NAD! Lots of cursive.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Florida Sam, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Florida Sam

Florida Sam Tele-Meister

GC gets a bad rap a lot but sometimes there are some killer deals to ge had. I've been in the market for a nice 2x12 for a while but nothing struck my fancy...until this week.

Earlier this week I went to GC on my lunch break and found this killer Bogner open back 2x12 in too cool green. The price was $350.00 which alone is a steal for the cab. Imagine my shock when I looked around back and saw 2 Celestion Blues staring back at me. I immediately picked up the cab and walked to the register with a "Take my money" sense of urgency.

Hoping my lucky streak might continue I returned yesterday to find a near new Egnater Rebel 20 MKII priced at $175.00. Again, "Take my money".

They get along very nice.

However, the amp was good. Not amazing. I have a serious dislike of new manufacture 12ax7 tubes. Luckily I have a nice stash of lightly used vintage pieces.

I spent tonight rolling different tubes and found a combination that completely changed the amp from good to GREAT.

A near new 1963 CBS 7025 in position one. A 60's Mullard ECC-83 20170127_215957-01.jpeg in position two and a 60's RCA 12ax7a in position 3.

The chime increased 10 fold. The brightness was tamed and an overall tightening of everything blossomed. The clean sound went from a 7 to a 9.5. I couldn't be happier. This is a setup I could live with for a long time. The fact it was so cheap puts a smile on my face.

jaycoyoyo and JustABluesGuy like this.
  2. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Holy crap.

It sounds like the GC manager had a stroke prior to pricing it.

Steve Holt likes this.
  3. Florida Sam

Florida Sam Tele-Meister

They both were layaway that never got picked up/paid on. A new manager took over and had a fit when he saw how much stuff was sitting in the back.

I got a near new Cabronita Bigsby for $200.00 for the same reason recently. At least that's what I was told. They're basically charging a few bucks more than they paid for the used pieces to move them out. End of fiscal year bookkeeping.

Ira7 likes this.
  4. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That 2x12 cab looks nice. Congrats..

5. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Congrats, you did good!

6. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sweet deal!

7. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Congrats, enjoy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.