1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD: Made my decision: Fender 57 Custom Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jared Purdy, Nov 1, 2020.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Coming from a fellow Swart lover, that holds water with me. Clean and semi-clean is why I have always wanted a 5E3... at least to try one for awhile... many jazzers dig it. Can you compare it to the AST circuit? Like, with an AST do you NEED a 5E3?

Jared Purdy likes this.
  2. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

One of the reasons I sold my AST MkII Master was because of the mids. It bothered my ears. It wasn't nearly as noticeable to me with my Strat, but with the Les Paul, I found it to be an issue. I spoke to Michael about it and he sad a cap or resistor mod (can't remember which) would fix it, but that it would totally change the tone of the amp. My amp technician said the same thing. It was unfortunate, because Michael builds an amazing product.

I don't find there to be a whole lot similarity between them, other than they are both very simple designs, and look fantastic. Michael's build quality is likely better, at least in his selection of the various components. With the 5E3, the breakup is totally natural, there is no master volume (though it can be added), unlike the AST Master.

Do you need a 5E3 with an AST Master? Good question. You'd have to do any A/B with them to really hear the sound difference. It's been a couple of years since I sold mine. One of the things that I keep hearing/reading about the Deluxe, is the "mojo" factor. It's the original design, simple and seemingly magical. It's one of the best examples of alchemy in an amp I can think of. The interactiveness in those controls and the inputs is baffling - to a lay person like me. I like the mojo.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    jman72 likes this.
  3. ruger9

Well, the Mids is why I love the AST circuit, and especially with a tele. I could see how a LP might be an issue? Did you consider a speaker change?

Well, but you can defeat the MV and then you've got a NMV amp... it'll break up...?

I remember I fell in love with the 5e3, actually the Tungsten Crema Wheat, about the same time as the AST, both from GergV's demos. I asked Greg about them, and he said they were very similar... basically, the AST is a little more focused in the high mids, whereas the CW was a little more focused in the low mids. But his demo of the CW, and how it responds.... amazing. Did you find the AST to respond like that (MV defeated, of course)?:

rze99 and Jared Purdy like this.
  4. Jared Purdy

I honestly don't remember. Been a couple of years. I almost always played it with the Master engaged.

5. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

Is there much clean headroom with volume?

6. Jared Purdy

I just played around with the controls, using Carlton's technique. I set all controls on the amp to 0, plugged into Instrument input 1. I set the tone control to 6 (halfway), and then started advancing the Instrument volume. I stopped at 4, and left the mic volume at 0. On the Les Paul, the PU selector was in the middle, both tone controls were full, bridge PU set to 7 and neck PU set to 3. That's a very nice sound. Caveat emptor: The wife is sleeping (worked last night), so I didn't dig in. I'll do that when she gets up. Next, I'll try moving the mic volume control and try the bridge technique.

7. Jared Purdy

You mean volume on high? If that's what you're asking, I haven't cranked it much. I've been looking for the sweet spot.

8. Jared Purdy

I saw that in the 50's they paired that speaker with the Deluxe, and a number of other amps. How much for the p12q? There's also a 1958 p12n for sale on reverb. It's in excellent shape. I'm tempted.

I wonder why Fender didn't use the current Jensen P12Q? It's used in the Custom 64' Hand Wired PR and sounds fantastic.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  9. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Just FYI: the P12N is going to have a bigger voice coil and will be rated a bit higher in terms of wattage handling. To some, this can make a 5e3 sound "stiffer" than the stock P12Q that came with the deluxe originally, but it will provide more headroom since it's a more efficient speaker. I have a p12n in my 5e3 and I like it, but mine also has a 6.6ohm DR output transformer and tweaked power supply. YMMV on what sounds best to you, but if you have a stock 57RI, the p12q might be a better fit. Another great one that has gotten rave reviews is the Weber 12f125a, or the variant that Rondo sells in his speed shop as an A12Q.

Also, some folks on here and elsewhere REALLY don't like the Jensen reissues. I have not heard them myself, so I can't comment directly - a search here will turn up some good information.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  10. Jared Purdy

I've heard about the Weber, and I have read the numerous complaints regarding the current Jensens. I think the P10Q (I believe that's what it is) in my 64 Custom sounds fantastic. I have no reason to even think about changing it.

JamesAM likes this.
  11. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Looks like they come with a P10R, which will be a little bit less efficient (the lower in the alphabet you get, the smaller the voice coil and the lower the efficiency) - I bet that thing sings. You've got some cool amps!

Jared Purdy likes this.
  12. Jared Purdy

Ya, I could have just checked!! Doh! Too many emails to deal with from students. That's my excuse. Yes, the amps are nice, and so too are my guitars, and from a capability standpoint, I'm not worthy of any of it! However, I do appreciate quality craftsmanship and I've always been a fan of original design.

13. Jared Purdy

I took a leap of faith and ordered the Jensen P12Q for the Deluxe. Should have it in a couple of days. I did a search and found a lot of comments on this site as well as on The Gear Page. I'd say I read more threads that were in favour of it than not. Of course, there's always a shoot out between those who prefer Weber. To be expected.

JamesAM likes this.
  14. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats.

15. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I have never heard a better 5e3. Or a better demo of one. This made me get one made for me. I get close to this at least good enough to satisfy me.

ruger9 likes this.
  16. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

This video is what sold me on one too. That tele sounds amazing through it!

ruger9 and Jared Purdy like this.
  17. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Great choice- I bet after that speaker breaks in, it’s going to sound awesome! Have a blast!

Jared Purdy likes this.
  18. ruger9

I'm not sure Tungsten Amps is still building... I think he MIGHT do only custom orders now? His website doesn't really work, and his FB page is 2 years without updates. I think he's instagram only. I always troll the auction sites for a used Crema Wheat.

rze99 likes this.
  19. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve never seen one in the UK ever.

Abbott built me a nice 5e3 with NOS valves at a very sensible price

20. ruger9

Well, the Tungsten Crema Wheat is a TWEAKED 5E3, with 6L6s, tighter low end, and a little more headroom. It's like a "little bigger" 5E3.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.