1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD ... Limo.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Obsessed, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Speaking of someone swearing off any new gear in 2020, it only took me 6 days.:oops:

Yup, I bought a Crate TX50TD Limo for my future solo gig sets that I am working on. It is an old USA model that looks in great shape and sounds equally well. My Epi EL-00 Pro sounds fantastic on it. The seller was a shredder and tested it out with one of those PRS pointy things. He's not even a dentist.;) Mic input is very impressive. At 50 watts, it is very loud which will really help for outside gigs. Electrics sound great and even my new Roland stomp box. The battery works, but he warned me that it was due for replacement. Both cords for 110 and 12VDC, so living off the grid, I have three options.:) With a mic, I can sound like I'm in a cathedral, while inside my tiny studio.:lol:

Anyway, thank yous go out to @BB , @LGOberean , and a special thanks to Tom for reaching out through a PM. All of you gave me excellent advice and so I already knew a lot when meeting this CL person and testing the amp. IMG_4224.JPG

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  2. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

LOL - way to go!

Congrats tho... I scored one from a thrift store a few years ago. Pretty Fab amps IMB.
    Yeah, the 12VDC rechargeable battery needs to get replaced every once in awhile esp if not charged regularly. Its an fairly cheap item tho (~$20) and there's even a lighter weight version available. Most of the weight of the amp is due to the battery.

Here's the type and part # of the stock battery -
    CSB GP1272 F1 12V / 7.2 AH HOME ALARM BATTERY

Obsessed likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Hey thanks. Yeah, my quick look at batteries was in the $12 range, but it was an old link. Nevertheless, $20 is fine for what I am doing. It really has everything I need. I can hardly wait to try a looper through it.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  4. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister

Ahh Jay-zuzz, now I've got the GAS!
    Funny, I won't even consider the Roland EX / 50 watter.
    But I'd go for a C-R-A-T-E made in good ol' St. Louie - USA.
    Great score!

Obsessed likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Thanks. It really sounds great on everything. The one big flaw is the DSP applies to both channels, but as pointed out in my thread asking about this amp, you can at least adjust the DSP selected individually on each channel. It has an insert port for additional effect too.

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Honorable mention for "excellent advice"! I don't recall ever being accused of that! :eek:

Glad you like it. As I told you, mine served me well for over a decade. In a way, I was a bit sad to let it go, but it was time. The amp was starting to show its age, its wear and tear. One of the flat blades that plugs into an electrical outlet was loose. Thankfully, with care it would connect and still charge the amp. It also had a broken 1-1/2” stand mount adapter, so I could no longer use the amp mounted on a speaker stand. After 10+ years of ownership and countless gigs in that time, the amp had paid for itself many times over. I used it as a trade in and got $100 knocked off the price of a new Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge.

Oh, and if your used Limo didn't come with a manual, or if you haven't found it yet online, here's a link: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/33111/Crate-Limo-Tx50d.html.

2 Headed Goat and Obsessed like this.
  7. Obsessed

Thanks. Yup, already found the manual online, but thanks for the link. It really does seem like a tank and your experience with one proves it.

8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, mine was a tank. It needed to be, with a klutz like me. I mentioned before that broken stand mount adapter. Well, the way I broke it proves how tough the cab and chassis was. I had it set up on a speaker stand, and as I was setting up for a gig, I got tangled up in the cable leading to it, so it came crashing down. That 1-1/2" stand mount adapter was plastic, and it broke. But there wasn't a thing wrong with the amp aside from that. I just set the amp on a table instead of the speaker stand and did the gig. That was several years ago, and I played a bunch of gigs with that Limo between that incident and when I traded it in.

Obsessed likes this.
  9. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think any electronic device is totally made in the USA. Assembled ...ok.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

Obsessed likes this.
  11. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats, happy new year.

12. Obsessed

Built in this century, it would be hard to believe, but it was probably a relatively low volume production line, so I could see even the PCB components being USA made. It has that low production look to it with the rear plate and the complex access for battery replacement. I would assume that the pots, input/output connectors along with the speaker's are imported. Crate eventually moved production of these over seas and replaced the housing with plastic.

ce24 likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Wow. That was lucky.

14. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister

Taxi?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.