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  6. Jared Purdy

Based on the settings that I have set right now, I can definitely hear a difference when the inputs are bridged. I have the guitar plugged into Instrument input 1, and I bridged Mic input 1 and Instrument input 2. There was a noticeable increase in volume, though not much change in tone. If i needed the extra volume, I'd probably leave it bridged, but I don't need the extra volume so I removed the bridge.

7. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Wow! Sweet amp, congrats

Jared Purdy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.